Front License Plate Bracket sucks - how to repair holes?

Riotous

First Name
Riotous
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
So, I took the front license plate bracket off (that my dealer put on). The car looks SO MUCH better... But! There are three little drill holes in my front fascia. Shoot. I guess a little silicon and some matched paint? Maybe even just an orange sharpie? Can anyone suggest how to make these holes disappear (or be hard to notice?) Thanks for your help.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Front License Plate Bracket sucks - how to repair holes? PXL_20211112_221152971
Sponsored

TuxToaster

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue MME Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Are you planning on using an alternative mounting solution for your front plate? If I recall correctly Texas is one of the states that requires one.

For the holes, not sure how well silicon would hold up, but I believe some other threads here have explored plugs or other options to minimize them.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I did bumperplugs.com also and live in Texas. The holes were drilled much too large for the plugs to fit correctly but I used silicone and that keeps them from falling out. You can ask their support if they have larger ones. I would have did that but it was too late when I got them. Luckily they covered the whole hole, mostly.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Silicone (not the same thing as silicon) is a pretty temporary "fix." The bumper plugs protrude a little out of the bumper. You can't see them if you're 10 or so feet from the car, but you'll notice them if you're close to the car and know they're there. If you don't care about that, get the plugs. If the holes are too large for the plugs, I would suggest using a poluyurethane adhesive to retain the plugs in the bumper. Alternatively, you could use this same polyurethane adhesive to fill the holes. It will shrink on curing, so you will probably need to fill the holes several times and putty prior to repainting. The final alternative is to perform urethane welding on the holes to fill. This is probably the most permanent solution, but also the most involved. Once the holes are welded up, you'll need to perform final puttying prior to repainting the bumper.

Mcarter

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME premium AWD standard
Country flag
I Agree that the Mach E's look so much better without the front License plate bracket on there. I recall test driving the demo that my local dealership had before ordering mine back in July and it did not have one on there. I've seen pictures of ones with the front bracket/plate on them and I do not care for it all. So, after i ordered mine, i did get the free bracket because Missouri does require one as well but I told my dealer before mine went into production that I did not want the front bracket installed on mine and he tried to tell me that they come from the factory installed already and i was adamant that I did not want it on there and I would take my chances if/when i get stopped. The car came in and the salesman called and tried to tell me that he had some bad new and that the factory installed the bracket after all and there was nothing they could do now. needless to say he was joking because I had been there several times stating that I did not want it on there. I go to pick it up and they had put one of their dealer stickers on the back so I didn't want it on there so I took a hair dryer and some dental floss and removed it with no damage to the vehicle. Ive got the bracket lying in the floor board for now.

OP
OP
Riotous

Riotous

First Name
Riotous
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Thanks for the great responses. I do live in Texas which does require the front plate, but I started looking and 85% or more of Teslas aren't sporting them, and now that I'm paying attention, plenty of cars, esp fancy ones, go without, at least here around Houston. So, I plan to live on the edge, take my chances, and lose the front tag... ;) Seriously, it looks so much better without.

So, plugs. I have the Cyber Orange - lot a choice on bumberplugs.com, but no Cyber Orange (SB) - waiting to hear back on email. Maybe Orange Fury?

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
Thanks for the great responses. I do live in Texas which does require the front plate, but I started looking and 85% or more of Teslas aren't sporting them, and now that I'm paying attention, plenty of cars, esp fancy ones, go without, at least here around Houston. So, I plan to live on the edge, take my chances, and lose the front tag... ;) Seriously, it looks so much better without.

So, plugs. I have the Cyber Orange - lot a choice on bumberplugs.com, but no Cyber Orange (SB) - waiting to hear back on email. Maybe Orange Fury?
They should be able to get you the exact color. I'd be surprised if it isn't available soon.

OP
OP
Riotous

Riotous

First Name
Riotous
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
They should be able to get you the exact color. I'd be surprised if it isn't available soon.
Interesting, they wrote back and said several people have asked for this color, and they're putting together a little cartel for a custom job. Wonder if it's Mach-e owners or Bronco drivers? Maybe a combination. Pricey but easy I reckon.

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
Interesting, they wrote back and said several people have asked for this color, and they're putting together a little cartel for a custom job. Wonder if it's Mach-e owners or Bronco drivers? Maybe a combination. Pricey but easy I reckon.
I feel your pain on the cost, but the color match is spot on for Star White Metallic, which is a tri coat with sparkles. And they have held up well with no chipping or flaking. You could get the stock black ones from a hardware/auto shop for a couple of bucks and use Ford's $20 touchup paint....but I think you'll be happier with the bumperplug product. I was.

OP
OP
Riotous

Riotous

First Name
Riotous
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
All right then, I went with the bumper plugs, from bumperplugs.com. The fit great, and match close enough, if you look for them, of course you can find them, but they do a pretty good job of blending in/disappearing. Problem solved. Thanks everyone for your help.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Front License Plate Bracket sucks - how to repair holes? PXL_20211122_223559071

Ford Mustang Mach-E Front License Plate Bracket sucks - how to repair holes? PXL_20211122_222948420

Dzrhino

First Name
Reno
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Occupation
Wildlife and Cultural Photographer
Country flag
I'm in California and haven't had a front plate on my car in over 30 years. Never got a ticket, never stopped for no front plate. However, I may order one of the https://licenseplatewrap.com/ and then keep it in my glove box or trunk bay. If stopped and they say something, I'll just pop it out and say I was just putting it on ;-D.

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
I'm in California and haven't had a front plate on my car in over 30 years. Never got a ticket, never stopped for no front plate. However, I may order one of the https://licenseplatewrap.com/ and then keep it in my glove box or trunk bay. If stopped and they say something, I'll just pop it out and say I was just putting it on ;-D.
:cool: ;) :D o_O
I am a retired LEO and from California.......I totally agree with everyone for not mounting the front license plate/frame.......It takes away the character of the Car and some car models want to show off that part of the bumper!

I have NEVER stopped anyone for not having front plates but have asked about them if the attitude test didn't go right.......

IMO-----If you don't like the look of the front plate, live on the dangerous side, and pay the fine if you were ever given a ticket. Better yet, befriend a Cop so you could get the fixing ticket signed off.

The vinyl wrap license plate is a good alternative & very unobtrusive to have if I was ever to put one on my MME......I like the clean lines of the front bumper and faux grill on my MachE not to ever put front plates on.....

Last edited:

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thank you for not stopping me while you were a LEO ;), but if you look around (in CA) and I assume other states, a lot of folks don't put them on (Tesla, MB, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Corvettes, etc....) since they do make the car look worst.

I think they need them for toll roads/bridges, but I never drive on those. They should repeal that law and I'd vote for it if it ever came up.

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
Thank you for not stopping me while you were a LEO ;), but if you look around (in CA) and I assume other states, a lot of folks don't put them on (Tesla, MB, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Corvettes, etc....) since they do make the car look worst.

I think they need them for toll roads/bridges, but I never drive on those. They should repeal that law and I'd vote for it if it ever came up.
Yea but if people are using the front plate temporary for Toll crossing with cameras above like the Bay Bridge in San Francisco, they can always put it in the dash inside the car so the camera can capture it.....Remove & stow it when not in use.....

Just my cents
Sponsored