Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Or possibly to keep your untethered bowling ball from crashing around, destroying things.
we've been through this before - it's to keep your hot wings hot and your cold shrimp cold - the MachE-DLT.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I didn’t notice this until now, but why are there two indentations that look suspiciously like cup holders in the front Trunk (or, as I’m told it’s called in the UK, the “froot”)? Has Homer Simpson been consulting on aspects of the design?

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I didn’t notice this until now, but why are there two indentations that look suspiciously like cup holders in the front Trunk (or, as I’m told it’s called in the UK, the “froot”)? Has Homer Simpson been consulting on aspects of the design?
I asked this question during the Interior Design webinar. The moderator combined it with other frunk questions so it didn't get asked as specifically as I'd hoped.

Anyway, my take away from the designers was that the whole frunk setup was the engineers' idea. haha

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
My interpretation given the information provided... dividers are there from a legal /liability perspective. If you remove it which it appears to be able to do given it’s a last minute add and only secured with a few bolts), you are liable for anything that happens. Seems like a good option to have to add/remove based on need, which could be a nice bonus.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Well it has been confirmed two screws hold the divider on, so I assume it is easily removable.

Az MachE

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Saw the Star White MME here in Phoenix today. The frunk only has 2 screws that will allow the divider to be removed. There are 2 cup holders in the from, which the sales people did use to set their cans into and it fits perfectly. I will say the frunk is smaller than I expected, especially since there is a ledge in the front that is lower than where the can holders are. The ledge really cuts down on the total size, as well as I cannot see a small cooler fitting in there. Maybe Ford will come out with a cooler especially made for that space. I was impressed that there is a light in the frunk. It is an awesome EV!

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Saw the Star White MME here in Phoenix today. The frunk only has 2 screws that will allow the divider to be removed. There are 2 cup holders in the from, which the sales people did use to set their cans into and it fits perfectly. I will say the frunk is smaller than I expected, especially since there is a ledge in the front that is lower than where the can holders are. The ledge really cuts down on the total size, as well as I cannot see a small cooler fitting in there. Maybe Ford will come out with a cooler especially made for that space. I was impressed that there is a light in the frunk. It is an awesome EV!
Yes, lots of well placed lights in and around this car. Seems thoughtful and not penny pinched.

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
She followed up to indicate the dividers were added to the design to resolve a safety concern.

Perhaps the frunk is too air tight when closed?
Perhaps the frunk is not an electronic latch?

In which case they need to install this (IMO ugly) divider at the plant to eliminate the need for a "trapped child" release handle?

If they can say the frunk is not a size that a human could occupy, maybe they can use a cheaper traditional mechanical hood latch.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Perhaps the frunk is not an electronic latch?

In which case they need to install this (IMO ugly) divider at the plant to eliminate the need for a "trapped child" release handle?

If they can say the frunk is not a size that a human could occupy, maybe they can use a cheaper traditional mechanical hood latch.
A small human can fit in there. There is a push button release inside, with an enormous glow in the dark rectangle around it.

I like the divider and will probably leave it in.

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
A small human can fit in there. There is a push button release inside, with an enormous glow in the dark rectangle around it.

I like the divider and will probably leave it in.
Are we sure there's still that push button now that the divider is *screwed* in and say that it isn't supposed to be removed?

There's no other reason I could think of to screw a divider like that in other than to make a "you modified your car, we're not liable for what happens next" distinction.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Are we sure there's still that push button now that the divider is *screwed* in and say that it isn't supposed to be removed?

There's no other reason I could think of to screw a divider like that in other than to make a "you modified your car, we're not liable for what happens next" distinction.
I saw it today and was surprised that the ring around the button is what glows. Previously I thought the button itself glowed but this one was black plastic or rubber.

I did not take a picture of it though. (Sorry, I meant to but forgot.)

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I saw it today and was surprised that the ring around the button is what glows. Previously I thought the button itself glowed but this one was black plastic or rubber.

I did not take a picture of it though. (Sorry, I meant to but forgot.)
Gotcha. I just wasn't sure if you meant the button had come from other sources, but yeah now I'm even more concerned why they needed to add this "permanent" divider when the only thing I'm ever going to use the frunk for is luggage or larger items anyway. This is anti-useful to me, and costs them money, so I'm now hugely suspicious of why it's there so permanently.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Gotcha. I just wasn't sure if you meant the button had come from other sources, but yeah now I'm even more concerned why they needed to add this "permanent" divider when the only thing I'm ever going to use the frunk for is luggage or larger items anyway. This is anti-useful to me, and costs them money, so I'm now hugely suspicious of why it's there so permanently.
We've been through lots of speculative rounds on why the divider was added. But none of us know the reason yet.

It adds less cost than other features that many customers also won't use, such as dash cam or YouTube.
Sponsored