Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Except:
  • No electricity means no gasoline either
  • My EV is plugged every night, it's fully charged when disruption hits
  • If I usually need to fill up once a week, a disruption could hit when the tank is empty
  • After an outage my EV is plugged in and ready to charge the very next second
  • When there is a disruption in gasoline supply is over, I still have to wait for the truck to deliver gasoline to the gas station, and then I have to drive there in order to refuel
  • Unless I signed up for some crazy scheme, the cost of electricity remains constant even during a disruption and I am not affected by a disruption thousands of miles away
  • There is a disruption on the other side of the world and gasoline prices start climbing
Show me a gas station with gas and diesel with no electricity and I’ll show you a commercial generator that can power that site.
the electrical disruption could hit just as you pull into your driveway at the end of a long road trip…

I love my Mach-E, but let’s not compare worst case scenarios in ICE vehicles to normal operations in BEVs to falsely inflate the superiority of our BEVs.
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Show me a gas station with gas and diesel with no electricity and I’ll show you a commercial generator that can power that site.
the electrical disruption could hit just as you pull into your driveway at the end of a long road trip…

I love my Mach-E, but let’s not compare worst case scenarios in ICE vehicles to normal operations in BEVs to falsely inflate the superiority of our BEVs.
There's a pretty major exception.
We all have the potential to be completely self-powered with electricity; that's not the case with gasoline.
I'm talking about home solar panels and battery backup.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Guess not.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Gasoline-powered cars more reliable? 6AE5D342-9C11-4A33-9017-4A1F6184D6E5
Sadly, this shortage didn't exist until people panicked because they thought there WOULD be a shortage, and so they started hoarding gasoline, which in turn CAUSED a shortage.
It's the same as the toilet paper crisis of a year ago.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Except that only helps if they buy that generator. Most of them do not. When the outage hits, a generator that they could have bought but did not is pretty useless.
I've been lucky and have never experienced a blackout longer than 12 hours. Yet I lived through several major disruption of gasoline supply. A couple of times they lasted for weeks. That's not even counting the times when an event on the other side of the globe caused sudden increase in gasoline prices.
Yes it could. But a gasoline disruption is almost guaranteed to hit when I have less than a full tank of gas. Again, if there a power outage and I pull into my driveway after a long road trip, I am screwed with EV or a gas car.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
There's a pretty major exception.
We all have the potential to be completely self-powered with electricity; that's not the case with gasoline.
I'm talking about home solar panels and battery backup.
I understand that, and agree. One of the advantages of EV’s is that we have the ability to make our own fuel. That said, most of us do not have our own renewable energy source.

Valkyrja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GTPE, Star White
Occupation
I hack things
Country flag
People are going to people. I lived in hurricane areas and got to see this played out every single time one was even predicted. Lived in areas that would be hit by massive snow storms and... same thing (it is all a conspiracy to sell more bread and milk at the convenience stores!).

I agree with others, this does make me want my GTPE sooner rather than later but in the grand scheme of the universe, it's all good.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag

Even then we could just get a generator to charge our cars.
I was here in Texas during the snow storm this year. My house never lost power but I know people who did. They ran into a real problem of getting gas as well. They ran out of gas in their cars that they were using for warmth, charging their phones and other things. Main worse by all the gas stations where closed because they had no power for their pumps and few that did had no fuel because no deliveries. Delivers shut down because both the roads and stations where they trucks would fill the tankers had no power.

Either way I think gas gets a lot harder for supply disruptions. In the past 5 years I have dealt with multiple supply disruptions in getting gas to a point it was a real struggle. I had to wonder could I even drive to work on Monday as I did not have enough gas to make a round trip and no way in hell was I going to risk going to the office if I could not make it home.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Even then we could just get a generator to charge our cars.
I was here in Texas during the snow storm this year. My house never lost power but I know people who did. They ran into a real problem of getting gas as well. They ran out of gas in their cars that they were using for warmth, charging their phones and other things. Main worse by all the gas stations where closed because they had no power for their pumps and few that did had no fuel because no deliveries. Delivers shut down because both the roads and stations where they trucks would fill the tankers had no power.

Either way I think gas gets a lot harder for supply disruptions. In the past 5 years I have dealt with multiple supply disruptions in getting gas to a point it was a real struggle. I had to wonder could I even drive to work on Monday as I did not have enough gas to make a round trip and no way in hell was I going to risk going to the office if I could not make it home.
I am not saying that a gasoline shortage isn’t a horrible thing. My original complaint was that the worst case for ICE was being compared to situation normal for BEVs, and that comparison is misleading At best.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
Natural gas, which is what most of us use here for heat, cooking and hot water heaters anyway since you're curious. Point being no gasoline, no problem. Sorry, I haven't set up my nuclear reactor yet...

Last edited:

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I've been through fuel shortages before, they can happen when a hurricane is approaching as people gear up to evacuate. Even though I don't live on the coast anymore there have been shortages in Central Texas as an approaching storm or national event causes panic buying because people read in the news about refineries on the coast being shut down. EVs are wonderful for these short term demand spikes caused by unnecessary panic buying and this scenario works out great for EV owners.

That said truth be told I really don't think I'd want to live in an area that sees mass evacuations due to hurricanes and have only an EVs to get out of town. Imagine the DCFC charging demand equal the above demand on top of 45 minute cycles instead of 5 minute cycles per vehicle. A charge could take hours. I've read enough stories about high demand at Tesla superchargers during holiday driving demand to know an evacuation would be a nightmare.

EVs have a lot of advantages but there are some scenarios where having an EV could be a disadvantage.
My generator can charge my car….
Man I hope I never have to try that.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Sadly, this shortage didn't exist until people panicked because they thought there WOULD be a shortage, and so they started hoarding gasoline, which in turn CAUSED a shortage.
It's the same as the toilet paper crisis of a year ago.
Check their hatches: I'll bet those SUVs are full of toilet paper, too!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag