Getting the right Tesla to J1722 adapter for trips

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The reason I would go to 80 amp if I did purchase one is not for now but the future and other EVs that I or my wife might purchase. In two or three years we are probably going to see many changes and faster recharge is going to be one them and the 80 amp might be helpful.
By the same token, in a few years chargers might be so common that there wouldn’t be an issue finding one and no need to seek out a Tesla charger.
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
In a fairly short time, free chargers are going to be so clogged that we'll not be able to count on using them - and shouldn't.

By then though, there will be more fast chargers available and overall range will improve in next gen cars so it won't matter.
I have already noticed in my area in the year or so I have been paying attention to where the free chargers are located that they have been getting converted to pay stations. As EVs have become more common, some of those free chargers are plugged in literally 70%+ of all time, that must not be cheap for the owner.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Most 220V installations are going to be 50A. The cost of installing more than that is a big step up. So, in that case the EVSE will tell the car to charge at 40A. All vehicles that charge at 80A use dual 40A chargers. The 50A adapter is adequate, but I would take the 60A if it was physically smaller.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
By the same token, in a few years chargers might be so common that there wouldn’t be an issue finding one and no need to seek out a Tesla charger.
could be true but sometime better to be safe, but I have been to several hotels that on,y have Tesla, at least for the moment

Reactions: ARK

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
could be true but sometime better to be safe, but I have been to several hotels that only have Tesla, at least for the moment
Tesla was first and the Hotels installed their EVSEs. Now they don't see why they should change.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
So, if one has a Lightning reservation and wants to maximize their charging options or speed, purchasing the 80A Tesla Tap might be the way to go, yes?
I don’t know if there are any Tesla destination chargers that put out 80amps, but if you are charging at 80amps, which I think is the F150 Lightning’s max L2 charge rate, the wiring needs to be rated for 100amps, and I don’t know if a 100amp Tesla Tap exists (or again if there is such a thing as a Tesla destination charger putting out 80amps).

It’s the same principle on this thread as with the Mach-E discussion of charging at 48amps requiring the 60amp Tesla Tap to be safe. Your extended charging should be at up to no more than 80% of what the wiring is rated for, and so 80% of 100amps is 80amps.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have already noticed in my area in the year or so I have been paying attention to where the free chargers are located that they have been getting converted to pay stations. As EVs have become more common, some of those free chargers are plugged in literally 70%+ of all time, that must not be cheap for the owner.
I agree 100%. Which is why I want to increase my odds of being able to get a charge by carrying the adapter. I may never need it, so I get why others would not buy it. It is like insurance: used rarely, but when you do need it, you really appreciate having it.

Here is another example. We are going to the beach in a week you can be sure I am taking my awesome car. The Outer Banks has a Tesla Supercharging station, but there are no fast chargers for non-Tesla owners. I know I cannot use the TeslaTap on the Supercharger, but when I go out for lunch and a couple beers, I will have three plug options to choose from. If two are occupied, I will still be able to add a few miles while I hang out and enjoy life. ;-)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Getting the right Tesla to J1722 adapter for trips 1638124292223

Last edited:

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
My wife an I keep a long-distance go-bag in the garage in addition to a spare, jack and lug wrench.

In the bag: reflectors, shop towels, Tesla tap, etc.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So, if one has a Lightning reservation and wants to maximize their charging options or speed, purchasing the 80A Tesla Tap might be the way to go, yes?
The Lightning with the extended range battery comes with the 80A Ford Pro Charger Station. That EVSE is required to have the truck power your home in case of a power outage. You don’t get that benefit using the Tesla Gen3 charger.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Tesla was first and the Hotels installed their EVSEs. Now they don't see why they should change.
Tesla provides their destination chargers free to qualifying applicant businesses.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I agree 100%. Which is why I want to increase my odds of being able to get a charge by carrying the adapter. I may never need it, so I get why others would not buy it. It is like insurance: used rarely, but when you do need it, you really appreciate having it.

Here is another example. We are going to the beach in a week you can be sure I am taking my awesome car. The Outer Banks has a Tesla Supercharging station, but there are no fast chargers for non-Tesla owners. I know I cannot use the TeslaTap on the Supercharger, but when I go out for lunch and a couple beers, I will have three plug options to choose from. If two are occupied, I will still be able to add a few miles while I hang out and enjoy life. ;-)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Getting the right Tesla to J1722 adapter for trips 1638124292223
Perfect application.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah there is no point in trying to defend the adapter, it's an insurance item like many others. You won't need it until you do, because the hotel has two plugs and the J1772 is in use and not by a hotel employee, and the Tesla is the only one open. Or the J1772 is broken, or who knows. Not having a situation where it is needed yet doesn't mean it won't be useful in the future, and maybe at a critical time too. I haven't needed my snatch recovery strap in the last few years, but if myself or a friend/family member were stuck I will sure be glad it's in the truck.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Yeah there is no point in trying to defend the adapter, it's an insurance item like many others. You won't need it until you do, because the hotel has two plugs and the J1772 is in use and not by a hotel employee, and the Tesla is the only one open. Or the J1772 is broken, or who knows. Not having a situation where it is needed yet doesn't mean it won't be useful in the future, and maybe at a critical time too. I haven't needed my snatch recovery strap in the last few years, but if myself or a friend/family member were stuck I will sure be glad it's in the truck.
I am looking forward to using it while drinking beers at the beach! You know, I think if all three chargers are available, I will still use a Tesla one just because. Just because I have the adapter, and well, that means one less Tesla can charge. And that is good, very good.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Or maybe your wall charger is a Tesla.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Getting the right Tesla to J1722 adapter for trips PXL_20211129_031908611

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
My local airport has 6 J1772 charging stations and 6 Tesla charging stations. I was there yesterday, and all J1772 stations were full and 2 Tesla stations were available. I was glad to have the Tesla Tap Mini (60A).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Getting the right Tesla to J1722 adapter for trips 1638733979862
Sponsored