Frustrated with Paak & FOB

jnthn98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I really like my MME, but the issues with PaaK & FOB are really frustrating. Partly ranting here, but the last one (#3) happened tonight and I am like ?!@#?.

1. PaaK doesn't work for my phone. Tried many experiments (I am an engineer and have various methology/approach to debug an issue) and concluded that Ford's PaaK implementation is not as robust as Tesla. My wife has a Model Y, no phone key issue there with the same phone. To prevent any potential conflict, I removed the Tesla app, and tried Ford's PaaK again (reboot phone/resintall app/etc) but it still doesn't work.

2. Fine, I will use the FOB. But the auto walk-away locking feature works only 90% of the time, which is not good enough for security. Fine, I enabled the "honk" option to confirm the lock occurred. If I don't hear a honk, I will manually lock the doors via the FOB for the 10% of the time.

3. When I am home late, I don't want the honk (from the auto walk-away locking feature) to wake up my kids. So I use the FOB to lock the doors before I walk away from the car. This works most of the time, but it didn't work tonight. First press on the FOB lock button, nothing occurred as I am standing literally next to the car. Two seconds later, I pressed on the FOB lock button again, the doors locked, but the honk sounded. Yikes! My kids are sleeping! MME's honk confirmation is A LOT louder than Tesla's honk confirmation.

After walking away from the car, I realized I left something in the car. I walked back, unlocked the car, got my stuff, then really thought hard what to do. I don't want my MME to honk again. An idea came to mind: lock the doors from the internal button before I shut the driver's door. Everything seemed fine after the lock/door closure, but after a few steps away from the car, it honked. #@$?!@

Man, Ford really need to look into these phone/FOB issues.
Sponsored

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
I really like my MME, but the issues with PaaK & FOB are really frustrating. Partly ranting here, but the last one (#3) happened tonight and I am like ?!@#?.

1. PaaK doesn't work for my phone. Tried many experiments (I am an engineer and have various methology/approach to debug an issue) and concluded that Ford's PaaK implementation is not as robust as Tesla. My wife has a Model Y, no phone key issue there with the same phone. To prevent any potential conflict, I removed the Tesla app, and tried Ford's PaaK again (reboot phone/resintall app/etc) but it still doesn't work.

2. Fine, I will use the FOB. But the auto walk-away locking feature works only 90% of the time, which is not good enough for security. Fine, I enabled the "honk" option to confirm the lock occurred. If I don't hear a honk, I will manually lock the doors via the FOB for the 10% of the time.

3. When I am home late, I don't want the honk (from the auto walk-away locking feature) to wake up my kids. So I use the FOB to lock the doors before I walk away from the car. This works most of the time, but it didn't work tonight. First press on the FOB lock button, nothing occurred as I am standing literally next to the car. Two seconds later, I pressed on the FOB lock button again, the doors locked, but the honk sounded. Yikes! My kids are sleeping! MME's honk confirmation is A LOT louder than Tesla's honk confirmation.

After walking away from the car, I realized I left something in the car. I walked back, unlocked the car, got my stuff, then really thought hard what to do. I don't want my MME to honk again. An idea came to mind: lock the doors from the internal button before I shut the driver's door. Everything seemed fine after the lock/door closure, but after a few steps away from the car, it honked. #@$?!@

Man, Ford really need to look into these phone/FOB issues.
You are lucky to even have the facility, even if it isn't working properly. We, in the UK, DON'T have PAAK, we DON'T have a decent Mustang branded key fob and we DON'T have the walk away lock function.

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
I haven't found this, how do I disable the honk?

I'll be 5 feet away from the car and it'll scare the shit out of me, or like you encounter - wake people up as I usually pull it in closer to charge.

Will even lock it via FOB or phone at this point, I just want the bloody thing to stop honking at me.

Really stupid of Ford to use the bog standard honk for what could have been a chirp. Even my girlfriend's Nissan Leaf makes a pleasant backup noise compared to the beeps we get.

Another gripe - the frunk disables the remote start. Which is a thing of the old days so people couldn't get to the engine was the car was remote started. Now it's just a PITA to get something from the frunk and have remote start disable itself.

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
walk away lock works 100% of the time for me. Are you sure you are walking away far enough for it to lock? Also you can turn it off in the vehicle settings menu on the center display

OP
OP

jnthn98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
walk away lock works 100% of the time for me. Are you sure you are walking away far enough for it to lock? Also you can turn it off in the vehicle settings menu on the center display
Yeah, unfortunately for the times that the auto lock doesn't work, I've walked away pretty far (much farther than the times that it auto locks for me). Maybe if I stand there and wait longer, it will eventually lock, but that's not realistic for most people to do.

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Here's the OM. you should be able to turn off the sound in settings. You can hear/see mirros fold in as confirmation it locked.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Frustrated with Paak & FOB 1623659131430

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If I recall correctly to disable the beep on lock there is a setting below the walk away lock that is only enabled if you set the walk away lock. It's right below walk away lock in the settings menu

OP
OP

jnthn98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Yeah, the honk on lock setting is there in the menu. That's not the problem. I need the honk on lock during the day to confirm the auto locking of the car so I leave the setting on. But at night, i manually lock via FOB before the car honks (i.e. to not wake up my kids). It works most of the time, but not always.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, the honk on lock setting is there in the menu. That's not the problem. I need the honk on lock during the day to confirm the auto locking of the car so I leave the setting on. But at night, i manually lock via FOB before the car honks (i.e. to not wake up my kids). It works most of the time, but not always.
I'm going to speculate that the software engineering team never thought of that use case.

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
Lock from the door pillar?
Sponsored