Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have a 2017, the last two fires (a 2019 and 2020) were with US made batteries. My battery was made in Korea.

Just be aware, Mach E has LG batteries and a VW ID3 with LG batteries just burned in Europe.

All Hyundai Konas (batteries made in China by LG) had been recalled, as well as battery storage systems produced by LG.

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
I have a 2017, the last two fires (a 2019 and 2020) were with US made batteries. My battery was made in Korea.

Just be aware, Mach E has LG batteries and a VW ID3 with LG batteries just burned in Europe.

All Hyundai Konas (batteries made in China by LG) had been recalled, as well as battery storage systems produced by LG.
Danger depends not only on battery manufacturer, but also on vehicle construction, charging algorithms and thermal management. If we don't see Mach-E spontaneous combustion so far - we shall not worry.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Danger depends not only on battery manufacturer, but also on vehicle construction, charging algorithms and thermal management. If we don't see Mach-E spontaneous combustion so far - we shall not worry.
The root cause of the fires are defects in the cells themselves, nothing to do with charging or BMS.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm...tent/Pages/news/us/en/2021/aug/0820-bolt.html

Well we finally know what the two defects are, a torn anode tab and folded separator, sometimes in the same cell. This comes after the fire of a 2020 model a few days ago, which was thought to be safe with updated batteries until today. GM previously claimed they would be able to find defective cells non-destructively with diagnostics—it appears it is now impossible to identify defective batteries preemptively and all must be replaced.

124,000 Bolts are now recalled. In the meantime owners must keep the battery between 70 miles (roughly 30%) and 90% to reduce stress on the cells, which limits their range to about 140 miles. They must also park outside after charging in case a fire starts.

Really hoping this issue doesn't affect the Mach-E or VW since LG also supplies our cells. It's probably good advice to follow similar battery limits (20-90%) as a general guideline most of the time to minimize any potential risks.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm...tent/Pages/news/us/en/2021/aug/0820-bolt.html

Well we finally know what the two defects are, a torn anode tab and folded separator, sometimes in the same cell. This comes after the fire of a 2020 model a few days ago, which was thought to be safe with updated batteries until today. GM previously claimed they would be able to find defective cells non-destructively with diagnostics—it appears it is now impossible to identify defective batteries preemptively and all must be replaced.

124,000 Bolts are now recalled. In the meantime owners must keep the battery between 70 miles (roughly 30%) and 90% to reduce stress on the cells, which limits their range to about 140 miles. They must also park outside after charging in case a fire starts.

Really hoping this issue doesn't affect the Mach-E or VW since LG also supplies our cells. It's probably good advice to follow similar battery limits (20-90%) as a general guideline most of the time to minimize any potential risks.
I hope it does not affect the Mach E either, but Kona batteries had the same, or nearly the same defect, folded anode is what Hyundai found.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Strongly agree. That is why my EVs park outside as well.

Well, to be honest......I have other cars that are stored in the garage so if I had the space....they would probably get parked inside as well. Maybe for once it's a good thing that I only have a 2 car garage. :)

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
This is bad, and not just for GM and Bolt owners, but everyone.

Gonna hurt public trust in EV's.
This was gonna happen. If not with GM - then with other manufacturer.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Hmm! so here is the separator for the Mach-E. the foam stuff bottom right.
Edit. Not the separator which is inside the cell.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GM Recalling All Chevy Bolts 1629506172543

Mach-E vs Bolt Anode.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GM Recalling All Chevy Bolts 1629506291969

Anode collector Bolt in green circuit board on top, Ribbon cable MachE below.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GM Recalling All Chevy Bolts 1629506586224

Taken from the Munro video who I frown upon normally but... ?‍♂

Last edited:

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
The root cause of the fires are defects in the cells themselves, nothing to do with charging or BMS.
To be precise the assembly of the cells. The cells need to expand and contract a little. The folded separator causes puncture which hits the separated anode and causes fire.

Seems all battery manufacturers are frantically revising their QC to check for folded separators and anode separation of any kind....

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Hmm! so here is the separator for the Mach-E. the foam stuff bottom right.

Mach-E vs Bolt Anode.

Anode collector Bolt in green circuit board on top, Ribbon cable MachE below.

Taken from the Munro video who I frown upon normally but... ?‍♂
Mr. Munro did not open up a cell to expose the separator, which is wound up between anode and cathode layers inside of each cell.

http://lithiumionbattery.org/activities/separator