SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I mean this is cool if they actually put something better than 50 kW every EV go in the area of Sacramento is 50 kW of trash I drive by them and give them the middle finger lol
FWIW the highest charging speed I've ever reached was on an EVGO 350.
Sponsored

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I use mostly EA too (largely due to coverage in the right spots), but even more dependable for us have been the ChargePoint 125's. Done roughly a dozen charges on them and they've been highly dependable. CO and UT use those for their state-sponsored charger locations spread around the state. Kyle Connor uses the ones in Wellington CO all the time for his range tests (just north of his office and home in Ft Collins). He rarely seems to have any issue with them.

My only issue with the Chargepoint (CPE250?) chargers is that the cables need to be longer. If they are installed with an angled parking space, or the bollard is too far away, it can be a PITA plugging a MachE in. Oh yeah, the Chademo cable also has to be positioned so as to not add extra tension.

jammic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Does EVGo have a 150 kW tower? All the EVGo's I've crossed paths with are 50 kW, which isn't going to be that useful for folks making long distance runs.
I charged at a 150kW EA station on my last trip after using only 50kW EVgo stations and I couldnā€™t believe the difference.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Do you know what they looked like? Were they the "Fat Boy" chargers? They are squat-looking ones, very aptly named unfortunately lol.
So I spoke to a BTC (makers of said "Fat Boy" chargers) rep at a show on fleet EVs and he said they've pretty much swapped out all the fat boys in the country with newer chargers.
And a small tidbit: fat boy was supposed to be an internal term, until they used it while on a call with a customer inadvertently, and that's how it got leaked šŸ¤£.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
So I spoke to a BTC (makers of said "Fat Boy" chargers) rep at a show on fleet EVs and he said they've pretty much swapped out all the fat boys in the country with newer chargers.
And a small tidbit: fat boy was supposed to be an internal term, until they used it while on a call with a customer inadvertently, and that's how it got leaked šŸ¤£.
Iā€™ve definitely still seen some on plugshare

UnforAll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E 4x Premium IB; '13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Occupation
Grad Student
Country flag
I have never heard of Pilot or Flying J on the east coast but I'm glad for expansion anywhere. Hopefully, this will boost EVGo as an organization.
Milford and North Stonington according to the Pilot/Flying J locator. Don't know if they are part of the planned charging network
Find a Pilot Flying J Location Near You

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have never heard of Pilot or Flying J on the east coast but I'm glad for expansion anywhere. Hopefully, this will boost EVGo as an organization.
Me neither. But the website shows 772 locations in 44 states - many on the eastern half.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They're mostly outside of the cities along interstates. Which is perfect, as that's where most the DCFC should be. Travelers need DCFC. Locals should be using L1/L2 almost exclusively. Better for the batteries, better for the grid, much cheaper, and much easier to charge while sleeping overnight than to DCFC-sit for half an hour during the day.

Ztug

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 mache e
Country flag
Because truck stops are exactly where I want to charge...

Actually, for F-150Ls, this MAY be ideal.
Actually most Pilots and Flying J's cater to cars at least as much as trucks and have restaurants as varied as Subway and Denny's.
Being open 24/7 and having some food and convenience items available at all times makes it more useful than a lot of locations. Especially since they are located right off the major highways which is where most people want fast charging on road trips.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
They're mostly outside of the cities along interstates. Which is perfect, as that's where most the DCFC should be. Travelers need DCFC. Locals should be using L1/L2 almost exclusively. Better for the batteries, better for the grid, much cheaper, and much easier to charge while sleeping overnight than to DCFC-sit for half an hour during the day.
Howā€™s the EA at the Loveā€™s between Vegas and Denver?

Thereā€™s an EA at the Space Age truck stop in Hermiston, OR and itā€™s terrific. Lots of food options, huge clean bathrooms and space to walk around to stretch the legs. Itā€™s a much better experience than a Walmart parking lot.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Howā€™s the EA at the Loveā€™s between Vegas and Denver?

Thereā€™s an EA at the Space Age truck stop in Hermiston, OR and itā€™s terrific. Lots of food options, huge clean bathrooms and space to walk around to stretch the legs. Itā€™s a much better experience than a Walmart parking lot.
It's good. Salina UT. Used it last week. We normally use the EA in Richfield 17 miles away (Walmart) because the spacing works a bit better, but it was warm and we had a tailwind so we tried Salina this time. Quick in and out from I-70, and Arby's sounded better than Subway. :cool:

We've been happy with nearly every EA location we've used. 33 of them now, by my count. Wish the Grand Junction one were closer to I-70. Flagstaff could have been a bit easier to get to. Same in Albuquerque. But I think every other one we've used has been pretty convenient right by an off-ramp. Most were at Walmarts, Sam's, or Target, which works good too. Same with Love's, Flying J, etc. All good.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Trader Joeā€™s in Virginia Beach, these have been around for a while.
Ford Mustang Mach-E GM & Pilot to build 2000 EVgo charging stations at 500 locations along US highways BDE65BAF-33B3-4828-BC01-1C61D574B039

Ford Mustang Mach-E GM & Pilot to build 2000 EVgo charging stations at 500 locations along US highways F35DA0AB-E746-428A-9977-AFA7FA9A2B2C

Ford Mustang Mach-E GM & Pilot to build 2000 EVgo charging stations at 500 locations along US highways 10A96AEA-50E4-43CC-8431-1921B7DB71F0

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I should have added... the reliability has been great, but the CP125's are usually paired/shared and only peak at about 72 kW for the Mach-E (in part because the way the power sharing setup works, and in part because the MME only runs at about 88% of rated max kW (if below 150) because of lower pack voltage than normal.

So while dependable, it's a slower option.
Iā€™ve been wondering how well these ā€œ125kWā€ CPE250 stations work for road tripping. Iā€™ve gotten up to 57kW on the 62.5kW stations which was fine for a convenience charging opportunity but frustrating for a road trip.
Sponsored