AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
I, for one, am looking forward to the Camaro/Mustang rivalry in electric form. It can only mean good things for future models
In the ICE age, it has been all about "I have more horsepower!" or "I have more torque".

If the Camaro follows the Mustang model, it might be "I can fit more groceries bags in the frunk!"

Kind of sad... LOL
Sponsored

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
In the ICE age, it has been all about "I have more horsepower!" or "I have more torque".

If the Camaro follows the Mustang model, it might be "I can fit more groceries bags in the frunk!"

Kind of sad... LOL
See, I view it as ā€œour GTPE does 0-60 in 3.5 secondsā€ and Chevy answers ā€œ well out e-COPO Camaro does it in 3.1ā€ prompting Ford to respond in kind at the next iteration

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
The electric Camaro was expected years ago and is very late for its announcement. GM has a prototype "e-COPO" Camaro years ago, and there is a famous electric Corvette breaking speed records at the Space Shuttle landing strip in Florida. Plus we all know about GM's electric history, going back to the EV1 , Impact prototype, and the "skateboard" layout that Tesla adopted.

My question is how much will this electric Camaro will cost. Ford is doing exceptionally well keeping the prices of its first electric vehicles withing the price ranges of its gasoline powered models, such that the Mach-E sold more in June than its gas Mustang models. And the F-150 Lightning will be a huge seller and actually cut into its gas F-150 sales.

As a past owner of a 1967 Rally Sport Camaro, I wish the new Camaro the success it deserves.
Part of why the Mach-E outsold the Mustang is that there werenā€™t any Mustangs available. Thatā€™s kinda like eliminating sedans and coupes from your product mix then saying ā€œSee? Our customers want crossovers, SUVā€™s and trucksā€.

OP
OP
Carsinmyblood

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Damn it! I want a TransAm EV with a screaming chicken and everything. Even if they call it Chevrolet TransAm.
Mustang Trans/Am.

Why not?

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
See, I view it as ā€œour GTPE does 0-60 in 3.5 secondsā€ and Chevy answers ā€œ well out e-COPO Camaro does it in 3.1ā€ prompting Ford to respond in kind at the next iteration
These EVs are definitely quick, but the 4 door thing just makes it hard for me to think of them as true sports cars, even if they drive like one.
Behind the wheel of most Panamera's is a guy who wished his wife would have let him buy a 911!

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Here is the thing, power to weight ratios are pretty much what they are and not much is gained by having only 2 with the exception of loss of market share. When your in the 3s with 4 doors that says it all. Let's face it, the autocross and twisty road community will be the only ones really feeling the loss of a 2 door coupe.

I also think how the MachE rear doors have no handle is genius styling. Really happy with it after 6 months.
For some of us like myself I think the two door dream is really just good memories from my younger days with my old 1992 Mustang and remembering how fun it was to drive. The reality of life at 42 years old is I really don't have a need for a two door car anymore. I don't have kids but I do put things in the back seat for transportation every now and then, and even still the only reason I'm looking for something bigger than a 4 door car is because I have to transport a large mountain bike to NC a few times a year and it won't fit in a car with a trunk. So SUV out of necessity. Also being older and busier I don't have time for a weekend warrior, I actually sold my 92 mustang because it just sat there not being used anymore. I was sad to see that day come, but I haven't missed it either. It's hard to separate the memories from reality of where I am now.

That being said I'm sure a lot of people are still young and want a two door fun car to use every day, so I can't say there's no place for them.

You can in the same hand look at how far four door cars have come like a BMW M5 competition and it handles just as good as a two door does.

I don't know, I can't say someone is wrong for wanting a two door, I get it even from a style standpoint.

As far as the mach e doors go I actually wish it didn't have the handle in front and they kept it completely clean and flat on the outside. No reason we can't just open it from the inside of the door.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Damn! I was kind of hoping for an electric TransAm.
Actually a trans am using the body style from the 90's is perfect for an EV. Super low and long front end to a point that would glide through the air with low resistance. They could totally bring back a retro style Camaro from that era that's all EV and super fast.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I see a Shelby Mach-E in the future....

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I dont know which car was the first to make the transition from coupe to 4 doors. But I remember the noise being made about the Chevy Impala and, Dodge Charger when they were first announced.
Ford may have gone further by not only giving a Mustang 4 doors but they also made it a SUV and Electric. But the the Mustang in its original form still lives, unlike the Impala and the Charger.
I think they want to make Mustang a sub brand line to compete with Tesla, bmw, and audi. So a range of premium and performance cars. Less stodgy than Lincoln.

I don't think Lincoln will fade entirely. But it's not known to excite people or make them happy.

Brand expansion makes sense in this context.

With that being said there were years the Camaro didn't exist. I don't see this as a new sub brand. This isn't a Corvette.

OP
OP
Carsinmyblood

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I don't see this as a new sub brand. This isn't a Corvette.
I agree. The first Corvette was meant to fill the need for speed, even with it's 6 cyl roots. The Mustang was marketed as mom's grocery getter with room for the kids.

Mustang ad.jpg

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Mustang Trans/Am.

Why not?
Well, the SCCA Trans-Am Championship Series was originally designed for the emerging Pony Car market, the Mustang being the first, followed by the Camaro, the Firebird, the Challenger, and the Barracuda. So, there were Trans-Am Mustangs, just not by name, since Pontiac snapped up the name and licensed it for $5/vehicle. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

The original concept of the street version of the Firebird Trans Am came out of the Sprint Turismo program (6-cylinder originally). It morphed into an effort to build a better Z/28. The Gen1 and Gen2 Trans Ams exceeded the Z/28 target in handling but they wouldnā€™t be legal for Trans-Am series Racing due to the 5 liter displacement limit. The early 303 was based off of a massive tunnel port head that had no midrange or low end. The racers got to experimenting with the Ram Air IV heads and found those to be superior for the small 5 liter engine. The 1964 Tempest in my avatar has a Pontiac 303 with Ram Air IV heads because the over-sized former grocery getter was raced by privateers in 1971 in the Trans Am series. Iā€™m probably going to be sticking my nose into it in the next couple of weeks. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©
Sponsored