awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
1) BlueCruise turns on and off with almost no warning. This is well documented by others. For me, it often does so without even an audio warning, causing me to be notified after it switches with a “hands on wheel” alert. How about warning me first? This is dangerous.
I have a question about this. Most commonly when my hands-free BC disengages, it switches to hands-on BC (signified by the circular blue lines that surround the car in the cluster). When this happens I think there is sort of a warning, right? It maintains lane centering and follow distance but asks you to take the wheel and gives you some time before it completely disengages I believe?

Occasionally I believe I've observed BC just totally switch off (no hands-free, and no hands-on), and I believe that's when it suddenly loses any lane markers and cannot successfully operate, like in a construction zone. That's when/why it's always important to be able to take the wheel. But in my experience this is quite uncommon.
Sponsored

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt 2017, Mustang Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
You may notice that I’m not a person who complains often (only 3 posts here since I bought the car, and the others aren’t complaints), so this is serious frustration.

I just wish that I could drop back to the previous lane centering behavior, without BlueCruise, and disable the eye monitoring. Mine is _far_ too sensitive.

- Alex
I would agree it is too sensitive. However , safety first. Rather it annoys me once in a while then not warn me and have an accident.

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Evo X, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Perhaps not the safest application, but I’ve been able to enjoy my entire Big Mac and Fries (large) meal on a road trip with the assistance of BC… 😜

Have you timed the period between nanny warnings?

WWJPD

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I'll back you up, OP, and I have 21K miles so far, 10000 of which were long trips using BC. BC switches to "Keep your hands on the wheel" mode without much warning. I'd like a nice, non-alarming, ding when it happens. I too like to drive with my left hand on the top of the wheel and it' complains. I'd think if at least the right camera could see an eye, it wouldn't complain, but it does. And sipping a large cup of hot coffee is very annoying - I'm watching traffic from one eye. I don't wear glasses except the occasional sunglasses, so it's not something with that. Maybe it's that I'm tall at about 6'3".

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
I've timed my personal experience with the eye warning by covering my eyes with my hands (while peeking through the slits between fingers). I can count to seven before I get a warning.

I'll have to try it again after the latest BC update because I do feel that overall BC has been less happy with engaging (and thus wonder if behavior has changed). But I don't feel I've gotten excessive warnings. I drove 90 miles with BC last night and I don't think I got a single warning.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Well, it might be glasses-related, as I do wear progressive bifocals.

I did some quick testing to see what the eye tracking can see and what it can’t, and its ability to monitor eyes is quite limited. I can stare at the clouds, with my eyes facing front, for as long as I like, with no complaints, but drinking is right out.
There is a range of allowed angles it wants your eyeballs to be looking (basically straight ahead). If your eyeballs deviate from the allowed angles, then you get warned. Rearview mirror, screens, and side windows are all outside of the allowed range. You can probably look at the clouds out the front or look to the side slightly while staying in the allowed zone.

Here is a video showing how the tech works and the data available. Notice the pitch and yaw values for each eye.

Oh, I should also mention the monitoring camera saves the last 5 seconds of video before a crash, so the court may be able to see if you are guilty of distracted driving. Usually the event recorder data is only pulled in a very severe crash (like you killed somebody), but it’s good to know.

Last edited:

LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitter…and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
I have generally not been bothered by when and how the system “reminds” me.

OP
OP

silence

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-e CR1 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Sales engineer
Country flag
I’ll have to try it again, but my impression is that the grace period is much less than 5 seconds. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how I could safely time it, unless I could get the monitoring system to turn on while the car isn’t moving.

I’m all for driver assistance tech that helps to remind you to be attentive, or points out when you’re drowsy, but BC is far to quick to nag, at least in my car.

- Alex

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
I find the eye tracking to be almost too lenient. I’ve definitely had it warn me to watch the road, but in instances where I’ve tested how long I can look away for, I chickened out and looked back before it chimes.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I’ll have to try it again, but my impression is that the grace period is much less than 5 seconds. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how I could safely time it, unless I could get the monitoring system to turn on while the car isn’t moving.

I’m all for driver assistance tech that helps to remind you to be attentive, or points out when you’re drowsy, but BC is far to quick to nag, at least in my car.

- Alex
I’m in agreement here. No hands free BC here but this thing nags almost immediately in hands on BC. Look in the rear view mirror? Nag. Look at the Waze map for speed trap sleet? Nag. Look down at the speed or for anything else on the IPC? Nag.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
You may notice that I’m not a person who complains often (only 3 posts here since I bought the car, and the others aren’t complaints), so this is serious frustration.

I just wish that I could drop back to the previous lane centering behavior, without BlueCruise, and disable the eye monitoring. Mine is _far_ too sensitive.

- Alex
Yeah, haven’t heard a lot of whingin’ from you, “Silence.”😉

You mentioned in another post, “progressive bi-vocals.” What are those? I thought you either have progressives or you have bi-vocals.

It’s probably your hand on the top the wheel. I think the car is trying to tell you “get your hand out of my face - I’m trying to drive here.” It’s a hands-free mode. Try relaxing and keep your hands in your lap or lightly on the bottom and see if that works. Otherwise, something ain’t right. It’s not supposed to be that sensitive. I can take a drink (not a long one) with no issue. It occasionally disconnects with no apparent reason, but most of the time it works fine. I have a Job 1 with all of the updates - some via OTA, but the BC via the dealer.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yeah, haven’t heard a lot of whingin’ from you, “Silence.”😉

You mentioned in another post, “progressive bi-vocals.” What are those? I thought you either have progressives or you have bi-vocals.

It’s probably your hand on the top the wheel. I think the car is trying to tell you “get your hand out of my face - I’m trying to drive here.” It’s a hands-free mode. Try relaxing and keep your hands in your lap or lightly on the bottom and see if that works. Otherwise, something ain’t right. It’s not supposed to be that sensitive. I can take a drink (not a long one) with no issue. It occasionally disconnects with no apparent reason, but most of the time it works fine. I have a Job 1 with all of the updates - some via OTA, but the BC via the dealer.
I wear progressive bifocals. It’s not the glasses. I also subconsciously slip my lefthand to the top of the steering wheel when I’m on a long straightaway. It’s the hands.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
The only one of the issues that I find impacts me is driving with my hand at the top of the wheel and getting yelled at to watch the road when I do that. I also like to drive with my hand at the top of the wheel and that one annoys me a bit. The system seems to allow me to take drinks and look other directions briefly without any issues.
Same.

OP
OP

silence

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-e CR1 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Sales engineer
Country flag
I think, at this point (while I wait endlessly for my Mach-E to come back from the dealer with fixed tire pressure sensors), the thing to say is that the eye sensors need some more distance between them, to avoid being so easily blocked.

Ford, if you’re listening, give that some thought, please.

- Alex
Sponsored