First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Country flag
Hello!

My Mach E has arrived to the dealer. There is a slight defect that they are fixing at the dealer for the charging port.

I will need to soon prep my garage for the 240v charger. I do have an old outlet 10-30 outlet (picture #1) that is now available that used to be for a dryer machine. I know nothing about electrical, I assume this is a 240v outlet. I know that the Mach E comes with a 14-50 outlet (picture #2) per link.

Picture #1: 10-30 (my outlet in my garage)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Getting garage charger ready to receive my Mach E 1618810772182

Ford Mustang Mach-E Getting garage charger ready to receive my Mach E 1618811157170

Picture #2 14-50 (adapter that comes with the Mach E)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Getting garage charger ready to receive my Mach E 1618810874462

Can I reuse my available outlet? I know Tesla sells outlet adapter for different outlets, view link.
I dont think Ford sells different adapter. Hence, my second question is, is it save to just get one of the adapter converter that will allow me to plug a 14-50 into my 10-30 outlet? Thank you!!!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Getting garage charger ready to receive my Mach E 1618811274800

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
What’s is the slight defect they are fixing?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Unfortunately, no. Your current circuit is 30A, which means your max charging rate on that outlet is 24A. But there’s currently no way to set the MME or its included EVSE to 24A, so it will try to draw too much power and trip the breaker for that circuit. You could get a 3rd party EVSE with a 10-30 plug that’s limited to 24A.

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
Yep, what @generaltso said. I would personally recommend just keeping the included charger in the car to travel with you, and get a new EVSE for your garage. You could get one that uses your existing 30 amp plug, or rewire a new plug and circuit that can handle a 50 amp capable model.

I have an older NEMA 5-20 plug (20 amp circuit) installed in 2011 when I got my Volt (which only had a 15 amp EVSE). It’s worked fine with two Volts and an i3, and it works just fine with the Mach-E, too, but it only adds 10 miles of range per hour. With the much longer range, I find my self thinking in the long term I will want to replace it with a more powerful circuit/EVSE, but I’m making it work for now.

OP
OP

rogerq23

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Country flag
What’s is the slight defect they are fixing?
They couldn’t charge the car when they were getting it ready because the charge port is defective. They got Ford to send parts and then take the car for service. I just wonder about untrained dealer service department changing a charging port for the first time.

OP
OP

rogerq23

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Country flag
Unfortunately, no. Your current circuit is 30A, which means your max charging rate on that outlet is 24A. But there’s currently no way to set the MME or its included EVSE to 24A, so it will try to draw too much power and trip the breaker for that circuit. You could get a 3rd party EVSE with a 10-30 plug that’s limited to 24A.
thank you for your input. I think I understood what you said. Lol
If I get another EVSE, for limited to 24A it means it will charge slower right?
So do you advice just changing the outlet? If I change the outlet. Is just the outlet change or electrical work needs to be redone....

I mean the only knowledge I have is that the it seems to fit. Haha the rest of the electrical stuff. I’m unsure. :p

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
thank you for your input. I think I understood what you said. Lol
If I get another EVSE, for limited to 24A it means it will charge slower right?
So do you advice just changing the outlet? If I change the outlet. Is just the outlet change or electrical work needs to be redone....
Yes, it will charge slower at 24A (5.7kW), but it may be sufficient for your needs. The wiring going to the existing outlet is probably not large enough to support a 14-50 outlet, so swapping the outlet likely means a whole new run from your panel. That might not be a big deal if your panel isn't far.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This is the spec sheet from ford. BTW, I had a new built garage 2007,, we had a panel put in. So it was a 45 minute process to put the 14-50 plug in with a 50 amp fuse. Depending on the age of your garage will determine cost to add charging capability. 30 amp breaker won't be sufficient to charge at a faster rate. https://www.ford.com/ntzlibs/conten...-sheet/Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL.pdf my 2 cents I don't think it's a good idea to try to reuse or use an adapter to use the existing plug. You can go with the 120v plug ( a regular outlet) it charges at a rate of 3 mph. Or go with the 14-50 NEMA which charges at 20 mph but requires a 50 amp breaker

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I can speak to this some, as it is what I encountered initially. I had a 240V 30amp socket in my garage for my air compressor. I was waiting on my electrician to install a 14-50 outlet.
The included charger, even with an adapter, will pull too much power and trip your 30 amp breaker. You cannot overcome this by just changing the outlet. The breaker will still trip. You cannot overcome this by switching the breaker. That circuit has 30 amp wiring. Pulling more amps will overheat the wire and burn down your garage with your car in it.
What I did was to get a scalable/adjustable EVSE. In my case the Grizzl-E. I set it to 24 amps (always use only 80% of the rated circuit amperage to prevent overheating). THEN I could use the adapter and plug into my air compressor outlet. It was a little slow, but way faster than using 110 power.
Later when my electrician got around to installing a new 40 amp circuit on a NEMA 14-50 outlet, I simply reset my Grizzl-E to pull 32 amps (33% faster charging). Incidentally, I had the electrician use wire rated for a 50 amp circuit in case, in the future, I can get my garage on a larger feeder wire. Then I can switch the breaker to 50 amps and set the EVSE to 40 amps (80% of wire rating), and get even 25% faster still.
Grizzl-E is not the only adjustable EVSE out there. Quite a few allow you to change the amperage of the draw.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
my suggestion is that you are buying a 50K car so don't short cut buy mixing and matching. Get an electrician to put in the correct plug/wire/breaker in for the purpose

OP
OP

rogerq23

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Country flag
Yes, it will charge slower at 24A (5.7kW), but it may be sufficient for your needs. The wiring going to the existing outlet is probably not large enough to support a 14-50 outlet, so swapping the outlet likely means a whole new run from your panel. That might not be a big deal if your panel isn't far.
Ah Okay! That answers my questions. Actually, I have a daily commute of minimum 110 miles back and forth from work, if I don’t go anywhere else in between.

Also my breaker box/panel is in the diagonally opposite to where my garage is. House is built back in 1965. ?

Jack Roberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
Hello!

My Mach E has arrived to the dealer. There is a slight defect that they are fixing at the dealer for the charging port.

I will need to soon prep my garage for the 240v charger. I do have an old outlet 10-30 outlet (picture #1) that is now available that used to be for a dryer machine. I know nothing about electrical, I assume this is a 240v outlet. I know that the Mach E comes with a 14-50 outlet (picture #2) per link.

Picture #1: 10-30 (my outlet in my garage)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Getting garage charger ready to receive my Mach E 1618811274800

Picture #2 14-50 (adapter that comes with the Mach E)

Can I reuse my available outlet? I know Tesla sells outlet adapter for different outlets, view link.
I dont think Ford sells different adapter. Hence, my second question is, is it save to just get one of the adapter converter that will allow me to plug a 14-50 into my 10-30 outlet? Thank you!!!
I had a similar situation. I had an old dryer circuit and got an electrician to run wiring from my panel to my garage and replace the breaker with a 40 amp and install the plug. I am going to use a nice ox charger that will be here on the 9th.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Just so you don't feel bad, my house is older (build around 1900) and doesn't have a garage, so my EVSE is going to have to be exterior mounted. I am having an electrician run a 100A circuit to future proof for the Lightning I have reserved and it's associated 80A EVSE. Hiring an electrician because I don't trust myself with surface mounting conduit that looks nice and also to confirm that I don't need a larger main electrical service (currently 150A).

TheCats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y5Z
Country flag
Just so you don't feel bad, my house is older (build around 1900) and doesn't have a garage, so my EVSE is going to have to be exterior mounted. I am having an electrician run a 100A circuit to future proof for the Lightning I have reserved and it's associated 80A EVSE. Hiring an electrician because I don't trust myself with surface mounting conduit that looks nice and also to confirm that I don't need a larger main electrical service (currently 150A).
It's almost certain that you'll need a service upgrade to properly add a 100A circuit to 150A residential service. That might involve replacing the main panel ("heavy up").

Be prepared to compromise with lower current charging. It's likely that you'll find it sufficient.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
It's almost certain that you'll need a service upgrade to properly add a 100A circuit to 150A residential service. That might involve replacing the main panel ("heavy up").

Be prepared to compromise with lower current charging. It's likely that you'll find it sufficient.
I know I am on the edge for the panel. The good news is that I have natural gas heat and hot water, so the only other major draw is my electric dryer. We use window A/C units so no separate circuit for that - just standard outlets. I have mapped my max draw over a year and I should be OK - max draw is currently under 40A (closer to 30 actually with all A/Cs going and the dryer). With the 80% safety factor that leaves me with 100A free for the EVSE circuit. That said, I am not an electrician or electrical engineer so I am not 100% up on residential electrical code requirements.

I could certainly live with lower current charging (and our Mach-e won't be able to take advantage of that charging rate anyways), but I want the system for the whole home power backup being offered with the Lightning. That setup requires the 80A Charge station pro - which comes free with Extended range models. If I have to upgrade my service and panel to a 200A unit to handle that, I am prepared to.
Sponsored