Free Charging Sucks! Article: Here's Why Free Electric Car Charging Should be Banned

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The instructor was also senior admin staff, and he said "I put those in, and we have no issue with local people parking there to charge and then going to work nearby".
It is amazing how freely the government spends other people's money. Actually, it isn't amazing at all. It is pretty typical. Right Rick? šŸ‘
Sponsored

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
AT DCFC, I always charge to 100%, I am plugged in and charging faster than at home, I'll get the full 100% and get a couple more days of not needing to charge.

Sully11740

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium (on order)
Country flag
The writer's premise seems accurate but there is NO factual backup for what his premise, just opinion. Do we know that the "crowds" at chargers are actually people who have home chargers but want to save money? Without some sort of research into "why" particular EVs are charging at a specific place, this is pure conjecture.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
The writer's premise seems accurate but there is NO factual backup for what his premise, just opinion. Do we know that the "crowds" at chargers are actually people who have home chargers but want to save money? Without some sort of research into "why" particular EVs are charging at a specific place, this is pure conjecture.
IT's a very fair assumption to make, also, all you gotta do is talk to anyone driving an ID.4 or a Hyundai Ioniq 5 and they will tell you they DCFC all the time cause it's free.

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium RWD ER
Country flag
Many of the people occupying the DC fast charge plugs for long periods live within a few miles of the station and have the ability to charge their EVs at home, but they don't because they were offered free, unlimited charging when they purchased or leased the EV.
And the writer knows this how, exactly?

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I hope that @mkhuffman doesn't give up EVs, because that would eliminate a major source of pleasure I get at reading his posts and laughing...
I wondered who is this Huffman only to realize I ignored him long ago.

BugStomper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD, Std battery
Country flag
The article is click bait, there is no such thing as "free" charging.

The BEV manufacture either buys wholesale credits for companies like EA, e.g. Ford, or they build out their charging infrastructure, e.g. Tesla.

In both cases these costs lower the margin on the vehicle they sell. The lower margin hurts their profit on each BEV which in the drives the price of their stock holders (same for both private or public companies)

The consumer, the buyer of a BEV is paying for all the "free charging" in the form of increased list price whether or not if they use them.

If Ford stopped offering "free charging" credits, would the list price of a MME decrease? doubt it, but it would certainly increase their profit margin on each BEV sold.

As person who can charge at home, I would preferred a credit / rebate instead of "free charging" credits when I bought my MME.

The article is just a rehash of the same old story, more BEV vehicles then available charging stations.

Last edited:

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
OK. Let me throw the cat among the pigeons. After a road trip to my winter home I was at around 20%. Iā€™m not comfortable there as there are no DC chargers nearby in case of emergency so I took the car to a nearby free L2 charger at a mall to bring the base charge up to 80+ which took pretty much all day. Since then Iā€™ve been recharging at home on my L1 outlet. How bad of a person am I? PS, there are 4 chargers. It wasnā€™t full when I arrived but was when I left. This is nowhere near an interstate so very little road trip traffic. The only posted rules are no overnight charging so I wonā€™t do that.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
OK. Let me throw the cat among the pigeons. After a road trip to my winter home I was at around 20%. Iā€™m not comfortable there as there are no DC chargers nearby in case of emergency so I took the car to a nearby free L2 charger at a mall to bring the base charge up to 80+ which took pretty much all day. Since then Iā€™ve been recharging at home on my L1 outlet. How bad of a person am I? PS, there are 4 chargers. It wasnā€™t full when I arrived but was when I left. This is nowhere near an interstate so very little road trip traffic. The only posted rules are no overnight charging so I wonā€™t do that.
That is theft unless you were at the mall using the products or services offered there. So I guess it depends on how you feel about theft. Is theft wrong?

Personally I think it is OK as long as you used the mall and bought some stuff. Maybe went to the Target and did your grocery shopping. Or ate lunch in one of the restaurants. But in reality you should not leave the car there all day unless you are spending all day shopping in the mall. Nobody really does that.

It is time to upgrade your outlet so you don't get in this situation where you feel you have to steal electricity from a privately owned business. It is sort of like plugging into your neighbor's outdoor outlet without their permission, I think.
Sponsored