General Motors to eliminate gasoline and diesel light-duty cars and SUVs by 2035

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...q40uwowiDIAPudwImbbwv-r-LynANuty_HS7zaRhBlbCw
General Motors to eliminate gasoline and diesel light-duty cars and SUVs by 2035
Big U.S. automaker says it will invest heavily in electric vehicles and become carbon neutral by 2040
Steven Mufson
PAR2TIS4CAI6XKCJN6KCHJ277U.jpg

A General Motors Co. (GM) Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicle (EV) charges outside of the company's Renaissance Center world headquarters complex in Detroit, Michigan, U.S., on Tuesday, June 12, 2018. The automaker says it will only produce electric powered cars and SUVs starting in 2035. (Jeff Kowalsky/Bloomberg)
General Motors said Thursday that it will end the sale of all gasoline and diesel powered passenger cars and light sports utility vehicles by 2035, marking an historic turning point for the iconic American automobile company and promising a future full of new electric vehicles for American motorists.

GM chief executive Mary Barra, who antagonized many climate experts by embracing President Donald Trump’s relaxation of fuel efficiency targets, said the company would eliminate all tailpipe emissions from light duty vehicles by that date. "As one of the world’s largest automakers, we hope to set an example of responsible leadership in a world that is faced with climate change,” she said on LinkedIn.

The carmaker will spend $27 billion on electric vehicles and associated products between 2020 and 2025, outstripping investment on conventional gasoline and diesel cars, GM has said. That figure includes refurbishing factories and investing in battery production in conjunction with LG Chem, a South Korean battery maker.
As part of its plan, GM will manufacture about 30 types of electric vehicles, about 20 of which would be for sale in the United States.

The company’s stock was up nearly 4 percent in late afternoon trading.

The move toward ending tailpipe emissions won’t affect medium and heavy duty trucks, but it will include everything from cars and crossovers to full-size SUVs, such as the light-duty Silverado and Yukon, a company spokeswoman said.

Fred Krupp, president of the Environmental Defense Fund, which had worked with GM on its plan, called it a “breakthrough moment.”
“And it’s part of a wave of industry action that reinforces what the Biden Administration is doing,” Krupp said.

President Biden on Wednesday detailed an ambitious far-reaching plan to transition the U.S. economy away from oil, gas and coal and toward solar, wind and other clean energy, saying the country must lead the global effort to cut the pollution that is driving climate change and speeding the planet toward environmental catastrophe. Among a series of actions, Biden signed an executive order that calls for the federal fleet of approximately 645,000 vehicles to be converted to electric power.

Biden’s plan “creates demand and drives down costs as privately owned fleets follow suit,” Krupp said.

But some critics said that GM still hadn’t publicly joined four other automakers that agreed to comply with California’s fuel efficiency standards, which are more stingent than the federal targets under Trump. The California settlement is an important benchmark in restarting negotiations between auto companies, the California Air Resources Board, and the Biden administration over cutting greenhouse gas emissions in the transport sector.

GM’s statement also left some wiggle room in continuing internal combustion engines, critics noted. The company did not rule out using carbon offsets or credits “if absolutely necessary” to reach its goal of eliminating tailpipe emissions. That means GM could invest in programs that remove carbon dioxide from the air, such as tree planting, and still sell some gasoline-powered vehicles.

And GM said that its plans for “decarbonizing and transitioning to 100 percent EVs” would take place “as supported by our commitment to setting science-based targets.”

Dan Becker, director of the Safe Climate Transport Campaign at the Center for Biological Diversity, said “given GM’s polluting track record, their promise to arrange some offsets for pollution” meant that the company’s plan was " just blue smoke and mirrors."
Others applauded GM’s move.

By pledging to go carbon neutral, “GM demonstrates that members of the auto industry are committed to tackling the global climate crisis and decarbonizing the transportation sector," said Rep. Debbie Dingell(D-Mich), who is a former GM executive and also served as president of the General Motors Foundation. "We have had discussions for months with the auto industry, labor unions, and the environmental community on concrete actions like this that must be taken to reach carbon neutrality.”

"Even as we celebrate this announcement, we need to keep our focus on creating jobs, confronting climate change, and the transformation of an innovative mobility industry,” Dingell said in a statement.

Paul Beldsoe, a former climate advisor in the Clinton White House, said GM is setting the tone for the U.S. manufacturing. "When America’s most iconic manufacturer commits to carbon neutrality that’s a huge signal to the rest of the economy,” said Bledsoe, who is now at the Progressive Policy Institute, said. “At the same time, it’s clear GM is trying to burnish its reputation from past practices and justify new tax incentives.”

This story is developing and will be updated.
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...q40uwowiDIAPudwImbbwv-r-LynANuty_HS7zaRhBlbCw
Big U.S. automaker says it will invest heavily in electric vehicles and become carbon neutral by 2040
Steven Mufson
Ford Mustang Mach-E General Motors to eliminate gasoline and diesel light-duty cars and SUVs by 2035 PAR2TIS4CAI6XKCJN6KCHJ277U

A General Motors Co. (GM) Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicle (EV) charges outside of the company's Renaissance Center world headquarters complex in Detroit, Michigan, U.S., on Tuesday, June 12, 2018. The automaker says it will only produce electric powered cars and SUVs starting in 2035. (Jeff Kowalsky/Bloomberg)
General Motors said Thursday that it will end the sale of all gasoline and diesel powered passenger cars and light sports utility vehicles by 2035, marking an historic turning point for the iconic American automobile company and promising a future full of new electric vehicles for American motorists.

GM chief executive Mary Barra, who antagonized many climate experts by embracing President Donald Trump’s relaxation of fuel efficiency targets, said the company would eliminate all tailpipe emissions from light duty vehicles by that date. "As one of the world’s largest automakers, we hope to set an example of responsible leadership in a world that is faced with climate change,” she said on LinkedIn.

The carmaker will spend $27 billion on electric vehicles and associated products between 2020 and 2025, outstripping investment on conventional gasoline and diesel cars, GM has said. That figure includes refurbishing factories and investing in battery production in conjunction with LG Chem, a South Korean battery maker.
As part of its plan, GM will manufacture about 30 types of electric vehicles, about 20 of which would be for sale in the United States.

The company’s stock was up nearly 4 percent in late afternoon trading.

The move toward ending tailpipe emissions won’t affect medium and heavy duty trucks, but it will include everything from cars and crossovers to full-size SUVs, such as the light-duty Silverado and Yukon, a company spokeswoman said.

Fred Krupp, president of the Environmental Defense Fund, which had worked with GM on its plan, called it a “breakthrough moment.”
“And it’s part of a wave of industry action that reinforces what the Biden Administration is doing,” Krupp said.

President Biden on Wednesday detailed an ambitious far-reaching plan to transition the U.S. economy away from oil, gas and coal and toward solar, wind and other clean energy, saying the country must lead the global effort to cut the pollution that is driving climate change and speeding the planet toward environmental catastrophe. Among a series of actions, Biden signed an executive order that calls for the federal fleet of approximately 645,000 vehicles to be converted to electric power.

Biden’s plan “creates demand and drives down costs as privately owned fleets follow suit,” Krupp said.

But some critics said that GM still hadn’t publicly joined four other automakers that agreed to comply with California’s fuel efficiency standards, which are more stingent than the federal targets under Trump. The California settlement is an important benchmark in restarting negotiations between auto companies, the California Air Resources Board, and the Biden administration over cutting greenhouse gas emissions in the transport sector.

GM’s statement also left some wiggle room in continuing internal combustion engines, critics noted. The company did not rule out using carbon offsets or credits “if absolutely necessary” to reach its goal of eliminating tailpipe emissions. That means GM could invest in programs that remove carbon dioxide from the air, such as tree planting, and still sell some gasoline-powered vehicles.

And GM said that its plans for “decarbonizing and transitioning to 100 percent EVs” would take place “as supported by our commitment to setting science-based targets.”

Dan Becker, director of the Safe Climate Transport Campaign at the Center for Biological Diversity, said “given GM’s polluting track record, their promise to arrange some offsets for pollution” meant that the company’s plan was " just blue smoke and mirrors."
Others applauded GM’s move.

By pledging to go carbon neutral, “GM demonstrates that members of the auto industry are committed to tackling the global climate crisis and decarbonizing the transportation sector," said Rep. Debbie Dingell(D-Mich), who is a former GM executive and also served as president of the General Motors Foundation. "We have had discussions for months with the auto industry, labor unions, and the environmental community on concrete actions like this that must be taken to reach carbon neutrality.”

"Even as we celebrate this announcement, we need to keep our focus on creating jobs, confronting climate change, and the transformation of an innovative mobility industry,” Dingell said in a statement.

Paul Beldsoe, a former climate advisor in the Clinton White House, said GM is setting the tone for the U.S. manufacturing. "When America’s most iconic manufacturer commits to carbon neutrality that’s a huge signal to the rest of the economy,” said Bledsoe, who is now at the Progressive Policy Institute, said. “At the same time, it’s clear GM is trying to burnish its reputation from past practices and justify new tax incentives.”

This story is developing and will be updated.
Oh now Gm thinks this is a good thing. lol

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Quebec government announced last Fall that, like other countries or states, it will ban the sale of gasoline vehicles by 2035.

I'm starting to plan my next truck purchases... My F150 is almost 3yrs old, so I'm looking ahead. 2035, that's 14yrs off...

I might have to buy another light truck, but for sure in 2034, I'm buying myself a new one... which i'll keep for a long time (maybe even a diesel engine, as they announced that the ban will not affect industrial/commercial trucks and well that means diesel will be around for a while!!!). I doubt that we will have by 2035 vehicles that will be able to haul/tow reasonable amounts of weight with a reasonably good range....

But would love to be proven wrong!!!

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I doubt that we will have by 2035 vehicles that will be able to haul/tow reasonable amounts of weight with a reasonably good range....

I dunno, electric vehicles are improving by leaps and bounds right now, sort of like smartphones a decade ago. I think by 2035, these bans will be mostly moot because EVs will probably be so much better than ICE across the board that people wouldn’t want new ICE vehicles except for niche buyers.

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
I don’t know. I’m all on board with electric vehicles. I’ve had a Volt for many years and, of coarse, I’ve got a MME on order. But I’m a little concerned about the environmental impact of producing all of those batteries. It‘s my understanding that lithium mining is a very destructive process. And then there are all of the rare earth metals in there as well. We just need to be mindful of those costs when thinking about the overall environmental impact.

And on a related note, does anybody have a read on lithium battery recycling?

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Oh now Gm thinks this is a good thing. lol
Yeah. Barra flip flopped more than a pancake. I expected better from the company that gave us the Volt and Bolt, and in some ways did more for EVs than Tesla.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yeah. Barra flip flopped more than a pancake. I expected better from the company that gave us the Volt and Bolt, and in some ways did more for EVs than Tesla.
She will flip right back if the political winds blow the other way between now and 2035...

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I don’t know. I’m all on board with electric vehicles. I’ve had a Volt for many years and, of coarse, I’ve got a MME on order. But I’m a little concerned about the environmental impact of producing all of those batteries. It‘s my understanding that lithium mining is a very destructive process. And then there are all of the rare earth metals in there as well. We just need to be mindful of those costs when thinking about the overall environmental impact.

And on a related note, does anybody have a read on lithium battery recycling?
Even with no recycling, lithium mine is not nearly as destructive as extracting, refining, shipping, and burning fossil fuels. There are numerous lithium recycling plants more, especially in Europe and they are getting better at it all the time.

Reactions: ARK

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Quebec government announced last Fall that, like other countries or states, it will ban the sale of gasoline vehicles by 2035.

I'm starting to plan my next truck purchases... My F150 is almost 3yrs old, so I'm looking ahead. 2035, that's 14yrs off...

I might have to buy another light truck, but for sure in 2034, I'm buying myself a new one... which i'll keep for a long time (maybe even a diesel engine, as they announced that the ban will not affect industrial/commercial trucks and well that means diesel will be around for a while!!!). I doubt that we will have by 2035 vehicles that will be able to haul/tow reasonable amounts of weight with a reasonably good range....

Buy the hybrid F-150 now then upgrade to the electric model by 2035 or later.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
If this happens, electrical generation in the US is predicted to need to increase by 30%.

https://theconversation.com/switchi...e-us-billions-but-timing-is-everything-106227
Most utilities have surplus power, especially at night. They will love to know who is going to electric and offer a better rate. Some present EV owners are doing that now, getting their charges at night. There is no need to increase generating now, but instead we need replacements for fuel driven generation.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
And before the Volt, GM gave us the Impact/EV1 and electric S-10 pickups.