Frustrated that I'm still waiting for the OTA recall software update. Am I the only one?

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I have a 2022 GT. Got the car this past March. I'm still waiting for the recall software update. I decided to just bring it into my dealer in 2 weeks.. How long does it take for the dealer to update? It's a 50 mile round trip drive for me. Should I wait at the dealership or drop the car off the night before? I just wish I could avoid this and get the patch OTA. Are other people still waiting? Argghhhh...
Sponsored

babyplex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE, 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
You're not the only one waiting for Ford to bless you with the OTA update. I got my car in May and have been patiently waiting for the update to beam into my garage.

I made the same appointment with a local dealer to update the car as well but have to wait 2-3 weeks for the servicing que to clear off. From what I've heard from the service manager, it can take up to half a day for the car to be updated.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Stop stressing about it. The recall SOFTWARE update doesn’t do anything to fix the HARDWARE problem.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
It takes 35 minutes. Most people are done in less than 2 hours. So you can wait at the dealer, just make sure they know you're coming for a software update and the tech that does that is available.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a 2022 GT. Got the car this past March. I'm still waiting for the recall software update. I decided to just bring it into my dealer in 2 weeks.. How long does it take for the dealer to update? It's a 50 mile round trip drive for me. Should I wait at the dealership or drop the car off the night before? I just wish I could avoid this and get the patch OTA. Are other people still waiting? Argghhhh...
Same here. March GT and still waiting but not worried about it.

Bill S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Prem ER eAWD, 18 Tesla M3, 64 Falcon Sprint
Country flag
I received the OTA update for the recall last week while traveling. No big deal. I am a 2022 Premium X eAWD built mid March.

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
Still waiting. Guess I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Don't know why anyone would wait unless a dealership won't make an appointment for you. Make an appointment, cancel it if the OTA update comes first.

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
Well, have you "gone fishing" for OTAs?

There is some evidence that Ford has been sending OTAs most often via cellular and NOT Wifi. And, understandably, the OTA system only triggers IF all conditions are optimal for the whole thing to work. Like your 12V battery is above 80% charge, and you have greater than 4 bars of connectivity to the AT&T network.

I intentionally started going fishing for OTAs and starting catching them. Might have been a coincidence BUT since it meant taking a pleasure drive to increase the 12V battery charge, along routes with strong cellular signal, and then parking at a really nice coffeehouse with 5 bars of AT&T signal, it was fun going fishing.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Ah, just like with my F150 Lightning - still waiting for the long anticipated OTA 3.4 which I am dying to try out the "new" 1PD.....

OP
OP

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
This is very interesting. I live in rural NH. Cell signals are usually weak. Also my wifi signal to the driveway is weak too. I have recently received the other updates, Alexa etc. If what you are saying is true, and it makes sense then Ford should tell people this. I would gladly drive to an area with a strong signal. (We still have 4G).

So what you are saying to do it drive to a strong cell signal, park the car and go to the software update button and search. It would magically appear? Then just download it?

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I turned off automatic updates because I don't want the recall software. Not until I see some evidence that it will make things better, rather than worse. I have no interest in precipitating a problem that requires me to visit a dealer that may or may not be able to schedule me in less than a month, and may or may not have the experience to competently perform the necessary part replacement.

Maybe in a few months.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
So what you are saying to do it drive to a strong cell signal, park the car and go to the software update button and search. It would magically appear? Then just download it?
This has worked for me multiple times. But to ensure success you should check the hidden JSON data on your cars Ford.com dashboard to see if you have been scheduled for an OTA. Read this thread for details.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ota-update-status-hidden-in-the-ford-website.12367/

or use one of the Widgets to extract OTA status for you.

Glen Boise

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is my impression that the OTA's are sent out in VIN order. So be patient. Also, check to make sure your car is connecting with your home WiFi, when you park for the night. I found my Mach-E sometimes "forgets" to connect. AT&T service is weak in my part of town. Like one bar of reception. Yet, I received my recall OTA at home.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Well, have you "gone fishing" for OTAs?

There is some evidence that Ford has been sending OTAs most often via cellular and NOT Wifi. And, understandably, the OTA system only triggers IF all conditions are optimal for the whole thing to work. Like your 12V battery is above 80% charge, and you have greater than 4 bars of connectivity to the AT&T network.

I intentionally started going fishing for OTAs and starting catching them. Might have been a coincidence BUT since it meant taking a pleasure drive to increase the 12V battery charge, along routes with strong cellular signal, and then parking at a really nice coffeehouse with 5 bars of AT&T signal, it was fun going fishing.
I agree with this. My house has weak cell signal. I use the widget and while I was on vacation, it showed Ford was trying to push the recall to my car and it would not go despite having good wifi/internet. Once I got home and drove to where I go jogging for an hour, I got back to my car and the update was ready to install. I pushed install and it took about 20-25 minutes. Right after it I then got 2.8.3 updated as well.

All updates that I have ever received happened when I was NOT at my house on wifi but rather a place that had strong cell service.
Sponsored