Front camera error Alert pops up and goes away - what's the fix ?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Over the last month or so, usually when I hit a bump like railroad tracks, or a bump while making a turn, I have noticed an Alert flash up on the display. It doesn't stay up long enough for me to get a picture, but is is something like "Front Camera error - Service suggested" and then a second on something about 'front camera assist unavailable'. The error alerts pop up, stay just for a few seconds, and then go away....

After searching around the Forum for a while, it looks like this is cropping up for more and more people... too many to be random.

I'm now wondering if the problem has been narrowed down to:
- bad coax cable harness?
- bad/loose connector?
- bad camera?
.... possibly as a result of Windsheild replacement ?

Any definitive fix?
===============
1/13/23 update - I messaged @Ford Motor Company and have been assigned a BEV contact, and set up an appointment with my Dealer, but it's not until 3/2/23, when I plan to have them look at this issue, my flaky center screen, and clicking front end.

...still looking for step by step instructions on how to remove the black cover above rear view mirror to check camera/cable connection without breaking off any clips.... does the cover pop off perpendicular to windshield, or slide parallel, off the 5 clips?
Sponsored

Last edited:

hbirring01

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes it's in the windshield on the top. Behind your rear view mirror. This usually means the coaxial cable for the camera is loose or stretched. Take it to the dealer to look into it while you have your warranty

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yes it's in the windshield on the top. Behind your rear view mirror. This usually means the coaxial cable for the camera is loose or stretched. Take it to the dealer to look into it while you have your warranty
I'll schedule Dealer to look at it.....

Unless there are decent instructions on how to remove that black cover over the camera so I can check the connection myself first... I don't want to break off any clips or things, and I can't find a Utube or step-by-step with pictures.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yes, 43 pages, but no details on how to remove black cover or headliner without breaking clips
Sponsored