Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Vapor Blue Mach-E GT, 2019 CX-5, 2018 Leaf S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
Look I totally understand the frustration people have with infotainment screens however, these CPUs and GPUs have to go through a much longer cycle than any iPads. It isn't as simple as 'putting in an iPad processor'. As others pointed out, there are temperature extremes. The screen is turned on for a much longer duration daily than most iPads. Just as an example, why is a thing like 'burn in' a big issue with OLED TVs and not OLED screens on phones? Because phones never go through a long cycle before you shut it meanwhile TVs can display static content for hours. Same logic here but with the processor guts. It has to run for a much much longer duration so most companies sacrifice the latest and greatest for something that is tried and tested to last a long time. Not to mention, after the covid chip shortage, most will stock these chips years in advance so don't expect yearly bumps.

I think a model car manufacturers should follow is allow for hardware upgrades overtime because in most cases, these screens become obsolete or slow in a few years. Carplay and Auto solves that issue partially since your screen is just mirroring your device however I would still like to have the option to increase processing power as an option. Honestly, I don't mind paying a few hundred bucks for the same.
Yea, it's easy to want the latest SoC on the cutting edge process node.

Reality is that it takes several years to certify a new compute platform (SoC, I/O bus, power, packaging) for OEM automotive use. Then roughly another year for that to be integrated. The average car owner is all about reliability, which means the auto OEMs are about reliability. They want to know when they put in an infotainment platform the HW has a 4-6 year MTBF, and realistically most parts last well beyond a decade. They want to know when the car is left all day in the Death Valley sun, the system will boot up and work right away, or out in the driveway in -20F in Green Bay. Large failures and recalls hurt the bottom line and the company reputation.

This is why CarPlay and Android Auto are the right idea - phone SoCs require less hardening; if a customer leaves their phone on the dash in Death Valley, well dumb of them, guess they need a new phone. So using a platform that people regularly update to drive the infotainment allows the car to keep getting the latest, greatest tech without needing expensive vehicle upgrades.

And those upgrades would be expensive, $250 is an order of magnitude lower than I would expect for an OEM quality upgrade. Aftermarket guys might hit that range, though not with cutting edge hardware, and not with the ruggedness expected from an original item.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
The plan described in the article is about removing a difficult to control piece that causes all kinds of compatibility issues--the phone to headunit interface. That interface sucks right now and GM don't want to (can't afford to) wait for phone manufacturers to do a better job.

Note that they're not going with the Android equivalent of CarPlay--they're going with the built-in Android, so my phone would only be slightly better than an iPhone with these vehicles.

But, the problem is that backward compatibility isn't a priority for phone manufacturers and vehicle manufacturers will never be able to keep up. Not only are they unable to keep up—because of the long lead-time to developing the tested and reliable hardware, they're behind before they even get the hardware installed.

There's no good choice for vehicle manufacturers. They can give customers what they want (reliability at the expense of the latest interface) or they can give customers what they ask for (a momentarily useful interface at the expense of reliability and usability).

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
kills me a little every time I look over at a Tesla (especially a Model S or a Model X) and I see someone with one of those dash-mounted phone holders
I have two neighbors with Tesla's. One has a MS the other a MX. Neither will replace their Tesla with another Tesla unless it has CarPlay support. The model S owner is waiting on his Lightning to be delivered. The model x owner bought a new Leaf as his work car because of CarPlay.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Interesting decision by GM. My ‘14 SS Sedan doesn’t have CarPlay and I’ve survived all this time with just a Bluetooth connection and holding down the talk button on the steering wheel to summon Siri when needed. Tough life I tell ya. But, I bought it to be a sports sedan so I’m happy.

Still, CarPlay would be a welcome addition. But, I wouldn’t trade it for my cooled seats and head up display that’s for sure. To paraphrase Darth Vader - “EV buyers aren’t as forgiving as I am.”

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Well that will save you two more years of waiting
I plunked down money for the reservation when I was pissed off at my car for taking a turd on its junction box last summer for the second time. Wasn't exactly hitting refresh every day awaiting delivery, even before GM's customer-hostile press release. The exterior is not aesthetically pleasing.

Amazonkers

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E Select, previous 13 Chevy Volt
Country flag
All car manufacturers are going to do this.

They aren't going to give up a billion dollars annually on data capture to Apple just so you can use Overcast instead of Pocket Casts.

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag

They aren't going to give up a billion dollars annually on data capture to Apple just so you can use Overcast instead of Pocket Casts.
This, and carplay is a poor from a software standpoint. It requires you to use your phone which isn’t ideal.

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford Mustang, 2020 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not a good idea. No CarPlay is a deal breaker for me. That's why I wouldn't consider a Tesla (among other things). There may be some after market devices that will allow CarPlay, but that's not really the point. To make customers subscribe to something they do not want is just bad business.

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag

Points for the Outcast Overcast reference.

Last edited:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Points for the Outcast reference.
+1 for Overcast -- PocketCasts doesn't even playback properly anymore on iOS.

GM can imagine all of the subscription revenue and big data trove with Google that they want, they're going to lose customers doing this.
Sponsored