"Frunk" popped open on highway

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
So today I was driving home and between my "fun" of trying to find a charger that worked, I was on the highway when the "frunk" popped open about an inch, got a warning telling me to pull over and close it.

Now, it could be that I didn't close it tightly the last time I used it (yesterday) but I did have about 200 miles driving at 70mph before this happened.

Hoping this was a "frunk" fluke, but it was rather unnerving.
Sponsored

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So today I was driving home and between my "fun" of trying to find a charger that worked, I was on the highway when the "frunk" popped open about an inch, got a warning telling me to pull over and close it.

Now, it could be that I didn't close it tightly the last time I used it (yesterday) but I did have about 200 miles driving at 70mph before this happened.

Hoping this was a "frunk" fluke, but it was rather unnerving.
There is a discussion on this....do a search on Trouble closing hood.

OP
OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The issue wasn't with closing the hood, it was closed, then became open while driving at highway speed. It stayed closed for about 200 miles, no issues then popped open.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Man I'm happy for you that hood did not pop all the way up. YIKES!

OP
OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Man I'm happy for you that hood did not pop all the way up. YIKES!
Luckily they require a secondary latch like any hood (which people hate because they need to pull the lever twice), but yeah, I'll take the inconvenience of opening the frunk over a hood to the windshield.

Still, it wasn't not scary.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
I thought the second latch was for ICE vehicles when they start overheating!

OP
OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I thought the second latch was for ICE vehicles when they start overheating!
§ 571.113 Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
S1. Purpose and scope. This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems.

S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.

S3. Definitions. Hood means any exterior movable body panel forward of the windshield that is used to cover an engine, luggage, storage, or battery compartment.

S4. Requirements.

S4.1 Each hood must be provided with a hood latch system.

S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Years ago as a teen I drove a '61 VW Beetle with a full baja conversion and rubber hood restraints. Once the hood restraints popped and the hood flew up against the windshield. I freaked out, but it was an open road, and I was able to peer between the gap and gradually come to a safe stop. Whew.

A few years later I was on my way back from a party with friends when the driver of our car got into an accident which crunched the front end and popped the airbags (we were OK, but rattled). The car was still driveable (and we weren't where we were supposed to be) so I offered to drive the rest of the way home.

On the highway, the hood popped up against the windshield and everyone started screaming bloody murder. I said, "Relax, I've done this before", and safely piloted the car another half mile to an offramp where I tied the hood back down with a shoelace. Everyone was so amused by my casual "oh i've done this before" that they completely forgot how utterly screwed we were, which is perhaps my only real talent in life.

What were we talking about?

OP
OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Years ago as a teen I drove a '61 VW Beetle with a full baja conversion and rubber hood restraints. Once the hood restraints popped and the hood flew up against the windshield. I freaked out, but it was an open road, and I was able to peer between the gap and gradually come to a safe stop. Whew.

A few years later I was on my way back from a party with friends when the driver of our car got into an accident which crunched the front end and popped the airbags (we were OK, but rattled). The car was still driveable (and we weren't where we were supposed to be) so I offered to drive the rest of the way home.

On the highway, the hood popped up against the windshield and everyone started screaming bloody murder. I said, "Relax, I've done this before", and safely piloted the car another half mile to an offramp where I tied the hood back down with a shoelace. Everyone was so amused by my casual "oh i've done this before" that they completely forgot how utterly screwed we were, which is perhaps my only real talent in life.

What were we talking about?

I'll take segues for $200 Alex.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Glad you didn't lose any precious shrimp or cocktail sauce on the highway when the frunk popped! :)
Or worse, there could have been a headline about a Mach-E's hood flying off the highway, right next to the headline regarding a Model Y's airborne roof.

So glad to hear that nothing of that sort actually happened!

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
The issue wasn't with closing the hood, it was closed, then became open while driving at highway speed. It stayed closed for about 200 miles, no issues then popped open.
You are saying conflicting things in different posts. At first you admit it might not have been closed tightly. Then you unequivocally say it was closed.

OP
OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are saying conflicting things in different posts. At first you admit it might not have been closed tightly. Here you unequivocally say it was closed.
No, it was closed as I stated. It MAY have not been closed correctly (however unlikely) as I mentioned in my initial post, but I also mentioned it was closed and remained closed for 200 highway miles. But it was closed until later it was not.

If there is an issue with the semantics of my initial post, let me be clear.

Hood was closed yesterday, hood remained closed while driving today until hood popped open (i.e. initial latch released, secondary intact). Driver pulled over and closed hood again before driving another 110 miles on highway.
Sponsored