Glass Roof and Windshield Recall (too early)

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Might be me but I'm very picky about these things. I will take 'photos close up with my digital SLR of all areas around the screen/roof before the work and closely inspect after any repairs. I will then have the evidence if anything is scratched/gouged etc then they will have to repair that as well.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Recall clearly states that a rental is provided.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Tip - your dealership is incompetent.

My dealership did an F-150 windshield recall. 50 F-150s. I broke. That's 2% breakage.
Yes, yes they are. Service advisor had the nerve to ask me for a good review when I get the survey in the mail. He said I can bash Ford and the car all I want to but please give him good marks.

PMDGator

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E FE, C-Max
Country flag
Tip - your dealership is incompetent.
I am not in an immediate rush since I have had not issues with panoramic roof or windshield, but I figured I'd check with my dealer and they said they won't have any parts until mid-January. I asked what parts are needed and they didn't know.

Alai

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Recall clearly states that a rental is provided.
Hi Rick, first time caller and I just bought my MME last week. Unfortunately it was a floor model 2021 and they can't release it until the recall is completed. Do you happen to know where it says that a rental will be provided? I want to be kind as I signed up for the car knowing about the recall, but it'd also be nice to have 2 cars in the home again.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Hi Rick, first time caller and I just bought my MME last week. Unfortunately it was a floor model 2021 and they can't release it until the recall is completed. Do you happen to know where it says that a rental will be provided? I want to be kind as I signed up for the car knowing about the recall, but it'd also be nice to have 2 cars in the home again.
I did the exact same thing and bought a 21 floor model. Dealer wasn’t kind enough to tell me until I was signing the papers and luring me 4hrs from my home after I called to confirm the car was available to drive home that day…. But I digress. Long story short I don’t believe we are able to get a rental for this recall because the car technically isn’t ours until they perform the recall work and “deliver” the vehicle. Please let me know if you find out something different!

However, on the bright side, it seems that Ford prioritizes people in our position and sends the foam gasket for the pano roof to our service managers first. My MME is sitting at the glass shop, with all parts needed, waiting on people to come back from deer hunting/turkey eating break to finish up the work. The service manager said I will hopefully have my car in the first part of next week, making this about a 5 working day turn around from receiving the parts needed to finishing the work.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The rental is stated right in the recall @Alai. If you're the owner of the vehicle, i.e. the agreement is already signed and dated and payment periods have started.

No new vehicle can be delivered without these recalls being performed, therefore you can't be the legal owner yet.

In the letter it states: Your dealer is authorized to provide a rental vehicle for your personal transportation at no charge (except for fuel and insurance) while your vehicle is at the dealership for repairs. Please see your dealer for guidelines and limitations.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My service manager advised me that in order to perform the windshield/roof service, there was a process that they must follow. Per the SM, it requires some visual inspection to first verify the car does indeed need the service. Once they have verified, they are permitted to place an order for the parts. Once the parts arrive, the dealership will have a licensed 3rd party do the work. I was told this would take a few days and I can expect a rental.
I heard the same thing. They have to do the inspection first.

Alai

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Thanks @tannerk89 for the hope at least! I need to get this in this tax year for by max state and fed credits as I'm hoping to lock down a different EV next year. My spouse and I both are able shuffle 1 car since we work remotely still and have small kids (natural curfew).

Also thanks to @RickMachE as I didn't know that I don't own the car yet. I'm sure I am contracted to own it either way, so I put myself here. If I'm lucky, the dealership will have a heart. The guy I worked with is a great human being, but I know that he submits to the authority of Ford.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
@Alai that was my main concern too. And it’s strange to be in this weird pergatory of ownership for the tax planning purposes. I think if you signed and they cashed your deposit check etc. in this year you would be ok to claim the purchase in this year, however I am most definitely not a tax pro! I just don’t see how the IRS could argue since we own the car and we’re financially impacted in 2021 regardless of when the dealer gives us the keys. I don’t feel this is the same situation other members are in since they sign the papers on picking up the vehicle from dealer for factory orders. Hopefully neither of us have to deal with that situation ??.

@RickMachE I signed and payments have started - yet I do not have the car title in my name, which I think is the true ownership? Otherwise I think they owe me a rental for the past two weeks. I’m fortunate enough to have access to other vehicles though so I don’t think it’s worth the fight while my car is held hostage. IDK It’s a weird situation, I really dislike to be honest. I would feel much better paying on receipt of my vehicle.

Last edited:

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
I too received those windshield/roof recall notices but just put them aside for now.

My service manager advised me that in order to perform the windshield/roof service, there was a process that they must follow. Per the SM, it requires some visual inspection to first verify the car does indeed need the service. Once they have verified, they are permitted to place an order for the parts. Once the parts arrive, the dealership will have a licensed 3rd party do the work. I was told this would take a few days and I can expect a rental.
I have an appointment Dec 03 for them to 'Inspect to see *if* I need the repair'. if I need the repair, they will schedule after ordering the parts.

Hopefully the inspection will only take ~30 min so I can continue on to work from there.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I signed and payments have started - yet I do not have the car title in my name, which I think is the true ownership?
Why did you pay for a car that they can't give you?

I have an appointment Dec 03 for them to 'Inspect to see *if* I need the repair'. if I need the repair, they will schedule after ordering the parts.
If you received the recall notice, you need the repair. They can check the VIN without you bringing the car to them.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Why did you pay for a car that they can't give you?

If you received the recall notice, you need the repair. They can check the VIN without you bringing the car to them.
Because I don’t want to be sitting on this forum waiting for 12+ months waiting for my car to arrive lol. But I also have a time limit where they have agreed to buy back the car at full purchase price, if it’s not delivered by a certain date. I purchased it knowing they have to fix the recall before giving it to me, and have no doubt they will. It’s in the shop with parts already. I was more referring to the recall stating they would allow a rental car during the work period and questioned how they determined ownership in my situation. I don’t need a rental car but the other person in the same situation might.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
A deposit wouldn’t have been enough to secure the car until they could sell it?
They could, and did sell it, to me lol. I did ask about a deposit but they didn’t want to go that route, and I don’t blame them. It was only available on the market for less than a day when I bought it, I have no doubt it would have sold to someone else whether I put a deposit on it or not. It’s exactly the build I wanted and price I wanted it for without having to wait. I’ll make some concessions for that.
Sponsored