Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
WHY YOU MIGHT WANT AN ADAPTOR:

I recently went on a long out-and-back day trip, and really wanted to grab a charge over lunchtime as I was about 45 miles from home and my guess was I'd be pretty much empty... Unfortunately there were NO J1722 chargers within 50 miles, but there were some Tesla chargers just off the Highway on the way home. I couldn't get a charge there because I did not have an adaptor. I arrived home with only 2% left in the batts, which was much closer shave than I wanted.

Got me thinking that if I want to be prepared for road-trips that might not have non-Tesla stations, I'd be well advised to get a Tesla-to-J1772 adaptor and keep it in the car.

Turns out that there is no adaptor available for the Tesla Supercharger dcdc to our dcdc fast charge ports yet.... only the level 2 Tesla 'Destination' charger to J1722. These 'Destination' chargers are sometimes available at roadside Hotels/motels and other locations that may not have installed CSS yet.

I also found at least two popular brands are Lectron and TeslaTap.... Tesla->1722 adaptors available in 40, 50, 60, and 80amp. Our MME on board charge can only swallow up to 48amps, so the 50 or 60 amp adaptors are a good fit. I spoke to the Owner/developer of the TeslaTap for a while, and want to reiterate that while the 50amp version will work for the Mach-e, it should not be used for more than a couple hours since it will heat up a bit. The 60amp 'Mini' is highly recommended as best fit for the Mach-e.

I've done a little more reading, and tried to gather some of the more important info in one place here in the top Post to save Members some time:

1. can our MME take advantage of the 50amp + versions? There seems to be a pretty hefty price difference moving up to 80amp versions, so I'd want to be sure the MME can accept it.

ANSWER: MME can accept up to 48 amps at 240vAC as best I can tell, so it's advisable to get at least 50amp rated adaptor, and better to go for 60a rated units as they will have heavier duty wiring, and not get hot after a couple hours use.... no real reason to pay extra for 80amp since the MME can only swallow 48amps.

*** recommended for MME *** 60amp TeslaTap-Mini $260+tax/shipping from mfg - http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=146

2. any strong reviews/recommendations to go with Lectron vs TeslaTap? or some other brand at better price ?

ANSWER: Unofficial poll from replies are that the TeslaTap design/quality seems to be preferred over Lectron or chinese knock-offs.

3. any advise on what you need to do to set up an appropriate account to USE the Tesla destination charger stations if you don't have a Tesla? Or do you just swipe a credit card, or what?

ANSWERs:
The Tesla Superchargers (fast dcdc) are NOT an Option for non-Tesla at this point, but MAY become available with special adaptor at some point in the future.
The Tesla 'Destination' chargers versions 1,2 do not restrict use, and are likely to be 'free' once you have an adaptor. The newest v.3 ones may be networked and restricted/billed to Tesla owners only.

4. what online trip planners are people using when researching a route, or looking for nearest charge while en route?

Answer(s): @ChasingCoral posted a very nice summary which I have plagerized heavily and we can use as a basis for discussion.... and edit as we go

----------------------- trip planning, and finding chargers --------------
For pre-planning road trips, the best bets are :​
FordPass app - FordPass is great if you only have one destination. Otherwise, you have to break the trip up into legs.​
ABetterRoutePlanner.com - is good at route planning, but doesn't do as well at estimating range, so it may give you more stops than you actually need. You can fix that by monkeying with the efficiency and weight.​
Plugshare.com - has details and current status of stations as people stopping to charge update with the reviews and experience. The trip planner has a pretty easy way to set your desired charge stop distance, which can be modified to 'look' xx miles off the shortest route. Super handy when routing thru rural areas where a small detour to a bigger town may allow a fast charge midway rather than a slow charge directly on your shortest route.​
Maps.Goole.com - you have to dig around to turn on the filters to show 'charging station' and/or 'Tesla Destination' ... but it works to find stations nearby if you are en route and looking for a charge and want to see other info like resturants, etc.​
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You only need to do one thing to finish your research: Search the Forum for threads with TeslaTap in the title.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Getting the right Tesla to J1722 adapter for trips search

This one has been asked and answered repeatedly, so I recommend you start with that easiest result with lots of replies.

To be safe get at least a TeslaTap 50, the destination chargers you can use will be free.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
You only need to do one thing to finish your research: Search the Forum for threads with TeslaTap in the title.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Getting the right Tesla to J1722 adapter for trips search

This one has been asked and answered repeatedly, so I recommend you start with that easiest result with lots of replies.

To be safe get at least a TeslaTap 50, the destination chargers you can use will be free.

I did search around a while... and there are a couple threads on the topic, but I was having to go thru the entire thread to get my specifics answered. I still don't understand what has to be done to set up and account so I can actually use the 'public' Tesla charge stations that might be next to the highway.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I did search around a while... and there are a couple threads on the topic, but I was having to go thru the entire thread to get my specifics answered. I still don't understand what has to be done to set up and account so I can actually use the 'public' Tesla charge stations that might be next to the highway.
The Tesla Superchargers (the ones you find in a group on the side of a highway) cannot be used by the Mach-E at this time, no adapter exists and Tesla does not allow it (but has hinted it may change in the future). The adapters you mentioned work with Tesla destination chargers, i.e., the type of chargers you might see at a hotel, or with a Tesla wall charger, i.e. what a Tesla owner might put in their driveway.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That’s because there is no account to set up. Destination chargers are either:
  • Free for everyone or
  • Free to Tesla vehicles only

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The Tesla Superchargers (the ones you find in a group on the side of a highway) cannot be used by the Mach-E at this time, no adapter exists and Tesla does not allow it (but has hinted it may change in the future). The adapters you mentioned work with Tesla destination chargers, i.e., the type of chargers you might see at a hotel, or with a Tesla wall charger, i.e. what a Tesla owner might put in their driveway.

right....
I've added this info in the OP

The stations I'd like to get access to are not likely to be the Superchargers.... but the hotel version semi-public Desination chargers I'll be likely to find OFF the interstate. Makes sense since Hotels and residential Electrical Services are unlikely to have service panels able to allocate more than a 50 amp circuit for charging.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
That’s because there is no account to set up. Destination chargers are either:
  • Free for everyone or
  • Free to Tesla vehicles only
oooohhhhh, how can you tell the difference if you just drive up and look at them? Does it usually say if you 'search' online in a trip planner? It would be a nasty surprise to count on a charge, and find out it was truly Tesla-only.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
2. any strong reviews/recommendations to go with Lectron vs TeslaTap? or some other brand at better price ?

ANSWER: pending reviews from ya'll
ANSWER: pending
When we last discussed this, Lectron only had 40A adapters. I don’t know of anyone who has tried the new, higher amperage Lectron model.

You read through the earlier discussion thread, you’ll find a big difference between Tesla Tap and Lectron: the former is made by a small business you can call and who over-builds and over-tests his products.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
oooohhhhh, how can you tell the difference if you just drive up and look at them? Does it usually say if you 'search' online in a trip planner? It would be a nasty surprise to count on a charge, and find out it was truly Tesla-only.
Check Plug Share. See if anyone driving a J-1772 car has charged there.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It's only the newest Gen 3 Tesla destination chargers that can be restricted to only allow Teslas, and I don't believe that function is even enabled yet. You should be fine using any Tesla Level 2 destination charger that you come across for now, though that may not always be the case in the future. Get yourself a TeslaTap rated for at least 50A and call it a day.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Spoke with TESLA TAP in April regarding amp draw. He said 50 amp would work for limted charging as plug would get hot. Might eventually burn.
He recommend 60 amp for longevity.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Spoke with TESLA TAP in April regarding amp draw. He said 50 amp would work for limted charging as plug would get hot. Might eventually burn.
He recommend 60 amp for longevity.
I've become convinced that the TeslaTap 50A is okay for the MME.

The MME's 48A onboard charger is limited to 48A x 220v (10.5kW) while the TeslaTap is rated for 50A x 250v (12.5kW). That should be enough of a margin.

edit: it's 240v, not 250.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

The MME's 48A onboard charger is limited to 48A x 220v (10.5kW) while the TeslaTap is rated for 50A x 250v (12.5kW). That should be enough of a margin.
So anyone who installs a 60 amp home charger will only charge at 48 amps? I have seen others post about installing chargers that supply more than 48 amps, but did not realize the car was limited to 48 amps. I just installed a 48 amp charger, so no issues for me personally.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

50A is not enough margin for sustained charging i.e. charging over night at a hotel. The 50A rating is for instantaneous peak load rating. It would be ok for an hour or two max then begin to overheat. 48A sustained current (more than 2-3hrs is considered sustained) would require 20% margin on the adaptor or at least 57.6A rating .. which means you need the 60A unless you want a huge repair bill for your MME and the hotel/destination charger provider!

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So anyone who installs a 60 amp home charger will only charge at 48 amps? I have seen others post about installing chargers that supply more than 48 amps, but did not realize the car was limited to 48 amps. I just installed a 48 amp charger, so no issues for me personally.
Yeah, the MME can do 10.5kW (48A x 220v) which is sort of unusual since most 48A onboard chargers can do the full 240v for 11.5kW.

I should probably dial my dip switch on my Tesla HPWC down to 40A from 48A but so far it hasn't been necessary for my 50A TeslaTap.
Sponsored