Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Darren Palmer promised during SEMA broadcast that electronic opening frunk will come in an update in first quarter of 2021.

Revealed that the hardware is in place, however, recent changes in regulations are at the root of deactivation of the planned electronic activation of frunk release. Engineers are working to meet the regulations and we should expect OTA update soon.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
He promised it would be in Q1? I don’t remember hearing that.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
They also basically said "yes, it comes with dividers. What you do with your car is your business, not ours" in relation to removing them.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
He didn't say Q1. But he said something like, within months after first deliveries.

They were responding to live questions while standing on a stage under bright lights and cameras...

Reactions: UW2

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They also basically said "yes, it comes with dividers. What you do with your car is your business, not ours" in relation to removing them.
Yup, that answer was clearly rehearsed. I don’t have a problem with the CYA.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Very disappointing. The MME now has two major strikes against it from my point of view. A promise to enable something which should be there from the beginning is an attempt to deflect scrutiny and criticism rather than answer the question. Promised "upgrades" fail to happen on a regular basis.

OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I thought so [obviously] but as always, take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Particularly anything I am adamant about.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Yup, that answer was clearly rehearsed. I don’t have a problem with the CYA.
Me neither and if I was Ford, I'd do the same thing. At least it appears to be relatively easy to remove, so that's a bonus.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very disappointing. The MME now has two major strikes against it from my point of view. A promise to enable something which should be there from the beginning is an attempt to deflect scrutiny and criticism rather than answer the question. Promised "upgrades" fail to happen on a regular basis.
Would you prefer that they delayed the launch when they discovered whatever this regulatory issue is? I'm glad they found a work-around by adding a silly divider for now so that they could get the cars shipped.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I see this as positives from both options. We get a free divider we can remove and (eventually) electronic opening. Yes, it would be better if the electronic opening were there from the start. As long as it is coming soon, I'm OK.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I was online and I only heard him say it would be next year ... not specifically Q1.

But he also said it had to be disabled to meet new safety standards (and I'm pretty confident I heard him say "new" safety standards ... so I'm not sure what those are). This made me wonder what those standards are and what changes might be required to comply with them.

Sometimes even with best intentions, there are things they may not be allowed to do. So I hope he is right about being able to re-enable the feature next year.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I see this as positives from both options. We get a free divider we can remove and (eventually) electronic opening. Yes, it would be better if the electronic opening were there from the start. As long as it is coming soon, I'm OK.
I'm not banking on either Mark. I certainly hope the dividers can be removed, but don't actually know that until we see real customer cars. I'm also not betting on an OTA to enable the remote opening. That may or may not happen. I have no doubt the people in the presentation honestly believe what they're saying, but we all know the old saying about intentions. Things happen.

As near as I can tell, there's nothing in the Federal Register over the past few years directly related to interior trunk releases or car trunks in general.

What I'm seeing is that, for me, the vehicle is being delivered without a usable frunk and there is a prohibition against towing. One of those is bad, the other is very close to a deal breaker.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I personally didn't like the dividers when I saw them in person. I thought they were ok in the photos and utilitarian in separation of things carried up there, but the implementation of them leaves a lot to be desired. They didn't seem to fit well and weirdly they looked 3D printed. My only hope is that removing them doesn't leave butchered holes on the inside. If its a nicely machined and recessed screw hole that can be plugged, I'll be ok with that. If its a barbaric screw gouged through plastic, I'll be less excited.