ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
@SnBGC I will PM you my VIN.

I spoke to my sales rep who has been super helpful despite this not being his department. If I understood him correctly, he said this was related to unlocking the car, not with the fob, I think with the phone.

I have not had any issue with phone as key. If anything, my phone as key has been too sensitive, setting it off at least once from inside my home, and also repeatedly when I was hanging out in a family member's front yard, playing with their dog

As a side note, about that repeated unlocking, the MME kept unlocking with PaaK from as far away as 50 feet when I was running around with the doggo, though I was typically 20-30 feet away. Eventually this process seemed to time out where the MME stopped unlocking (followed by automatic relocking, followed again by PaaK unlocking). I had to use the fob when leaving as the car had stopped going through this cycle after maybe the 5th time - I wonder if this is why PaaK isn't working for some people, maybe it is timing out from repeated unlocks/locks without them seeing it happen.

Anyway, I should get the MME back tomorrow. Maybe I wasn't the first person to have their MME delivered, but I might be the first person to have had their MME recalled ;)
Sponsored

Kkp

First Name
Kalyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
I got recall notice. I will call dealer tomorrow and hopefully they have know what is this related to

Reactions: ARK

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Why can't that be done via OTA?
Exactly. This car is being sold as fully OTA-able... surely this could have already been OTA-ed? Or was the OTA capability oversold? I would be absolutely livid if I had to bring back my "bumper-to-bumper OTA capable" vehicle back for a software update.

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Exactly. This car is being sold as fully OTA-able... surely this could have already been OTA-ed? Or was the OTA capability oversold? I would be absolutely livid if I had to bring back my "bumper-to-bumper OTA capable" vehicle back for a software update.
Maybe certain critical systems can’t be done via OTA? Dunno if it is because of some technical limitation they face or if it might be intentional as they don’t wanna risk bricking the car by messing with the vehicle activation coding over the air.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Maybe certain critical systems can’t be done via OTA? Dunno if it is because of some technical limitation they face or if it might be intentional as they don’t wanna risk bricking the car by messing with the vehicle activation coding over the air.
Yeah I think that may very well be the case ... that certain things are off limits for OTA or not preferred to be OTA

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
For those who have taken delivery of their Mach-Es, has anyone received a Field Service Action No. 21B02?

This popped up today in my Ford Pass App under the Recall tab. The FSA title is "Software Calibration Update", I am not seeing any other information. It's asking me to make a dealer service appointment.

11fcb6c8-a704-434a-8a0d-30ad5876a466-png.png

f6d5dc43-b949-49bf-a15a-1f9cadf52d49-png.png

6f5a5d50-fa41-4e50-a11f-5011061a277d-jpeg.jpg

08f3d22b-338a-4eea-8cfa-51f9d979c033-png.png
I just checked and I too have the FSA for the Software Calibration Update. I will go to dealer tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Last edited:

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I haven't even picked up the car from the dealer yet but seeing that recall notice as well. Hoping our ME OTA updates are more like Tesla's and less like VW's approach here...

"Tesla updating software of a fleet in parking lot looks like the aliens are coming - Electrek" https://electrek.co/2021/02/07/tesla-updating-software-fleet-parking-lot-aliens-coming/

Ford Mustang Mach-E FSA Field Service Action No. 21B02 (Recall?) -- "Software Calibration Update" Screenshot_20210212-003015_FordPass
so you are close to picking up the car? when was it built? just curious if there is a trend developing by build dates?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
@SnBGC I will PM you my VIN.

I spoke to my sales rep who has been super helpful despite this not being his department. If I understood him correctly, he said this was related to unlocking the car, not with the fob, I think with the phone.

I have not had any issue with phone as key. If anything, my phone as key has been too sensitive, setting it off at least once from inside my home, and also repeatedly when I was hanging out in a family member's front yard, playing with their dog

As a side note, about that repeated unlocking, the MME kept unlocking with PaaK from as far away as 50 feet when I was running around with the doggo, though I was typically 20-30 feet away. Eventually this process seemed to time out where the MME stopped unlocking (followed by automatic relocking, followed again by PaaK unlocking). I had to use the fob when leaving as the car had stopped going through this cycle after maybe the 5th time - I wonder if this is why PaaK isn't working for some people, maybe it is timing out from repeated unlocks/locks without them seeing it happen.

Anyway, I should get the MME back tomorrow. Maybe I wasn't the first person to have their MME delivered, but I might be the first person to have had their MME recalled ;)
If (big assumption) its related to unlocking/PAAK - shouldn't the fix apply to all vehicles? Your description of the vehicle timing out makes sense but again if that is the case, can apply to all vehicles. I know we are just speculating here.

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
If (big assumption) its related to unlocking/PAAK - shouldn't the fix apply to all vehicles? Your description of the vehicle timing out makes sense but again if that is the case, can apply to all vehicles. I know we are just speculating here.
I agree it should, unless that’s what the stop ship was about, and all the other MMEs were manufactured after the defect was fixed through an update or otherwise updated at the factory. But that doesn’t really make sense as to why/how some MMEs would have been missed for that fix, if it really was for the same thing.

If I am able to get my car back tomorrow I’ll see if my dealer has more info on what it was.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
That gives me even more concern about purchasing the car - it'd be troubling if true.

None of the descriptions we have been given for Mach-E's OTA capabilities have ever mentioned any specific limitation. We've been told that this vehicle is "bumper-to-bumper" OTA capable.

There is simply no excuse for a dealer software visit on an OTA-capable car. It's making me doubt the car is really OTA capable at all.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I wonder how they know its certain VINs - what I mean is does the Ford mother ship monitoring system see what the car is doing and sense something is Off (like the car sends periodic data)? Or they traced it back from the factory based on some component lot numbers etc. The latter I can understand, the former would be interesting
Both.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
We know they're working on/finalizing an OTA package, per remarks from Ford employees on social media/etc.

My guess is that they aren't quite ready to start OTA's and have the service bulletin set in the meantime for those that may need it. No such TSB has shown up in my FordPass app though.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Nothing on mine. It was called back to KC from Delaware for the QC campaign so this may only be for vehicles that slipped through.

Why can't that be done via OTA?
The vehicles that were being tested in KC were charged, allowed to sit and tested. I suspect they want to have these tested in a shop.