Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
At around 9:00 PM last night the temperatures fell below freezing and it was raining for the previous 4 hours. The freezing rain continued (about 1/2" worth) and then changed to frozen ice pellets around 2:00 AM when temps dropped to the 20's. We have 2"-3" of frozen ice pellets, on top of the frozen rain. Just now, at 12:00PM it changed to wet snow. Still only 19F. I tried to open the charge door at lunchtime to charge, and it was covered with 1/4" of ice and the rubber seals were frozen to the charge plate. I tried and tried and it would not budge.

I pulled out my handy can of De-Icer from the truck (I bought in in December and have not used it) and within 15 seconds of spraying it popped right open. The whole inner top edge was solid ice about 3/4" into it. I sprayed it in the gap between the fender and cover. Now I am charging for the weekend.

Ice 1 1.jpg

ice 1 2.jpg

GadgetTech

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E Primium Shadow Black
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Nice find! I should probeblly get a can myself. To many sub-zero days lately.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
At around 9:00 PM last night the temperatures fell below freezing and it was raining for the previous 4 hours. The freezing rain continued (about 1/2" worth) and then changed to frozen ice pellets around 2:00 AM when temps dropped to the 20's. We have 2"-3" of frozen ice pellets, on top of the frozen rain. Just now, at 12:00PM it changed to wet snow. Still only 19F. I tried to open the charge door at lunchtime to charge, and it was covered with 1/4" of ice and the rubber seals were frozen to the charge plate. I tried and tried and it would not budge.

I pulled out my handy can of De-Icer from the truck (I bought in in December and have not used it) and within 15 seconds of spraying it popped right open. The whole inner top edge was solid ice about 3/4" into it. I sprayed it in the gap between the fender and cover. Now I am charging for the weekend.

Ice 1 1.jpg

ice 1 2.jpg
That’s Mother Nature telling you to buy a condo in Florida.

Local weather today: high 80, low 64, sunny.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Nice find! I should probeblly get a can myself. To many sub-zero days lately.
I had it in the trunk in a side pocket. The good news is it sprayed fine after being below freezing for over a month and the spray pattern went right into the gap. Shake it well.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
That’s Mother Nature telling you to buy a condo in Florida.

Local weather today: high 80, low 64, sunny.
And do not share what your Range is today, Mine was 117 Miles at 75% for an ER!

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
Ok, had an ice storm in NY this morning and the charge door was frozen open. Much easier to deal with than frozen closed, but still a pain at 6am. My Chargepoint plug was actually frozen too, so I had to thaw that enough just to get it to unlatch and unplug. I may need to have a cheap hairdryer coiled up with a heavy duty extension cord in the garage for winter events like this next year.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I am having the same issue with my ChargePoint wand. I am looking for a silicone sleeve that will slide over the handle and keep water out. It takes forever to melt the ice under the button.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The problem of the cover freezing shut would be the same as with an ICE vehicle, the only fix would be to cover the port door with a blanket or similar prior to foul weather.

The problem with the door open and the charger plugged in can be solved by buying one of the many sleeves on the market, or making a sleeve out of water repellent material with either velcro or a drawstring on both ends to cinch it tight. Some of the sleeves say they connect by magnets, and can scratch paint, so read reviews carefully.

A solution for those incurring this issue once in a blue moon (i.e. traveling) is to take a plastic bread bag or grocery bag, cut off the bottom, slide it over the cable, then secure each end with duct tape to itself. When done charging, simply cut the bag off with a scissors. Not pretty, but functional.

Last edited:

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
The problem of the cover freezing shut would be the same as with an ICE vehicle, the only fix would be to cover the port door with a blanket or similar prior to foul weather.

The problem with the door open and the charger plugged in can be solved by buying one of the many sleeves on the market, or making a sleeve out of water repellent material with either velcro or a drawstring on both ends to cinch it tight. Some of the sleeves say they connect by magnets, and can scratch paint, so read reviews carefully.

A solution for those incurring this issue once in a blue moon (i.e. traveling) is to take a plastic bread bag or grocery bag, cut off the bottom, slide it over the cable, then secure each end with duct tape to itself. When done charging, simply cut the bag off with a scissors. Not pretty, but functional.
Thanks. Yeah, looked at those during my 10 month wait, but was too concerned with scratching paint. Although, when I received the car in January (deep winter NY), I had both full fenders and the charge door PPF’d & ceramic coated along with the full hood, bumper, etc., etc., etc. So there would be a little bit of protection from scratches, but the hair dryer worked and has no chance from 4”-6” away. That being said, I’m certain the darn door froze instantly within my first 2 miles of 75mph highway on my drive to work, so whatever residual melted water has probably sealed that baby solid for my evening charge session. The joys of BEV and not buying gas.
Also the obvious issue is aluminum fenders, so no way to stick the cover without using the tricks you mentioned. Draw string, electrical tape, Velcro strap, etc.
Sponsored