Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OK, I just poked around in Blue Oval Forums and saw:

On 7/5/2020 at 8:11 AM, ice-capades said:
Per Friday's FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin), here's the production timetable for the 2021 Mustang Mach-E.
  • 06/22/2020 - 2021MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 08/20/2020 - 2021MY Scheduling Begins
  • 10/26/2020 - 2021MY Job #1 Date
So that explains the news broken by Ford Authority.

This also means that reservations converted to orders by the 7/31 First Edition deadline will be part of the first build scheduling. Not sure if orders through 8/20 would still make it into the first scheduling. We'd need someone with more details on how that works to be sure.
Sponsored

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Does Oct. 26th mess with the recently changed delivery start dates for the select and Rt 1?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Hopeful that this indeed is the date for full scale mass production and as others have said maybe the trial runs will be before that for demo units, etc. to get the line Up to speed. Good news at least to see the calendar is getting out now.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Does Oct. 26th mess with the recently changed delivery start dates for the select and Rt 1?
Yes, I don't see how any of this adds up since on the Ford website Rt 1 and Select moved the beginning of delivers up from 2021 to late 2020...???

Why would they revise those two models and not deliver FE and Premium in 2020??

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Yes, I don't see how any of this adds up since on the Ford website Rt 1 and Select moved the beginning of delivers up from 2021 to late 2020...???

Why would they revise those two models and not deliver FE and Premium in 2020??
I think this simply means that Ford has changed plans, after the FE are made Ford will now produce the Premium, Rt 1 and Select trims all at the same time. The prior plan must have been to do the FE and then shift to start with Premium only for a while for late 2020 deliveries, then later mix in the Rt 1 and Selects along with the Premium for early 2021 deliveries.

By changing the plan to produce all non-GT trims right after the FE that means it's possible to get some of the Premium, Rt 1 and Selects delivered by year end 2020 (depending on your reservation timestamp).

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
I think this simply means that Ford has changed plans, after the FE are made Ford will now produce the Premium, Rt 1 and Select trims all at the same time. The prior plan must have been to do the FE and then shift to start with Premium only for a while for late 2020 deliveries, then later mix in the Rt 1 and Selects along with the Premium for early 2021 deliveries.

By changing the plan to produce all non-GT trims right after the FE that means it's possible to get some of the Premium, Rt 1 and Selects delivered by year end 2020 (depending on your reservation timestamp).
Don't forget that orders from this side of the pond have yet to be thrown into the mix, whenever we get to convert. Only Ford know the REAL numbers that are ordered. It could be that there aren't as many sold units out there as we are led to believe.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don't forget that orders from this side of the pond have yet to be thrown into the mix, whenever we get to convert. Only Ford know the REAL numbers that are ordered. It could be that there aren't as many sold units out there as we are led to believe.
Yes, yes, you're right about the market mix. I was only speaking about the NA timing.

Though I wonder if Ford is pulling ahead production of the Select and Rt 1 for NA to make it easier to transition over to the European spec models?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One person reported end July for a demo unit according to their dealer.
If there's any truth to that at all, it's gotta be a preproduction unit retasked as a display model. I would think.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Could also mean that they'll mix in some Premium, Select, Rt1 before every single FE is manufactured? Perhaps to try and (roughly) honor reservation order (clearly many of those were reserved weeks before the last FE was reserved).

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could also mean that they'll mix in some Premium, Select, Rt1 before every single FE is manufactured? Perhaps to try and (roughly) honor reservation order (clearly many of those were reserved weeks before the last FE was reserved).
Speaking only of the NA market. I would doubt that. If you don't produce all of the NA First Editions first then what is the point of calling and marketing it as the FIRST Edition. That's also why I think the FE has the July 31st cut off to convert to an order. Those FE vehicles have to be placed into production sequence first.

Now if you mix in the European market then yes, I totally can see NA market Premium/Rt 1/Selects being made before the Europe FE. Once the European models start production I think they'll repeat the NA process and produce all of the European FE first, then the other models. So the European FE is still first to be produced for that market, just not the first globally.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hopeful that this indeed is the date for full scale mass production and as others have said maybe the trial runs will be before that for demo units, etc. to get the line Up to speed. Good news at least to see the calendar is getting out now.
That seems to be the biggest question (as there always seems to be with every announcement)... Does the 10/26 production start date include the demos or not? Figuring close to a month for units to roll off the line, queue up in the staging lot, and go through 3 or 4 stages of transport to get to dealer lots in the US, we're basically talking late Nov for the first units to show up. If there's 4000 demos in that post-10/26 mix, there ain't gonna be many customers getting one by the end of the year.

But if the demos are planned as the "ramp-up" units leading up to 10/26, that could mean maybe 5000 customer units delivered before New Years.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Speaking only of the NA market. I would doubt that. If you don't produce all of the NA First Editions first then what is the point of calling and marketing it as the FIRST Edition. That's also why I think the FE has the July 31st cut off to convert to an order. Those FE vehicles have to be placed into production sequence first.

Now if you mix in the European market then yes, I totally can see NA market Premium/Rt 1/Selects being made before the Europe FE. Once the European models start production I think they'll repeat the NA process and produce all of the European FE first, then the other models. So the European FE is still first to be produced for that market, just not the first globally.
I've always held open the possibility of FE being more of a marketing name than a pure production order. More of an "Early Special Edition" (but "First Edition" just sounds better, and more exclusive). I do expect all the FEs to be in the early batches though, just not exclusively so.

But that's just my speculation. I could be totally wrong. Either way though, I assume all the FEs will be finished within the first few months of production (whether there's other trims mixed in concurrently or not).

OdellBretthamJr

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, Mach E
Country flag
What is this plant going to do for the next nearly 4 months? I’m not going to pretend I know what goes into mass producing a car but I have trouble understanding why production won’t start until Halloween.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How many FEs are we talking about anyway? If it's only like 3000 worldwide (I thought I saw that number somewhere along the way), and if half of those are outside NA, that's only 1500. That could be barely over a week's worth of production. Many could still be sitting in the parking lot for transport by the time other trims are rolling off the line, mixing together during transport anyway.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I really like that Ford has this long ramp up so they can find all those production problems that will show up. I don’t want to buy a beta car.
Sponsored