Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2023 Select RWD
Country flag
I think my main issues will remain:
1. cost per KWH,
2. Location

I live in a multi-family without home charging, so for me this isn't just for occasional road trips. Cost matters, and right now only the L2 ChargePoint slow chargers managed by my county are affordable ($.16/KWH).
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I live in a multi-family without home charging, so for me this isn't just for occasional road trips. Cost matters, and right now only the L2 ChargePoint slow chargers managed by my county are affordable ($.16/KWH).
I would probably go back to 100% ICE if it wasn't for home charging. I'm not sure how you manage that. When people ask me what I like about EVs my answer is always; home charging (never having to go to a gas station and much less expensive) and the instant power.

Sillybibbles

First Name
Mr. Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2023 Select RWD
Country flag
I think Electrify America will be fine, E.A. have good locations near me - better than Tesla-and are affordable-ish with the membership. E.A. have worked well for me.

But for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would use the horrible by-minute, EVGo chargers. I cannot fathom who would still choose to use EVGo if they have any option - especially when their chargers are 50KWH slow, and per-minute charging is insane and ridiculous for the last 20% - even over $1/KWH. I suspect EVGo will be bought out within a few years.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
But for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would use the horrible by-minute, EVGo chargers.
Per minute is not an EVGo thing. It's how many different companies operate in various states. In California, per minute charging is illegal and EVGo uses per kW here. They have native plug n charge, which is very rare, so that makes them even more lucrative. As for slowness, do your research before stopping because many, many different companies have lower amps (with higher voltage) than the MME will charge at, netting slow speeds on the MME.

Sillybibbles

First Name
Mr. Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2023 Select RWD
Country flag
Per minute is not an EVGo thing. It's how many different companies operate in various states. In California, per minute charging is illegal and EVGo uses per kW here. They have native plug n charge, which is very rare, so that makes them even more lucrative. As for slowness, do your research before stopping because many, many different companies have lower amps (with higher voltage) than the MME will charge at, netting slow speeds on the MME.
Interesting. I'm in VA, so who knows why they do per-min. Maybe they will see most consumers hate it and eventually change over- there are EVGo chargers near me I drive past to get to 150 KHW electrify America Chargers, so if EVGo would make the change I would switch to them immediately.

Also a good insight on the voltage versus amps. But I have not yet seen any voltage that can't manage the full 150 khw that the MME can do. Maybe in future 800v chargers, but that's still very rare.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Also a good insight on the voltage versus amps. But I have not yet seen any voltage that can't manage the full 150 khw that the MME can do. Maybe in future 800v chargers, but that's still very rare.
It's not the voltage that's the problem. Most of those older units have low amperage which leads to the low charging speed. You need both. For example, a charge unit that maxes at 150a and the MME maxing at 400v would be 60kW delivered before losses.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This is a chart of current EV charging plug AC and DC "CCS-like" standards and their regions, across the world (a bit more than two):

Ford Mustang Mach-E GM Adopts Tesla NACS like Ford! {filename}

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Why not? Tesla already has an adapter out that does CCS to NACS and it can do 250kW, why would an adapter that goes NACS to CCS have some harder limitation? The only reason to worry about the adapter and rate limitation is if they have to implement cable as well due to the short length of the SuperCharger cables. If it's a cable also adapter then the rate may be limited since the cooling won't extend to the cable.
How far are the cable runs inside the MME? I don't think those are liquid cooled.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Re the necessity of an adapter making our cars obsolete, I'm not saying it's an invalid concern... but our cars' internal constraints on charging speed are gonna make our cars obsolete much faster than the necessity of an adapter. So I don't think it's anything to get worked up about.

At least in the short run, an adapter gives us more versatility.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
there may be eventual pushback from the public since their prices are 10-15 cents higher than others, making it more expensive than an equivalent tank of gas.
Here in CA Tesla has/had been charging ~$0.42/Kw and even if they charge $0.50 (20% more) the gasoline equivalent here in CA ($5/gal) will still be far more expensive.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Re the necessity of an adapter making our cars obsolete, I'm not saying it's an invalid concern... but our cars' internal constraints on charging speed are gonna make our cars obsolete much faster than the necessity of an adapter. So I don't think it's anything to get worked up about.

At least in the short run, an adapter gives us more versatility.
Obsolete is such a strong word - don't underestimate the size of the used car market for people who just want something to commute in - students who just need something to get to and from school, seniors who just want local driving, people who need something reliable to get to/from work and don't have the money to go on roadtrips even if they wanted too, people who are happy to save several grand on a car purchase if it means just putting up with occasional slower charging, etc.
Sponsored