Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
My job 1 vents the electronics right into the frunk. Stupid design for this application. What needs to be done is a reflective bubble wrap around the frunk. And on the bottom. I wrap my bath tubs like this, they’ll stay warm for hours. The idea being the reverse of that. To keep the ac and coolant from heating the frunk while driving. I’m sure it’s not the original intent for this as there is a radiator right in front of it. So far my frunk gets the gym shoes, jackets and Walmart crap. Which is all nearly melted in 90 degrees outdoor temps. I should meter it when I get the chance. Still have no reasonable idea why they vent those electronics to the frunk
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reach-B...Air-Roll-with-Double-Bubble-DD48050/204476657
How to attach it is the hard part. Really good 3m spray adhesive I say.
Sponsored

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Besides, when (not "if"... when) the 14-year old gets uppity in the six weeks on the road, I want to have the option of locking him in the frunk jail 🤣 Insulation is an important safety factor to keep the prisoner healthy or the parents will have an issue.

Oh that's right I forgot about the escape button...

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
There is something around the frunk that gets very, very, very warm when driving at 70+ MPH with the AC running.
Yeah the radiator fan blows hot air right into the front of the tub. If you have the A/C on it doesn’t make much sense to try keeping something cold there.

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah the radiator fan blows hot air right into the front of the tub. If you have the A/C on it doesn’t make much sense to try keeping something cold there.
Yeah didn't think of the radiator.

Based on the location of the louvers, it seems to me the radiator air actually flows under the frunk. Hmmm...

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
One of the things that I think is amazing about the Rivian community is the ingenuity. I know the vehicles have different use cases so it probably lends itself to more creativity. This is a really amazing project that could easily (not cheaply) be done in any EV however:

https://rivian-aftermarket.proboards.com/thread/10/12vdc-frunk-cooler-freezer-project

They also have a water storage system that can go below it:

https://rivian-aftermarket.proboards.com/thread/13/gallon-frunk-water-tank-project

I'm not sure if the demand would warrant a company investing in something like this. You would also have to come up with a solution for power in the frunk, but I imagine you could just do something insulated without power that would act like an ice chest.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yeah didn't think of the radiator.

Based on the location of the louvers, it seems to me the radiator air actually flows under the frunk. Hmmm...
The louvers supply the plenum (void space) in front of the condenser/radiator, after entering the louvers the air actually makes a turn and goes up the whole hight of the radiator before being pulled through by the circular radiator fan on the backside. The fan blows directly on the front of the frunk tub. With the tub removed, you can see the location of the fan, which situated directly under the molded cupholders:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk as a camping ice cooler - test prior to a family Summer road trip. macheunderthehood-

PicoR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium 4X
Country flag
Maybe we should be thinking of using the frunk to keep those restaurant leftovers warm for the ride home :)

OP
OP
21st Century Pony

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The louvers supply the plenum (void space) in front of the condenser/radiator, after entering the louvers the air actually makes a turn and goes up the whole hight of the radiator before being pulled through by the circular radiator fan on the backside. The fan blows directly on the front of the frunk tub. With the tub removed, you can see the location of the fan, which situated directly under the molded cupholders:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk as a camping ice cooler - test prior to a family Summer road trip. macheunderthehood-
We might do some McGyvering and then run another 80 lb ice test...TBC.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I might visit Lowe's or Home Depot today for some thinnish, rigid high R Value cyanoacrylate boards... might just make a foldable liner myself for the long trip. Good idea!
I was thinking more long term.

Pull the frunk out, coat the outside with insulation and reinstall. There really isn’t much holding it in place. Should be a quick job and not much $$. Plus you’ll never see the insulation.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Insulation would still help.

Just look at how long ice stays in a Yeti cup…….. even with the lid off.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I was thinking more long term.

Pull the frunk out, coat the outside with insulation and reinstall. There really isn’t much holding it in place. Should be a quick job and not much $$. Plus you’ll never see the insulation.
I don't think there's enough clearance on the outside. The walls are within about a cm or less of some components. Insulation would have to go on the inside of the tub. Even 1/2" rigid foam would be a huge improvement.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I have a small roll of that bubble insulation up north. I'm going to have my wife bring it back down with her. If I don't get a different MME in the next few days.. I'll try to do a write up. Reality is I can get to it from under the car without taking the whole frunk out, just drop the diaper. I have to get under there for more swaybar work so 2 or more birds with that stone.

Other thing is we need a way to close off those vents in the top. They're for letting air 'out' supposedly but heat rises and it'l going into the frunk area. Some rubber mat across it would help hold cold in and hot out. doesn't need more than a quarters size hole for air to move. I assume they just made it huge to look like it was important.

@Mach-Lee 1/4 inch bubbl
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk as a camping ice cooler - test prior to a family Summer road trip. Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 10.17.48 AM
e insulation. The stuff is not great, but works. .95 r though.

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
Personaly, I probably wouldn't be trying to trap heat in the under frunk area.
Coolers are cheap.
Sponsored