KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Thanks to @SnBGC I got the service bulletin. It is posted below. Looks like it was a remote start issue.

8C645DA0-5E60-4B5B-B96F-4EBAB906A478.png
So, all vehicles built before January 9th. I'll be sure to bring this up to my dealer before I take delivery. @ChasingCoral it would be great to add this to the top of your checklist.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
but for ford to still be working on finalizing the OTA is poor :( it should have been ready out of the gate
We have no idea what the scope of the update is, when it was started, if they had unexpected issues, if they are still working through the process since its the new, etc.

So I'll just have to disagree with you.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
took delivery 2/2 and just got the FSA alert in my ford pass app today 2/12. scheduled a service for next wednesday. yes, wish OTA could've taken care of it.

production date: 12/5, ship date 12/28, premium std rwd

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
While continuing with the issuing TSB/FSA makes sense from a company logistics and tracking point of view and in regards to this issue if it was a supposed to done at dealer but forgotten step not intended to be OTA that makes sense so will give the benefit of the doubt, but for ford to still be working on finalizing the OTA is poor :( it should have been ready out of the gate, I can understand manufacturing delays due to covid but with the roll of OTA I am struggling to think of a valid reason, those manufacturing delays would have potentially allowed even more time for testing of OTA prior to launch.
I agree, OTA should be ready. But it's not. Close, works for most things, but not 100%. No excuse for it.

Would people be mad if an OTA bricked their vehicle? Yeah, I think so. The dealer method is 100% effective. Is it slightly more inconvenient than OTA? Yeah, yeah it is.

Would a dealer, right now, know how to unbrick a failed OTA? Hmmm... I defer to the TSB method above for now.

Need to get OTA to 100% effective.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Just want to make an observation that the change is a "software calibration update". It mentions that once the update is applied, other modules will automatically update.

It is probable that the update itself is some config / calibration files that are not intended to be OTA. Every embedded system usually has some critical part (config, bootloader, etc) that is never intended to be updated in the field. So, before we shake our fists and say that OTA should solve this, can we calm down and just accept the note for what it says, e.g,. "calibration update" not just "software update".

Thanks. I now return you to your regularly scheduled fist-shaking.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So, all vehicles built before January 9th. I'll be sure to bring this up to my dealer before I take delivery. @ChasingCoral it would be great to add this to the top of your checklist.
Done

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Nothing like transparency... Could they be any more vague about this issue.. I hope the dealers are checking on deliveries for last minute updates like this before letting you drive off.
Could this be why delivery slipped from the 13th to the 23rd?

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine was build Jan 9th so I guess this software or calibration update was included already or will need the dealer to do it prior to delivery, ETA 03/05/2021. We must not forget that this is a first year production of a complex vehicule and it might still needs a bit of adjustments here and there, and I prefer that Ford does immediate corrections when finding somethings and signals it to owners and dealers instead of not saying anything or say it's within specs. ;) ?

Last edited:

spp

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Cherokee, Pacifica PHEV
Occupation
Sr. Solution Architect
Country flag
I wonder how they know its certain VINs - what I mean is does the Ford mother ship monitoring system see what the car is doing and sense something is Off (like the car sends periodic data)? Or they traced it back from the factory based on some component lot numbers etc. The latter I can understand, the former would be interesting
I can answer this two ways. We track down to the last nut every part on the vehicle as it left the factory. Ford, GM, and Toyota do as well and I assume at least every legacy OEM does as well. We're on the hook for recalls and being able to trace everything via our supply chains is critical to ensure we cover every possible affected by a bad part (and to minimize costs when recalls do occur).

As for the software, we also know exactly what software revision and hash check is on every ECU when it left the factory AND when ECUs are updated/swapped out at the dealer. Again, recalls. At least for FCA, the vehicle also reports in on every key on to check for updates to ensure it has the latest updates for everything.

Ford looks to be using Wind River as their OTA provider which is different that the one we use so I am not sure how they deal with updates. I imaging there are both check for update as well as query capabilities. It just makes sense when you need to manage a ton of devices, which these things are (2 ton devices capable of going 100+mph but devices nonetheless...).

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@SnBGC I will PM you my VIN.

I spoke to my sales rep who has been super helpful despite this not being his department. If I understood him correctly, he said this was related to unlocking the car, not with the fob, I think with the phone.

I have not had any issue with phone as key. If anything, my phone as key has been too sensitive, setting it off at least once from inside my home, and also repeatedly when I was hanging out in a family member's front yard, playing with their dog

As a side note, about that repeated unlocking, the MME kept unlocking with PaaK from as far away as 50 feet when I was running around with the doggo, though I was typically 20-30 feet away. Eventually this process seemed to time out where the MME stopped unlocking (followed by automatic relocking, followed again by PaaK unlocking). I had to use the fob when leaving as the car had stopped going through this cycle after maybe the 5th time - I wonder if this is why PaaK isn't working for some people, maybe it is timing out from repeated unlocks/locks without them seeing it happen.

Anyway, I should get the MME back tomorrow. Maybe I wasn't the first person to have their MME delivered, but I might be the first person to have had their MME recalled ;)
Thanks for the info same notice here today.

Reactions: ARK

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
For those who have taken delivery of their Mach-Es, has anyone received a Field Service Action No. 21B02?

This popped up today in my Ford Pass App under the Recall tab. The FSA title is "Software Calibration Update", I am not seeing any other information. It's asking me to make a dealer service appointment.

11fcb6c8-a704-434a-8a0d-30ad5876a466-png.png

f6d5dc43-b949-49bf-a15a-1f9cadf52d49-png.png

6f5a5d50-fa41-4e50-a11f-5011061a277d-jpeg.jpg

08f3d22b-338a-4eea-8cfa-51f9d979c033-png.png
Went to my local dealer today (which is not where I bought the car) - that are working on Monday (the holiday) - so made a 9 AM appointment - service writer was not sure how long the updates will take - as he noted "your's the first, so will know after we do yours." I'll post when done.