IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag
I'll admit to being a partial idiot. So, please someone chime in on my question. Why hasn't a more refined Eco-friendly synthetic fuel been created to help reduce oil consumption? Why can't they enhance the "Magic Tank" Emergency Fuel and mass produce it? If we can get to Mars, why can't we use chemistry to produce synthetic fuel? I gotta know....

Ford Mustang Mach-E Gasoline Shortage Summer 2021 Magic Tank Emerg Fuel

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I'll admit to being a partial idiot. So, please someone chime in on my question. Why hasn't a more refined Eco-friendly synthetic fuel been created to help reduce oil consumption? Why can't they enhance the "Magic Tank" Emergency Fuel and mass produce it? If we can get to Mars, why can't we use chemistry to produce synthetic fuel? I gotta know....

Diesel. Australian tree sap..

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Virginia EV drivers pay $88 to register their cars to make up the difference. The gas registration is only $32.
The EV fee usually exists to pay the (rough) equivalent of gas tax for road funding, since EVs use roads too but don't fund them via gas tax like ICE vehicles do.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Probably cost. Gas is still one of the cheapest liquids you can buy on an equivalent volume basis.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep. That's always been annoying how it's been taken out of perspective. All manufacturing has that deduction. And all industries have various deductions that apply to their industry, just like individuals do to them.

NYT did a piece some years ago comparing EFFECTIVE tax rates among industries, which is the only real way to compare it on an apples-to-apples basis. Energy (mostly oil/gas) companies paid the 2nd highest average effective federal income tax rate in the US. 34%, IIRC.

Reactions: ARK

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
You realize that “big electricity” will see this so-called “gas shortage” as a great opportunity to jack up the price of electrons? First, they can stick it to the people stuck at home because they can’t afford liquified Dino. Second, they can stick it to all the sanctimonious electric car drivers ? win-win!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ney-and-cause-more-co2-emissions-vs-batteries

Study: Synthetic fuels cost more money and cause more CO2 emissions vs. batteries
avatar-image-for-stephed_100440631_s.jpg

STEPHEN EDELSTEIN MAY 4, 2021 27 COMMENTS
View Gallery

As buzz around synthetic fuels builds, the Europe-focused environmental group Transport & Environment (T&E) cautions that vehicles burning these supposedly greener fuels may cause more carbon-dioxide (CO2) emissions than battery-powered vehicles, and cost more as well.
That's the conclusion T&E voiced in a position paper asking regulators not to include synthetic fuels (sometimes referred to as "e-fuels") in the upcoming Euro 7 framework for emissions rules in the European Union.

As some automakers begin to experiment with the technology, T&E said synthetic fuels shouldn't qualify for emissions-reduction credits under future regulations, calling the environmental benefits of these fuels "a mirage."

tic-fuel-vehicles-europe-2030-te-paper_100790871_l.jpg
Emissions of battery-electric and synthetic-fuel vehicles Europe 2030 (T&E paper)

By 2030, an electric car charged from the electricity grid will produce 40% lower CO2 emissions than a gasoline car burning synthetic fuel, according to the paper. Furthermore, the amount of electricity used to power an EV is lower than the amount needed to produce synthetic fuel, so electric cars do better on emissions even with a dirtier grid mix than synthetic-fueled cars, the paper said.

Synthetic fuel will also be more expensive for both automakers and drivers, T&E said.
It would cost automakers an average 10,000 euros (about $12,000 at current exchange rates) in emissions credits to cover synthetic-fuel cars in 2030, but battery prices could drop to 3,000 euros ($3,600) by that time, according to the paper. It would also cost five times as much to set up synthetic-fueling infrastructure than continued expansion of charging infrastructure, the paper said.

tic-fuel-vehicles-europe-2030-te-paper_100790870_l.jpg
Total cost of ownership for battery-electric and synthetic fuel vehicles Europe 2030 (T&E paper)

For new and used cars in 2030, T&E estimated total cost of ownership for a synthetic-fueled car will be 43% higher than an electric car. In a separate opinion poll, the group also said almost two-thirds of urban residents support banning the sale of new gasoline and diesel cars in Europe after 2030.

The criticism comes as some automakers investigate synthetic fuels, albeit mostly for low-volume performance vehicles and motorsports. BMW invested in a company developing synthetic fuels, while a McLaren executive said last year that the company will build a synthetic-fuel prototype vehicle.

prometheus-or-gasoline_100710455_l.jpg
Prometheus or gasoline

Porsche is part of a contingent building a synthetic-fuel pilot plant in Chile, and is testing the fuel in race cars. Earlier this year, an executive said synthetic-fuel cars could be as clean as EVs, once emissions from manufacturing are factored in.

Despite its implication in the "Dieselgate" emissions standard, automotive supplier Bosch has also rallied interest around the idea of synthetic fuels. Lashing out against the proposed Euro 7 emissions rules, the company recently proclaimed that it will invest in combustion-engine tech into the 2040s.

Lilmags500

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E GT PERFORMANCE (ORDERED)
Occupation
Ford wholesale parts sales
Country flag
I want to pay less tax , not more . On anything for that matter , if you look at all the things we
we pay tax on its Ludacris .... I have 3 gas powered vehicles plus a motorcycle , I work for Ford
and like the Mach E and its features and am interested in a new to me concept .... I'm perfectly fine with gas burning vehicles and no fight in the "climate change" agenda . I think its great we have gas and now upcoming electric vehicles , I will have both . If I could have a gas powered microwave oven , I would .
Sponsored