scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Good to know, though realistically I don't think I can find any long sustained high-speed hills without needing to DCFC to get there... While SF certainly has hills (I live on a 25% grade), you can't drive them at high speeds, nor for long distances.
I bet you can get a failure with some spirited driving on 580, no DCFC probably required. It's not Tejon Pass, but it has some hills.

Just play some Blippi.

And be sure to eat a Bacon Gouda at the same time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Wow, I just can't get over how you guys both SVSed in the same spot less than one mile apart. Scoopman had also just passed a car. Maybe we should call that area "El fracaso"? Ford should drive Mach-E's from Bakersfield to LA all day long for accelerated HVBJB durability testing.
Also, close... my failure was right above the Jet World Powersports text. It was basically at the bottom of the grade before the left right jag in the road. Either way, it's about the same distance, if Scoops is correct.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Roadside Assistance with Ford Norway dismissed me completely (including rental) since I managed to get to a dealership. Doesn't matter that it was a 12 hour drive from home.

I've since learned that most mobility warranties work this way.

Make sure to create your Ford case before you roll into a dealership.

They actually arranged for rental and everything until they realized I was at a dealership. Then they called me back and canceled everything and told me good luck.
Dealership was out of loaners.
Well, at least the Ford experience is consistent.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Wow, I just can't get over how you guys both SVSed in the same spot less than one mile apart. Scoopman had also just passed a car. Maybe we should call that area "El fracaso"? Ford should drive Mach-E's from Bakersfield to LA all day long for accelerated HVBJB durability testing.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 1.48.32 AM.png

Those pack voltage readings and isolation fault triggering SSN are also interesting. Wonder if your BECM is toast too or those readings were some kind of software glitch? Obviously there's no way those readings could be real. Did you end up with a stuck contactor code or just the isolation fault?
Maybe we can get Google Maps to name it the "HVBJB Pass"?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
This was at least an entertaining read from the "ignore the truck full of goats in this video".
In the video from the cabin I actually made a "baa aa aa" noise when I passed the goats. I don't have the cajones to post that publicly so I'll text you a copy.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I bet you can get a failure with some spirited driving on 580, no DCFC probably required. It's not Tejon Pass, but it has some hills.

Just play some Blippi.

And be sure to eat a Bacon Gouda at the same time.
Hmm, good idea. I wonder if towing some Mach n Cheese might help?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The voltages only occurred like that after SSN. All the SVS data for voltages was within tolerance. So something was toasted. It wasn't just once and it happened over sustained periods of time. Why that happened I don't know. That's above my pay grade.
Yeah that was definitely odd, something got extra toasty as you continued even with the power limit, so that was a damage control fail. Did you end up with a stuck contactor code at the end or just the isolation fault and contactor performance?

The markers are right after where you guys passed cars in your video footage (based on signs and landmarks).

Maybe we can get Google Maps to name it the "HVBJB Pass"?
Or Blippi pass? 😄

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Did you end up with a stuck contactor code at the end or just the isolation fault and contactor performance?
I edited my original reply to include that. Go back and take a look. You probably saw my response before the edit.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I‘ve heard that if a Bacon Gouda isn’t available, a Twinkie can be used in a pinch.
Just because one carries a box of Twinkies doesn’t mean you can substitute one for a savory breakfast. The two aren’t even in the same food group. Now, if you were to smash one in between a Bacon Gouda, that would be a whole different story.

EDIT: I just realized that we are talking survival here. So yes, you are correct.

Last edited:

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Devsecops thanks for sharing the details so others can know what to expect.
I wonder if anyone in Colorado has experienced failures. I used to drive I-70 all the time and the elevation changes could easily trigger this failure.
Also good to know the DCFC wasn’t directly involved.
🐐

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
It only took a couple of weeks post recall release to make it clear that GTs (at the very least) should be receiving the new hardware. Now we’re back to the wait and see phase if Ford is going to do anything about it.

I wish I had a mountain pass near me so I could force the error and get it over with lol.

Last edited:

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
With 23k on the car and numerous mountain trips to Tahoe and from Sacramento to the bay I figured I had a robust variant. I guess I was wrong. I honestly think that, in time, all GTs will have failure.

In my case, and in most that I've seen, DCFC had nothing to do with SVS. I hadn't been to a DCFC in days.
I was thinking the same about mine being a robust variant ... clearly I need to find some bigger hills.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
How are those with the new HVBJB holding up? I had mine fail and replaced recently and I can’t say I’m fully faithful/trusting that it’s not gonna fail again
Mine has held up great over 1700mi since being replaced, and I'm not driving any differently. I've heard of just one person (didn't post here) who had a new design box and had a failure as a completely new car right after pickup, but it's a machine and bad parts happen....

I don't give this any thought anymore and I just enjoy the car. I do now carry my hidden hitch receiver with me on road trips, such as the one we're doing to Sonoma for a safari (!) this weekend, but that's just in general to have a rear tow point if I ever needed it.

I prefer Philz Coffee over Starbucks, so there is that added protection of no bacon Gouda sandwiches being consumed as well.
Sponsored