generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Friend wanted to drive my Premium AWD Mach-E. Great guy, owns his own mechanic shop. I jumped in the back seat and my son sat in passenger front. He accelerated around a blind corner from 42 to 72 on an open road and underestimated the power and acceleration. (his first time driving an EV) As he corrected, he slammed into the back of a parked pick-up at 72 mph. Totally horrifying. Anyway, wanted to post to tell you this is one very safe vehicle. We all walked away with minor bruises and burns from the airbags. Amazing technology. I am in my 60s and never been in this serious of an accident before. Just waiting to hear if it is totaled or not. Either way, someday I'll be driving a Mach-E again. Be safe out there!
Sturtevant Mach E Front damage.jpg
It’s totaled. No question.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ya I don't think there is anyway this won't be totaled, which might be a good thing. That much damage trying to be repaired would take MONTHS to get completed with todays world. As others said, you should be able to get back all your money, then just go buy another brand new one and don't let your friend drive it :)

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
If the battery pack is damaged I would say it will definitely be a total. If not, Maybe still a total.
To get to a total, you will have to get to somewhere around $45K or more and that is hard to do these days unless there is frame and/or main high voltage battery damage.

Neilthepilot

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 MME Premium, Ram 1500, Wrangler, FR3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
As a rule, if the airbags deploy it's totaled. This has been the response from two insurance adjusters for two totaled cars (not me my daughter).

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
  1. Like everyone else, I'm so glad everyone is safe
  2. Amazing testimony to how well the car protects passengers
  3. Car is obviously totaled. Others on here have mentioned that there's a special type of expert that can (should) be engaged right away to ensure you get the right type of settlement from the insurance company? I've never heard of this type of an expert before and hope someone will chime in. I think that given the rareness of this car, and the weird auto market, you definitely want to get one of these people right away!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Sorry this happened. Glad everyone was able to walk away. ??

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
He wouldn't be my friend any longer. 72mph around a blind corner with your kid in the front seat?

Pretty irresponsible driving. Hope he got a nice big ticket and is insurance company pays out.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
OUCH! Glad you and your son (and friend) are ok. Given that you hit a car going that quickly, the lack of significant injury is a testament to how safe this car is.

Will you replace this with another EV? I hope you won't have to wait TOO long to get it replaced.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Suggest taking his car next time (sorry, couldn't resist.)

But, seriously, that really sucks, and I'm sure your friend or former friend feels absolutely horrible about it.
Sponsored