Gas for emergency?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This is simply not necessary, the EV infrastructure is good enough where this is total overkill. Don't forget the mobile charger that every Mach-E comes with can help overcome this type of situation.

Finally, it's worth mentioning, in the event someone runs out of charge, the car isn't abandoned and written off by insurance, never to be seen again. If someone is well and truly screwed because they were relying on a charger working somewhere in the wilderness, and there is otherwise no electricity nearby if that charger was broken, they can always get a tow.

Just googling the price of one of those portable generators, it seems you can get multiple tows for the price of one portable generator, and never have to lug it and gas around.
Sponsored

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
Gas stations have 120 outlets. Just pack a 100’ heavy duty (12 awg) extension cord. I don’t know many people that carry a gas can around in their ICE cars, so if range anxiety is the issue, there are billions more outlets around than there are even gas stations. And you would get the same 2-3 miles per hour with the same mobile charger.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Hmmm. Lugging a generator and some explosive fuel in the place you are supposed to keep the chilled 🦐 shrimp and 🍗 chicken wings?

Jes sayin. Have we all gone mad?
Don’t invite me to any of your Frunk Buffet parties.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Gas for emergency? 49D6D362-2DDB-484B-9E3B-CCE5FB68DAE8
Hmmm. Lugging a generator and some explosive fuel in the place you are supposed to keep the chilled 🦐 shrimp and 🍗 chicken wings?

Jes sayin. Have we all gone mad?
Don’t invite me to any of your Frunk Buffet parties.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Plus, this is going to make his potential routes limited should he be in an area that requires tunnel travel since you can’t take gas in containers in those.

I fully agree with everyone here that a little preplanning and thoughtfulness will make this not a problem, but if he HAS to do something like this, there are a couple of one and two kWh battery-based “generators” (big backup batteries with charging ports in them) that would be easier to carry around, not smell, and be tunnel-legal. I don’t recommend this, of course, but I recommend it over breathing gasoline vapors in his electric car.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Agreed hauling gas in a generator isn't a great idea. What about mounting a roof rack with a Tesla Powerwall? They can hold 13.5kWh.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think generators need to be able to provide a minimum number of kW to be able to charge an EV battery. I'm not experienced with generators, but I have the impression that a generator powerful enough to charge an EV wouldn't be very portable. Anyone know?
Some EVs won't charge L2 below 8 amps. The MME does though. Not sure how low it will go but I have seen mine charge with only 6A available. That was 208v so 1.2 kW ish....

We have 240v generators on many of our fleet trucks. Some are portable, but yeah they are quite heavy. I have carried one in back of my car out to a jobsite because our guys needed a second one. It took two of use to load it in there. :)

It was one like this...
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc....G6JFYZRkVjg9V8HqrUekrPQztDgxsN_waArAEEALw_wcB

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
Gas stations have 120 outlets. Just pack a 100’ heavy duty (12 awg) extension cord. I don’t know many people that carry a gas can around in their ICE cars, so if range anxiety is the issue, there are billions more outlets around than there are even gas stations. And you would get the same 2-3 miles per hour with the same mobile charger.
this is what i do

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
A much safer/cleaner option would be a 1-2kWh battery bank that you could use with the Ford mobile charger at 120V to get you a few more miles down the road, however, they are pretty expensive and heavy for a couple more miles of range. However, you would be better off just hypermiling (i.e. driving slow) if you think you will be a few miles short of a charger as that would still get you to your destination a lot faster than sitting around trying to charge your car with a battery bank or generator on the side of the road.

https://www.jackery.com/products/explorer-1500-portable-power-station

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
One of my friends told me that he keeps a small/portable Honda generator (with tank of gas) in the car, in case the car runs out of juice completely. That maybe his paranoia, not lack of planning. I found the idea interesting as this gives an option to charge the car in such cases, just to get to the nearest charging station as needed.. your thoughts?
whats the downside in this?
I would say the downsides are as follows:

- extra weight
- gas fumes blowing car up
- being labeled a wacko (since you're not the person, it's not a personal attack on you)

A 120V charge will yield 3 miles of range an hour, tops.

Ford tows you for free to a charger.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
He said this is common in MI, WI and also in North East? I am from California..so not sure I will ever do this ;-)
LMAO. He's either pulling your leg, or he needs professional help. Michigan resident here.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Gas for emergency? 785F3C60-74E8-465C-91C0-B81EA256A916

The Predator is smallest inverter generator that you can charge at the cars max wattage (240v). Ryobi is the close to, but not the smallest to charge at 120v.

both are not the most handy thing to lug around. Lol

There’s definitely better options.

(disclaimer: I do not bring these with me on road trips.😂)

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
I just want to chime to agree with everyone else that this looks like a terrible idea. I'd rather carry a high quality extension cord and find an outlet if I was in the absolute worst case scenario.
Sponsored