manicsubmersion

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 hybrid Lariat, 2022 MachE AWD EX Premium
Country flag
Just picked up my MachE in Granger , Iowa. I live in New Mexico. We (Dana my wife/partner) Left Albuquerque on Tuesday morning December 13th. We flew to Des Moines, IA via Denver. Denver Airport was very snowy and our flight to Des Moines was delayed an hour or so. Granger Motors arranged for their driver to pick us up in Des Moines and that went well.

Just a few words about Granger Motors. This is the second vehicle I have purchased from Granger during this year. The entire ordering/purchasing process was extremely transparent from start to finish. I ordered the MachE AWD ER Premium IBSM in February 2022. The initial price was 3 percent under invoice with invoice on the MachE being almost the same as MSRP. I signed a purchase agreement and gave them a $1000 non refundable deposit last February. Ten months later, that is exactly what I paid, the original agreed upon price minus the $1000 deposit. I did add a Ford extended warranty plan to the vehicle at a heavily discounted price (very similar to the other online discount dealers for Ford extended warrant plans).

This is my first EV although I am well read on the topic and have been a member of this forum for 9 or 10 months. When we picked up the car, Granger Motors had charged it to 100% at my request. I had previously downloaded all of the required apps for route planning and EV charging and set up several accounts including EA, Francis Energy, Chargepoint etc. I also added Plugshare and ABRP (upgraded to the paid version) to my apps arsenal.

DC fast charging between Granger, IA and Kansas City, KS (out first overnight stop) is fairly sparse. ABRP showed a Chargepoint DC fast charger in Bethany, MO. The Plugshare reports were mixed but it was our only option. Only one unit was working but we successfully completed our first DC fast charging session (maybe not so fast!).

In Kansas City, we charged overnight while visiting friends. They own a Tesla and we used our Mini Teslatap (purchased through a forum group buy) to charge the vehicle. Our next overnight destination was Oklahoma City. We charged in Topeka at an EA station at Walmart's, probably not necessary but it was cold and I am paranoid! This was a "by the book" EA charge session using the EA app to tap and pay. That was almost the last time that worked. Nearly every EA charging session after that I had to pay with a credit card and could not use the touch to pay or slide to initiate the charging session feature.

We stopped and charged two more times on the way to Oklahoma City, including Wichita and some other EA station on the road. Although I was sucessful at charging, nearly every EA station had some issues. I checked Plugshare each time and noted which chargers were working and plugged into those first, not always successfully. It was very cold, windy and sometimes rainy during this portion of the trip, definately impacting range.

After spending the night in Oklahoma City (no level 2 charger at the hotel), we charged at a Walmart EA station in Moore, OK which was an 18 mile round trip from I40. At Moore, I could not get any of the available stations to connect to the vehicle. There happened to be an EA technician (driving a KIA EV6) working on the stations and he finally did something to the station and it worked.

We were headed to Tucumcari, NM for our next overnight, deciding to add one more day to the trip so we did not have to do too much night driving in well below freezing weather. Our next scheduled charging stop was at a Francis Energy station in Elk, OK. I had not heard too many positives about Francis Energy DC stations so I included the out of the way charge at Moore, OK in case we had to limp into Erick, OK for an EA charge at a truck stop. The Francis Energy session was fine, no issues other than extremely expensive, our most expensive session on the trip.

We charged again at the EA station in Erick, OK just before the border with Texas. Finally we hit an EA station at Walmart in Amarillo, TX. This was the only location where we had to wait. Two stations were out of service and there was an iD4 charging to 100% and an EV6 doing an 80% charge. I called EA to try and reboot the non working stations but after 30 minutes of trying I gave up and just waited until one of the working stations was free.

We reached Tucumcari, NM after dark. The EA station is at a Loves truck stop and conveniently located across from a Fairfield Inn, our home for the night. We charged that evening but when we woke up it was 19 degrees (morning of Dec 16th). We had driven a few miles around town in the evening and due to the cold trip ahead, we decided to top up to 85% at Tucumcari. Again this was probably not necessary but it was friggin cold and I expeced some additional range impact.

Our final charging stop was at Santa Rosa, NM, again at an EA station at a Loves Truck Stop. Other that still not being able to use touch to pay or slide to activate, this session went smoothly. We arrived home in Albuquerque about 10:30 AM with 26% SoC. I had previously purchased a home EVSE (Autel) and had a dedicated 50 amp circuit installed. The new MachE is currently being refilled to 80%.

So, the MachE is my first EV. My first trip in the MachE was 1265 miles through some cold, windy, wet and freezing weather! Glad to be back home in sunny but cold New Mexico.

I would like to thank all of the members of this forum who have provided me with the knowledge and confidence to undertake this trip. I would also like to thank Liv and Patrick of the MachE VLOG for sharing their MachE tripping experiences. Also the other Youtubers who produce and share road tripping in EV videos. Without of this collective knowledge and experience, this trip could hav been very unpleasant!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Flint302

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD, 2016 Audi A3
Occupation
Retired government
Country flag
Great write-up and sounds like a great job on the drive. You obviously did your homework on EVs and it shows. It was really a good idea to join this forum well before you took possession of your Mach E. There really is a wealth of knowledge here and a lot of good advice. Thank you for taking the time on this write-up, and welcome to the club.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Just picked up my MachE in Granger , Iowa. I live in New Mexico. We (Dana my wife/partner) Left Albuquerque on Tuesday morning December 13th. We flew to Des Moines, IA via Denver. Denver Airport was very snowy and our flight to Des Moines was delayed an hour or so. Granger Motors arranged for their driver to pick us up in Des Moines and that went well.

Just a few words about Granger Motors. This is the second vehicle I have purchased from Granger during this year. The entire ordering/purchasing process was extremely transparent from start to finish. I ordered the MachE AWD ER Premium IBSM in February 2022. The initial price was 3 percent under invoice with invoice on the MachE being almost the same as MSRP. I signed a purchase agreement and gave them a $1000 non refundable deposit last February. Ten months later, that is exactly what I paid, the original agreed upon price minus the $1000 deposit. I did add a Ford extended warranty plan to the vehicle at a heavily discounted price (very similar to the other online discount dealers for Ford extended warrant plans).

This is my first EV although I am well read on the topic and have been a member of this forum for 9 or 10 months. When we picked up the car, Granger Motors had charged it to 100% at my request. I had previously downloaded all of the required apps for route planning and EV charging and set up several accounts including EA, Francis Energy, Chargepoint etc. I also added Plugshare and ABRP (upgraded to the paid version) to my apps arsenal.

DC fast charging between Granger, IA and Kansas City, KS (out first overnight stop) is fairly sparse. ABRP showed a Chargepoint DC fast charger in Bethany, MO. The Plugshare reports were mixed but it was our only option. Only one unit was working but we successfully completed our first DC fast charging session (maybe not so fast!).

In Kansas City, we charged overnight while visiting friends. They own a Tesla and we used our Mini Teslatap (purchased through a forum group buy) to charge the vehicle. Our next overnight destination was Oklahoma City. We charged in Topeka at an EA station at Walmart's, probably not necessary but it was cold and I am paranoid! This was a "by the book" EA charge session using the EA app to tap and pay. That was almost the last time that worked. Nearly every EA charging session after that I had to pay with a credit card and could not use the touch to pay or slide to initiate the charging session feature.

We stopped and charged two more times on the way to Oklahoma City, including Wichita and some other EA station on the road. Although I was sucessful at charging, nearly every EA station had some issues. I checked Plugshare each time and noted which chargers were working and plugged into those first, not always successfully. It was very cold, windy and sometimes rainy during this portion of the trip, definately impacting range.

After spending the night in Oklahoma City (no level 2 charger at the hotel), we charged at a Walmart EA station in Moore, OK which was an 18 mile round trip from I40. At Moore, I could not get any of the available stations to connect to the vehicle. There happened to be an EA technician (driving a KIA EV6) working on the stations and he finally did something to the station and it worked.

We were headed to Tucumcari, NM for our next overnight, deciding to add one more day to the trip so we did not have to do too much night driving in well below freezing weather. Our next scheduled charging stop was at a Francis Energy station in Elk, OK. I had not heard too many positives about Francis Energy DC stations so I included the out of the way charge at Moore, OK in case we had to limp into Erick, OK for an EA charge at a truck stop. The Francis Energy session was fine, no issues other than extremely expensive, our most expensive session on the trip.

We charged again at the EA station in Erick, OK just before the border with Texas. Finally we hit an EA station at Walmart in Amarillo, TX. This was the only location where we had to wait. Two stations were out of service and there was an iD4 charging to 100% and an EV6 doing an 80% charge. I called EA to try and reboot the non working stations but after 30 minutes of trying I gave up and just waited until one of the working stations was free.

We reached Tucumcari, NM after dark. The EA station is at a Loves truck stop and conveniently located across from a Fairfield Inn, our home for the night. We charged that evening but when we woke up it was 19 degrees (morning of Dec 16th). We had driven a few miles around town in the evening and due to the cold trip ahead, we decided to top up to 85% at Tucumcari. Again this was probably not necessary but it was friggin cold and I expeced some additional rage impact.

Our final charging stop was at Santa Rosa, NM, again at an EA station at a Loves Truck Stop. Other that still not being able to use touch to pay or slide to activate, this session went smoothly. We arrived home in Albuquerque about 10:30 AM with 26% SoC. I had previously purchased a home EVSE (Autel) and had a dedicated 50 amp circuit installed. The new MachE is currently being refilled to 80%.

So, the MachE is my first EV. My first trip in the MachE was 1265 miles through some cold, windy, wet and freezing weather! Glad to be back home in sunny but cold New Mexico.

I would like to thank all of the members of this forum who have provided me with the knowledge and confidence to undertake this trip. I would also like to thank Liv and Patrick of the MachE VLOG for sharing their MachE tripping experiences. Also the other Youtubers who produce and share road tripping in EV videos. Without of this collective knowledge and experience, this trip could hav been very unpleasant!

wow.... that was a daring move... road trip for a first drive!

I'm wondering why you didn't just come up to Santa fe and buy at Capitol Ford? They sell at MSRP with no markup.

OP
OP

manicsubmersion

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
wow.... that was a daring move... road trip for a first drive!

I'm wondering why you didn't just come up to Santa fe and buy at Capitol Ford? They sell at MSRP with no markup.
I emailed every dealer in New Mexico. The only dealers that responded were not clear on the issue of an additional dealer markup at time of delivery. I do not think Capital Ford responded. Additionally, earlier in the year I took delivery of my previously ordered F150 hybrid Lariat from Granger. Same deal, 3% under invoice with no monkey business at time of delivery. Granger actually found an additional $2500 in rebates at the time of delivery.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I emailed every dealer in New Mexico. The only dealers that responded were not clear on the issue of an additional dealer markup at time of delivery. I do not think Capital Ford responded. Additionally, earlier in the year I took delivery of my previously ordered F150 hybrid Lariat from Granger. Same deal, 3% under invoice with no monkey business at time of delivery. Granger actually found an additional $2500 in rebates at the time of delivery.

yeah, I dunno about responding by email... They probably would have done way better with a phone call. The GM is a young guy and computer savvy, but the sales dept is still old school. I will say that they sold around 25 MME last year, and have done right be me for Warranty/Recall service so far.

I was their first MME delivered (feb '21) and first to eventually get HVBJB remove/replace done locally. You won't need that, but I was a Job 1 delivery and went thru a number of the early 'issues'.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Congrats on the new MME! Glad your trip went well (although cold). 😊🐩

RodMachE

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prem22 - ER
Country flag

We reached Tucumcari, NM after dark. The EA station is at a Loves truck stop and conveniently located across from a Fairfield Inn, our home for the night. We charged that evening but when we woke up it was 19 degrees (morning of Dec 16th). We had driven a few miles around town in the evening and due to the cold trip ahead, we decided to top up to 85% at Tucumcari. Again this was probably not necessary but it was friggin cold and I expeced some additional range impact.

Congratulations & thanks for sharing your experience!

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Grangers really got on the map with upfront pricing and no BS with their Bronco Res and Ordering honesty. A gentleman, who unexpectedly passed away since, took care of Bronco reservation holders, Zero surprises and their execution has been spot on with MachE, Maverick, and Lightning Res holders. Albert and the entire team that backed this business model up, have customers flying and driving home thousands of miles. Congratulations!

dje4msu

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks Manic. Your account was informative. I may be stopping at some of those charging locations between Michigan and Tucson. Santa Rosa to Las Cruces looks like my risky stretch. It is not good to hear about the EA chargers being "fussy". Do you think it might be due to the fact that you had just taken delivery and opened the EA account?

OP
OP

manicsubmersion

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks Manic. Your account was informative. I may be stopping at some of those charging locations between Michigan and Tucson. Santa Rosa to Las Cruces looks like my risky stretch. It is not good to hear about the EA chargers being "fussy". Do you think it might be due to the fact that you had just taken delivery and opened the EA account?
Good Morning,
I think EA has some serious issues that they are addressing. I opened my account a couple of weeks before taking delivery of my MachE. I do not think any of my issues were related to the newness of my account. The fact that it worked correctly a few times indicated to me that the problems are not with the a new account.

It is my understanding that EA currently has an on going upgrade program, replacing much of the older equipment with new stations, adding solar shade structures to some of the locations etc. I would guess EA also needs to address their software.

You are correct that getting from Santa Rosa to Las Cruces will be an issue. Even for me to get to Las Cruses from Albuquerque could be an issue. I am not sure of your routing but if you head to Albuquerque and then go south on I25, there is an EA station in Albuquerque but no DC fast chargers on I25, south, including Las Cruses. The city of Socorro, NM is installing a DC fast charger around the city plaza but I checked a couple of weeks ago (in person) to see if it was active yet and was unable to locate it. There is a level 2 charger at a motel in Socorro that is open to the public but not free. There is also a DC fast charger planned for Elephant Butte but again I am not able to determine if there is progress. South of Truth or Consequences, NM there is a level 2 charger at Caballo State Park. Charging is free but you need to pay the $5.00 park entrance fee. The City of Las Cruces currently has no DC fast chargers. There are publicly available level 2 chargers around the downtown area. I know there is an EA station at a Walmart in El Paso along I10.

I have participated, through comments, in the development of the New Mexico's submitted and approved NEVI plan. Most of the Interstate charging needs are addressed in the plan. In New Mexico, our biggest issues are with the secondary routes, north of Santa Fe on state highways, including up to Chama through Española, or north west through Cuba to Farmington. Also, even in Taos, there are no level 3 chargers. All of this is addressed in the NEVI plan but it will take a few years to become a reality. I skipped some of the other routes through New Mexico including the Eastern side of the state, cities like Carlsbad, Alamogordo, etc. These areas are also addressed and Allsup's, a regional chain of gas stations/convenience stores, is planning to add DC fast chargers to several of its locations in these areas. Once again I am not sure when these will be active. These stations have been planned for sometime but I have no updates on progress. I hope this information helps.

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Good Morning,
I think EA has some serious issues that they are addressing. I opened my account a couple of weeks before taking delivery of my MachE. I do not think any of my issues were related to the newness of my account. The fact that it worked correctly a few times indicated to me that the problems are not with the a new account.

It is my understanding that EA currently has an on going upgrade program, replacing much of the older equipment with new stations, adding solar shade structures to some of the locations etc. I would guess EA also needs to address their software.

You are correct that getting from Santa Rosa to Las Cruces will be an issue. Even for me to get to Las Cruses from Albuquerque could be an issue. I am not sure of your routing but if you head to Albuquerque and then go south on I25, there is an EA station in Albuquerque but no DC fast chargers on I25, including Las Cruses. The city of Socorro, NM is installing a DC fast charger around the city plaza but I checked a couple of weeks ago (in person) to see if it was active yet and was unable to locate it. There is a level 2 charger at a motel in Socorro that is open to the public but not free. There is also a DC fast charger planned for Elephant Butte but again I am not able to determine if there is progress. South of Truth or Consequences, NM there is a level 2 charger at Caballo State Park. Charging is free but you need to pay the $5.00 park entrance fee. The City of Las Cruces currently has no DC fast chargers. There are publicly available level 2 chargers around the downtown area. I know there is an EA station at a Walmart in El Paso along I10.

I have participated, through comments, in the development of the New Mexico's submitted and approved NEVI plan. Most of the Interstate charging needs are addressed in the plan. In New Mexico, our biggest issues are with the secondary routes, north of Santa Fe on state highways, including up to Chama through Española, or north west through Cuba to Farmington. Also, even in Taos, there are no level 3 chargers. All of the is addressed in the NEVI plan but it will take a few years to become a reality. I skipped some of the other routes through New Mexico including the Eastern side of the state, cities like Carlsbad, Alamogordo, etc. These areas are also addressed and Allsup's, a regional chain of gas stations/convenience stores is planning to add DC fast chargers to several of its locations in these areas. Once again I am not sure when these will be active. These stations have been planned for sometime but I have no updates on progress. I hope this information helps.

there are NO L3 charge stations north of Santa Fe..... it takes careful planning and 'slow travel' to hit the L2 and 240v outlets at Campgrounds.

Part of the problem is the availability of 3-phase power near rural highways, part is that the minimum requirements for a NEVI subsidy (4x 150kw handles) are too much to make sense, and part is that many of the L3 charge stations are not warrantied for operation above 2000m.

It may take another year, but a few L3 stations should start popping up along rural routes that have enough traffic to justify investment.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I was confused about your EA comments so I just checked - I have never set up an EA account. I just let fordpass handle the transaction. Is that not the best option?

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I was confused about your EA comments so I just checked - I have never set up an EA account. I just let fordpass handle the transaction. Is that not the best option?
You can pay lower charge rates with an account once you use up your free hours with Ford. If you have to use L3 a lot it can make a big difference to your wallet.

I can’t wait until we have more charging options across a bigger portion of the US for L3 charging as of right now it just takes too much planning and can be a risk in some areas to come on to broken equipment.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ah so I'm paying a convenience fee. Good to know. I don't need L3 very often so I haven't really explored all the options there.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ah so I'm paying a convenience fee. Good to know. I don't need L3 very often so I haven't really explored all the options there.
Not exactly. You can "upgrade" your free EA account and pay a monthly fee ($4) which gives you a lower rate (about 25% less) when charging. You can now also pay an annual fee ($50) with your ford account and get the same discount rate. As of now EA lets people change their accounts between the two levels so if you plan to road trip you can pay the $4 fee and then downgrade the next month. I suspect that loophole is going to be closed by EA very soon so that once you upgrade you'll have to stay on the $4/month plan for at least a year.

* EDIT *
The benefit of Ford's account is that you can use "plug-n-charge" so that you don't need to swipe the app or use a credit card. In the OP's case had he been able to set up the PnC ahead of time he would not have needed a credit card to initiate the sessions. Also in the case of the OP, since the chargers didn't start from the phone app and he had to use a credit card he would have been charged the higher rate even if he had upgraded his EA account.
Sponsored

Last edited: