Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It was a great experience, wish all of you could have been there. Back to the frunk, I can see putting a short grocery run in there, or a small carry-on item, but a cooler would have to be narrow to fit.
Right, but if you're going to frunkgate anyway just throw the ice in there and put your beverages on top of/in with the ice. The dividers will keep bottles from clanking too hard on the drive, and even separate the types of beverage. If you're not frunkgating, carry the cooler in the back.
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I just see this hard plastic on every surface frunk being a source of rattles. Will have to felt it up somehow.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I just see this hard plastic on every surface frunk being a source of rattles. Will have to felt it up somehow.
Especially with the 10" sub in the back =)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes, lots of well placed lights in and around this car. Seems thoughtful and not penny pinched.
The reading lights for the rear passengers are clever and functional. At night they are positioned in such a way as not to cause any glare for the driver. Very nice.

To answer your other question about the divider....it was added to address NVH concerns. (Noise, Vibration & Harshness). Stuff moving around in that compartment can be heard while driving so the dividers help minimize the complaint.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Remember the good old days? The days where we wondered if we would get that neat frunk organizer or have to pay for it as an aftermarket from the dealer? My how times change.
I know, right! The desire for an option becomes the righteous indignation of freedom removed.

I look forward to frunk divider conversion to removable as my first mod.

Please: Someone going to these shows measure the Frunk space.

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The reading lights for the rear passengers are clever and functional. At night they are positioned in such a way as not to cause any glare for the driver. Very nice.

To answer your other question about the divider....it was added to address NVH concerns. (Noise, Vibration & Harshness). Stuff moving around in that compartment can be heard while driving so the dividers help minimize the complaint.
I think it's really unfortunate that they designed this in such a "non removable" way and just assumed we'd want it. I don't want this in my car, and I don't want exposed screw holes where it was supposed to be. This is a big disappointment.

All I was going to use the frunk for was soft-sided duffle bags. If they really wanted to expand usefulness, put some foldaway grocery hooks in there like the Model 3 has, not this ugly thing.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think it's really unfortunate that they designed this in such a "non removable" way and just assumed we'd want it. I don't want this in my car, and I don't want exposed screw holes where it was supposed to be. This is a big disappointment.

All I was going to use the frunk for was soft-sided duffle bags. If they really wanted to expand usefulness, put some foldaway grocery hooks in there like the Model 3 has, not this ugly thing.
I think I agree. Would have preferred a rubber mat for the bottom that is removable instead.

Will be easy to put rubber plugs in those holes though.....

In the whole scope of things, if this ends up being our biggest beef then I would call it a success. :)

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think I agree. Would have preferred a rubber mat for the bottom that is removable instead.

Will be easy to put rubber plugs in those holes though.....

In the whole scope of things, if this ends up being our biggest beef then I would call it a success. :)
Oh for sure, it's minor in the scheme of things. Just feels like something done in a vacuum without actually asking customers if they wanted holes left in their "drainable" frunk if they remove this.

I mean... now it's always "drainable" regardless of that plug at the bottom since it's got holes in the side.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Right, but if you're going to frunkgate anyway just throw the ice in there and put your beverages on top of/in with the ice. The dividers will keep bottles from clanking too hard on the drive, and even separate the types of beverage. If you're not frunkgating, carry the cooler in the back.
About as serious of an answer as I'm capable of giving on this. Out here, you often find yourself needing to drive an hour (or more for some) into Kona for Costco or either Kona or Hilo for the larger grocery stores. That means an hour back with refrigerated or frozen goods. I usually haul a cooler for that. I can see a bag of ice or two and a reusable insulated shopping bag in the Frunk instead.

I shall now return to my regular Sunday morning coffee and sarcasm.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Hmm... that VIN is very very early, which I guess makes sense that this is likely a prototype that's been massaged to look perfect for shows, just like an auto show car.

Makes me skeptical that that frunk divider story is over though. Something's up.
I could have sworn there was only 250 miles on it though? Seems like a recent build to me.....but then again I might have been looking at the trip odometer and not realizing it?

The key fob was from the parts bin.....it even had a removable key like the fobs for my current Ford vehicles. As far as I could tell.....there was no place on the vehicle to insert a tumbler bypass device....
Hmm??

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I know, right! The desire for an option becomes the righteous indignation of freedom removed.

I look forward to frunk divider conversion to removable as my first mod.

Please: Someone going to these shows measure the Frunk space.
Looks like that should be easy enough. Push pin pliers or torx/Allen wrench/Phillips/whatever, depending upon the final installation Ford uses.

I hereby nominate you for a detailed technical paper, properly footnoted, showing just how to best accomplish this. No need for proper peer review though @ChasingCoral, that's what we're all here for. ;)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Remember the good old days? The days where we wondered if we would get that neat frunk organizer or have to pay for it as an aftermarket from the dealer? My how times change.
No kidding....
I thought that front compartment was huge. But this comes from a guy who daily drives a FFE. Ever see the rear cargo compartment in those things? :)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Oh for sure, it's minor in the scheme of things. Just feels like something done in a vacuum without actually asking customers if they wanted holes left in their "drainable" frunk if they remove this.

I mean... now it's always "drainable" regardless of that plug at the bottom since it's got holes in the side.
True. This is really important. Now we not only need to cover the drain but two more holes if we want to keep the chowdah in the frunk!

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I am still trying to come to terms with not having a compact disk player any more....?
With an inexpensive Bluetooth adapter, 3.5mm to RCA cables, 12V powered record player, and driving fit for Whisper mode, you can enjoy vinyl in your Mach-E. I don't think CD players would be any more difficult. ;)
Sponsored