A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
Ha, didn't expect them to move that fast since GM really doesn't have any noteworthy EV deployment to really speak of, least of all the BOLTs that can do a whopping 50kW charging.
Let's be real - GM didn't move fast on this and this agreement wasn't negotiated in the week since Ford announced theirs. They did market studies to see what was best for their future, feasibility studies to see how hard it would be to integrate with their existing software, cost negotiations, etc. If anything, Ford's announcement gave them the push over the finish line, but there's no way this decision was reactionary - it's just too quick for a company like GM to make a large engineering decision like that.
Sponsored

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not a big surprise, almost every auto related announcement Ford does GM is right behind. Before this was ProPower on-board then suddenly the Silverado EV had it. Not going to pretend that Ford doesn't snag some popular GM ideas, I know it's a give and take, but the last few years it has felt like GM just waits to see how Ford does then they hop in. Heck, their turbocharged half ton engine is 2.7L.

Anyway, I guess it's a good thing. I am still unsure about all this. Will see how it all works out in the long run. My worry would be Tesla not playing nice with other charging providers like Electrify America. As much as their stations may not always be the peak of reliability, it is still a ton of installed capacity that Teslas and non-Teslas could use if they convert them. We will definitely need more stations as even the plentiful superchargers are going to start to feel crowded.
Elon actually started talking to other manufactureres over a year ago, this has been in the works for a while for both Ford and GM. Big companies to not make reactionary decisions within a week.

https://www.torquenews.com/11826/el...charger-profit-ev-maker-prepares-open-network

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My guess is that with Ford, GM, and Tesla now all on board with NACS, there will be changes that take place with the charging infrastructure rules. I'm sure Ford and GM are going to work hard to get their buddies to approve funding to help what is now *their* charging infrastructure. The next step will be for third party charging companies such as EA, EV-go etc to switch all future stations to NACS. The small handful of CCS EV's remaining can simply use existing CCS chargers or carry a NACS adapter for full access.

Thank goodness the industry made an intelligent decision while the infrastructure is still in its infancy. We take for granted our good health and strength but think how many feeble(not meant in a derogatory way) people just don't have the strength and dexterity to wrestle with the giant CCS monstrosity, especially in the cold and/or rain/snow which makes the transatlantic cable used even harder to manage.
EVGO already installs NACS, including at some new Ultium branded chargers. My guess is they will get rid of Chdemo and just have CCS plus NACS.

Mach Al

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
I wish our government had mandated NACS in the first place. Now we will have old tech and need to use adapters or pay to have our vehicles updated. Everyone knew Tesla's connector is better.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Interesting. I'm in VA, so who knows why they do per-min. Maybe they will see most consumers hate it and eventually change over- there are EVGo chargers near me I drive past to get to 150 KHW electrify America Chargers, so if EVGo would make the change I would switch to them immediately.

Also a good insight on the voltage versus amps. But I have not yet seen any voltage that can't manage the full 150 khw that the MME can do. Maybe in future 800v chargers, but that's still very rare.
EVGO charges per kwh in AZ, and they are more expensive than EA, up to $0.57/kwh during peak hours.

Sillybibbles

First Name
Mr. Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2023 Select RWD
Country flag
EVGO charges per kwh in AZ, and they are more expensive than EA, up to $0.57/kwh during peak hours.
Here in VA it's $.46/hr regular cost when I've been, and $.36 w/ the monthly membership.

Sillybibbles

First Name
Mr. Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2023 Select RWD
Country flag
So why exactly is the NACS better? I get access the Tesla's network, but side by side is the tech actually better?

NoMoPetrol

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013Tesla Model S, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well there goes the neighborhood. Watch all the Bolts line up.
Who are you kidding? GM reportedly sold a whopping 145,000 Bolts over the first five years of their existence, only to be discontinued. Most of those owners have already established charging patterns that do not involve Tesla superchargers. Are you expecting that suddenly they will be road tripping en masse just because an adapter shows up at their doorsteps?

My suspicion is that Tesla has done a thorough analysis of down times throughout their Supercharger network and have determined that the number of days in the year that create backlogs for Tesla owners are concentrated in roughly 15-20 days out of the year. They can offer a program for those dates to all users what they've already started in the Tesla community - free/reduced rate Supercharging during high traffic times for charging your vehicle off-peak.

NoMoPetrol

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013Tesla Model S, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So why exactly is the NACS better? I get access the Tesla's network, but side by side is the tech actually better?
Regarding the act of discharging electrons - no. Getting the charging stall to start discharging electrons - yes!

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Here in CA Tesla has/had been charging ~$0.42/Kw and even if they charge $0.50 (20% more) the gasoline equivalent here in CA ($5/gal) will still be far more expensive.
At those prices, my Escape would be cheaper than my Mach-E to drive.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I wish our government had mandated NACS in the first place. Now we will have old tech and need to use adapters or pay to have our vehicles updated. Everyone knew Tesla's connector is better.
The connector has absolutely nothing to do with reliability. Plus Tesla currently does not support more than 500V, so many cars cannot use them effectively. A Lucid charged with a magic dock and only charged at 50kw, same as a Bolt. There are many 800v vehicles and more in development, but Tesla will provide the same throttled charging for those that some broken EA chargers do today.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
Can't we use something like Tesla tap? Or a different Telsa tap with higher amperage?