Free HOV use for EV in NC - Where can we go?

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium Space White
Country flag
  • Banned
I'm wondering if anyone in the Charlotte or surrounding areas has tracked down where all we can drive for free in the HOV lanes? I am in the Cornelius area and am hoping I can use the I77 lanes, but didn't get any information when I called the NC Quickpass folks about it. Here is the statute.

GS_20-146.2.pdf (ncleg.gov)

They mentioned they were HOT lanes, not HOV, but they say HOV everywhere, including on their site. Anyone else having anymore luck with this?
Sponsored

Racing_Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, '04 Silverado
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm wondering if anyone in the Charlotte or surrounding areas has tracked down where all we can drive for free in the HOV lanes? I am in the Cornelius area and am hoping I can use the I77 lanes, but didn't get any information when I called the NC Quickpass folks about it. Here is the statute.

GS_20-146.2.pdf (ncleg.gov)

They mentioned they were HOT lanes, not HOV, but they say HOV everywhere, including on their site. Anyone else having anymore luck with this?
Curious for this answer as well. I live in Mooresville and didn't realize BEVs got free use of the toll lanes until you posted this.
Thanks,
Andy

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
Yes I just called for clarification the HOV exemption for EV's only applies to HOV lanes which there none in NC that I am aware of. Toll lanes even marked with HOV signage do not have exemptions for EV's. Typical politicians not promoting EV's and their benefits to climate change.

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium Space White
Country flag
  • Banned
Yes I just called for clarification the HOV exemption for EV's only applies to HOV lanes which there none in NC that I am aware of. Toll lanes even marked with HOV signage do not have exemptions for EV's. Typical politicians not promoting EV's and their benefits to climate change.
Thanks for the update. Who did you call?

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
I77 Express. After reading the statute it says HOV lanes. The lanes on I77, the Monroe By-pass and around Raleigh are not HOV lanes although the I77 section used to be. They are Toll Lanes now and not HOV. If you are a HOV (defined by 3 or more) you can avoid paying a toll.

It seems shortsighted of the political group to not provide some incentive to adoption of EV's but I can only do so much.

FullyCharged

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 MME Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Country flag
I was searching for this exact answer, saw these threads; kept digging online for some confirmation and found it in the FAQ on the NC QuickPass website.

https://www.ncquickpass.com/nc-quickpass-help/Pages/i-77-express-lanes.aspx

“I drive an electric vehicle. Will I have to pay a toll to drive in the I-77 express lanes? Yes, unless there are three or more people in the vehicle and the driver has set HOV status either with the NC Quick Pass Flex transponder or with any NC Quick Pass transponder and the NC Quick Pass HOV App or website.”

Bummer.
Sponsored