hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
I just picked up my MME this week and I'm looking into some of the PPF options. I've gotten a few prices for the full front coverage (bumper, hood, mirrors, pillars, etc) - the whole front - and its just a bit more than I'm looking to spend right now.. I got the car earlier than expected, since I found one on the lot, and I have to spend to put in a L2 charger first.. priorities!

Anyway, one of the shops mentioned there is a partial hood kit.. It covers the edge of the hood, corner of the fenders and mirrors... The price is much more manageable. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this kit before (Its still Xpel Ultimate Plus) and whether its still working getting just those areas and not the bumper.

I'm coming from an SUV which had the aerodynamics of a brick - a Dodge Durango, and the edge of my hood was chipped up alot, but the bumper really didn't have anything. I'm guessing the plastic is more forgiving than metal when a rock hits it. I also do my own car detailing; I plan on ceramic coating it myself and I'm out there just about every weekend from spring to fall washing and detailing my car.. I just don't want to have to keep fixing spots with touch-up paint like I have the last 3 years.

For those of you who've got a few thousand miles on their MME's already, are there spots that take more abuse than others? Is getting even the partial hood, without the bumper worth it? I do plan on getting a vinyl wrap/grill at some point also, so its really just the bumper area under the lights that might take some abuse....

IMG_3759.PNG
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
6,300 miles, 4,800 highway. 1 chip on hood. Waste of money IMO.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
One potential problem with the partial hood PPF is that over time, dirt can accumulate along the edge of the PPF that goes across the hood and the edge of the PPF can become very visible, especially on lighter colors. Since you like to detail your own car and since you will apply a ceramic coating, you may not have this issue.

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
I did a partial hood, full front and headlights for $1200 and, if I had to do it over again, would go for the full hood (i believe the quote was about $800-$900 additional). My color is star white and the dirt does collect at the seam at the halfway point on the hood. Also, I had a small rock chip on the hood about an inch above the partial PPF (was able to use touch-up paint to repair). I did ceramic coat on top of the PPF and so the dirt does wash right out. Beware that the corners of the front "moustache" are difficult for many installers to fit due to the curves and need to stretch the PPF material. All in all - I am glad I did the PPF, the "grill" decal and the ceramic coating. Also did window tint and painted the calipers.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
I did not do partial hood because I did not want the seam. Just did front part, mirrors and rear sill below the liftgate. Looks great.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I did the partial front on my rapid red and it looks good. Would have preferred the full front but wasn’t worth the extra $800 or so in my opinion.

OP
OP
hls811

hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
I did a partial hood, full front and headlights for $1200 and, if I had to do it over again, would go for the full hood (i believe the quote was about $800-$900 additional). My color is star white and the dirt does collect at the seam at the halfway point on the hood. Also, I had a small rock chip on the hood about an inch above the partial PPF (was able to use touch-up paint to repair). I did ceramic coat on top of the PPF and so the dirt does wash right out. Beware that the corners of the front "moustache" are difficult for many installers to fit due to the curves and need to stretch the PPF material. All in all - I am glad I did the PPF, the "grill" decal and the ceramic coating. Also did window tint and painted the calipers.
Thats my fear.. I know if I go partial, the first chip will be right above the film! And same here with the cost difference.. Its $1900 for the whole front (Bumper, Hood, Fenders MIrrors, etc) - $1200 for Bumper and partial hood, and $350 for the partial hood, partial fenders.. BIG price differences...

I'll be doing tint on the front windows too... Its too bright in there. :)

I did not do partial hood because I did not want the seam. Just did front part, mirrors and rear sill below the liftgate. Looks great.
My biggest hesitation with the partial hood is the seam and whether I'd see it and never be able to un-see it.

I did the partial front on my rapid red and it looks good. Would have preferred the full front but wasn’t worth the extra $800 or so in my opinion.
Exactly! If it was $100-20$0 more it would be a no-brainer.. for an extra $800, I can buy a heck of a lot of touchup paint, and if gets THAT bad, I just get a paintjob!
Any chance you have a picture? Does it change the shading of the color at all?

Last edited:

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thats my fear.. I know if I go partial, the first chip will be right above the film! And same here with the cost difference.. Its $1900 for the whole front (Bumper, Hood, Fenders MIrrors, etc) - $1200 for Bumper and partial hood, and $350 for the partial hood, partial fenders.. BIG price differences...

My biggest hesitation with the partial hood is the seam and whether I'd see it and never be able to un-see it.

Exactly! If it was $100-20$0 more it would be a no-brainer.. for an extra $800, I can buy a heck of a lot of touchup paint, and if gets THAT bad, I just get a paintjob!
It snowed this weekend so it’s covered in road salt, but I’m going to wash it this afternoon and I’ll try to remember to snap a photo.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
Just my opinion, I would not do the hood until you can swing the full hood cost. The line would drive me crazy. Protect the vertical surfaces like bumper, mirrors, A pillars, and fenders first. If you can do your own ceramic, do that on the hood interim. Although this weather isn’t ideal for curing ceramic, it will be better than nothing.
For reference, I picked up my GTPE this past Saturday with 11 miles on it and it went right to my PPF/ceramic installer 30 minutes later with only 13 miles on it for full hood, bumper, full fenders, A pillar, head lights, and mirrors, plus three (3) coats of ceramic on whole car and wheels. Total was almost $4k, but I signed up for some credit offer for 18 months no interest. I always take the free money regardless of having the cash to pay for something. So you might be able to find a similar deal if you don’t have the full funds now.
My GT is my daily driver and NY winters are brutal on a car with the salt and stones they put down on the roads. I commute 60 highway miles to work everyday and I love my cars, so it is money well spent. I just sold my Cayenne with 80k miles and it was flawless inside and out. Even though I paint, who wants to do that on their daily driver? Classic or resto-mod for sure, but not on the piece of steel that just gets you around town.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

This is a bit delayed but I finally snapped a picture of the partial front PPF. Dang snow and road salt have been wreaking havoc on my car! Finally got it clean.

CA420583-6DD9-4385-8DA1-76268C21E9BF.jpeg

0C00E34C-ACD9-420E-947A-BE36A1BE75BD.jpeg

0D76E90C-4204-47DA-A33A-A252399762D9.jpeg

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer