MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I want to start out with a positive. I think the Sto-N-Sho is a very well-engineered bracket. It mounts without any issues; no drilling and the quality of the product is great. I did not have any issues with the sensors. Recommended, with a caveat.

There are two areas that made me change my mind and remove it from the car. The very thing that makes it easy and non-destructive mounting, is also an issue. The single bolt and just 3M tape, results in it not having a solid mount. If the tape come loose, it tends to wobble on the single bolt. Not a deal breaker for me since I just drilled two more support hole and mounted it on the underside of the front spoiler. Not worried about two small holes.

The biggest disadvantage is that is it is lower than the front spoiler. I try not to have the spoiler come close to the parking stops or curbs, but it is and will happen. Some on the forum may be exception drivers and do not get their front end close to curbs, I have not had that skill or luck. The first time was a minor issue, and I bent the front plate. The second time bent the bracket and plate and the whole thing was just hanging down (not drivable). Below is what happens when a 3-ton car pins the plate and bracket on top of a curb and then drags it across it, as the car backs up. I can fix this, but it is going to happen again, and I do not want it to take place when my wife is driving the car. I was there and I had to take the bracket off in a parking lot.

I knew ahead of time, when I ordered the bracket, that it was lower than the spoiler. My fault and I took the risk. The had vinyl as a backup plan. I was optimistic. I just ordered the vinyl license plate, since it is legal here in CA. I think the real plate looks much better than the vinyl. I will look at Craig's bracket and the EOS but the wife says the look ugly and she keeps hitting the plate when she walks by (small and tight garage).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Giving up on Sto-N-Sho and going with vinyl wrap license plate 1657299640164

1657299633430.png

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Bummer. I like mine and the exposed vinyl will tear from road debris. I put a plastic cover over my front plate and it already has a huge crack from a rock or something. If that hit the vinyl, it would be a gash in the plate. So exposed vinyl does not work for me.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony2022

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bummer. I like mine and the exposed vinyl will tear from road debris. I put a plastic cover over my front plate and it already has a huge crack from a rock or something. If that hit the vinyl, it would be a gash in the plate. So exposed vinyl does not work for me.
Oh, I will think about putting on some form of PPF over the vinyl plate.

jjhenry

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT, '69 Chevy C20, '99 Rodeo, '09 Vespa
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ha, I made the same decision. I just received the vinyl plate a couple days ago. The Sto-N-Show was just catching too much on dips and parking blocks.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I encourage you to try not having a front plate at all. Depending on your usual stomping grounds, it might not be an issue with local parking enforcement. If you get some low value ticket once in a blue moon, my thought is no big deal since there is a gain in appearance with no front license plate, particularly for the GTs.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have been using my Sto-n-sho since November and I have not damaged it. I know it means you have to be careful when pulling up to a curb, but the GT is low anyway and really we are only talking about another inch. If you are hitting the curb with the license plate bracket, you will eventually hit a curb with your car. I pay special attention to the parking beeps, and when they go solid, I stop. It is very reliable.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony2022

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hit a small snag. I purchased a vinyl plate for my current plate. The thought was to use this until I get my customer black plate. However, the company that does the vinyl plates of course coordinates with the CA DMV. While the DMV is processing my special plate, they list it as a transaction in process. I cannot get a vinyl plate until my special has been completed. The DMV is backlogged on special plates with an estimated completion in 7 to 8 months. I have my vinyl plate order on hold and will get it when I get my special plate.

Since I am a law abiding citizen who frequents the carpool lane, with the CA CHP always present, I am going to put my hard plate back on. I order a Craig's bracket to mount. I got it last night and put it on the car, with some modification. I sure the 3M double sided tape will be fine but I do not trust glue enough to risk losing my plate and going through the hassle of getting a new one from the DMV. Reminds me of the old commercial with the guy hanging from the steel beam using super glue. Yeh, but not for me. I drilled two small holes in the aluminum mounting bracket. I put it in place using tape and then drilled holes through the underside of the bumper. Cannot really be seen since it under the bumper, unless you crawl under the car. If I remove the bracket for the vinyl plate, not too worried about the holes. I may just leave the bracket in place. I ensured that the holes were aligned, stuck the bracket to the underside of the bumper (per the instructions) and inserted the small bolts. I found that you can get to the top of the bolts by removing the frunk. There is a small opening in the front to allow some access. I used a long socket extension and socket to install a lock nut in place. Used a bit of tap shoved into socket to capture the nut and ensure it did not come out. The rest was simply installing the nut and tightening down the fasteners. In place, held with two bolts and 3M double sided tape. Will do until I get my vinyl plate. So far, it does not interfere with the front sensors and it will not be dragging on the curb or parking spots. Oh, I did try to straighten my other brack and us it with some modification. Well, it was quite bent and it was going to take me far longer to try to modify it then simply buying something specifically made for mounting in this location. It is either time or money.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Giving up on Sto-N-Sho and going with vinyl wrap license plate 1658507603884

GT_order_#1001

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Shadow Black GT MME, 2013 Pearl Chevy Volt
Occupation
Civil-Enviro Engineer
Country flag
The only issue I have my Sho-N-Sto is the 3M getting soft and stretchy in 90+ degrees which allows the bracket to rotate left/right. I've removed the plate for the summer and will accept a small ticket if caught. The plate's in the rear floor and I'll claim "I forget to reinstall after washing this past weekend" in hopes of sidestepping the ticket. The GT looks much better without a plate.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony2022

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The only issue I have my Sho-N-Sto is the 3M getting soft and stretchy in 90+ degrees which allows the bracket to rotate left/right. I've removed the plate for the summer and will accept a small ticket if caught. The plate's in the rear floor and I'll claim "I forget to reinstall after washing this past weekend" in hopes of sidestepping the ticket. The GT looks much better without a plate.
I 100% agree with you, the car looks much better without the plate. I am personally ok without having it, but I have to weight that against the time and inconvenience of getting pulled over. I travel to and from work and the CHP are always looking at the carpool lane, which I am normally traveling. Just don't want the hassle.

GT_order_#1001

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Shadow Black GT MME, 2013 Pearl Chevy Volt
Occupation
Civil-Enviro Engineer
Country flag
Totally understand @MyLittlePony2022 . I'm working from home and when traveling I don't worry much about the local police west of Richmond VA or anywhere in VA

mme gt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, 2016 F250 diesel, 2019 Cadillac XT5
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Been running the wrap plate for a few months now.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Giving up on Sto-N-Sho and going with vinyl wrap license plate 20220619_122952

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Yeah, it totally depends on where you regularly travel. In my case, I had to get something since my town’s gendarmerie will pull you over for anything. After getting the wrap plate I got pulled over 5 times in the first week. Since then, not at all. I guess word spread in the PD that it’s legal. 🤪🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E Giving up on Sto-N-Sho and going with vinyl wrap license plate 6E5D8524-A3F6-4F66-9254-01BEC36D3893

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today I thought there was enough room over the curb and then I heard the scrape sound. No damage done but I should have known better.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Giving up on Sto-N-Sho and going with vinyl wrap license plate 20220729_143139

OP
OP
MyLittlePony2022

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today I thought there was enough room over the curb and then I heard the scrape sound. No damage done but I should have known better.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Giving up on Sto-N-Sho and going with vinyl wrap license plate 20220729_143139
That is how it happened at first but I had a little bit of bending. The second curb, which was really low, was what did it in for me. I did try to straighten the bracket and just gave up. I figured a few hours of my time of trying to get it back to normal is not worth it. Time or money. I just went with Craig's bracket while I wait for my custom plate to come and for me to get the vinyl wrap soon after that.

A2Z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE; MME Select AWD
Country flag
I want to start out with a positive. I think the Sto-N-Sho is a very well-engineered bracket. It mounts without any issues; no drilling and the quality of the product is great. I did not have any issues with the sensors. Recommended, with a caveat.

There are two areas that made me change my mind and remove it from the car. The very thing that makes it easy and non-destructive mounting, is also an issue. The single bolt and just 3M tape, results in it not having a solid mount. If the tape come loose, it tends to wobble on the single bolt. Not a deal breaker for me since I just drilled two more support hole and mounted it on the underside of the front spoiler. Not worried about two small holes.

The biggest disadvantage is that is it is lower than the front spoiler. I try not to have the spoiler come close to the parking stops or curbs, but it is and will happen. Some on the forum may be exception drivers and do not get their front end close to curbs, I have not had that skill or luck. The first time was a minor issue, and I bent the front plate. The second time bent the bracket and plate and the whole thing was just hanging down (not drivable). Below is what happens when a 3-ton car pins the plate and bracket on top of a curb and then drags it across it, as the car backs up. I can fix this, but it is going to happen again, and I do not want it to take place when my wife is driving the car. I was there and I had to take the bracket off in a parking lot.

I knew ahead of time, when I ordered the bracket, that it was lower than the spoiler. My fault and I took the risk. The had vinyl as a backup plan. I was optimistic. I just ordered the vinyl license plate, since it is legal here in CA. I think the real plate looks much better than the vinyl. I will look at Craig's bracket and the EOS but the wife says the look ugly and she keeps hitting the plate when she walks by (small and tight garage).

I also have a Sto-N-Sho and also found that, as the 3M VHB tape comes loose (which has happened a couple times now), the plate will wobble and swivel on the single screw attaching the bracket to the car. I am curious where you drilled the two additional holes you mentioned to better secure the bracket to the car and how you attached the Sto-N-Sho with those newly drilled holes. That sounds like a really good solution if one does not mind a lower front plate.