Going to drive-in movie with Mach-E ?

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
I just went out and verified that (at least on my Job 1 vehicle) they are entirely off if I move the lights knob all the way to off. Just running lights is a setting in between.
I can vouch for that too. We've done several drive-in movies with ours, and it's worked great. The 'all cabin lights off' button next to the map lights is a very handy feature.

I was actually a little nervous about taking it the first time, since I'd read a C&D article where the author took a Polestar 2 to a drive-in but constantly had one light or another coming on, the car waking up etc. But no such problems with the MME
Sponsored

djjerv91

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER Infinite Blue
Country flag
Just curious if anyone has gone to a driven-in movie with a Mach e and ran the radio through the whole movie? Just wondering if anyone had a problem with losing power? Thanks
My wife and I went to a drive-in with it in August, 2.5 hour movie and battery did not deplete at all using idle mode. Great car for the drive-in. Not to mention the frunk was used as our cooler.

OP
OP
wmaney

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
Thanks everyone for all the information. - going to the drive -in tonight if the weather holds. - good idea to use the frubk as a cooler - and good to know how to ensure that all the lights are off. For anyone that already went to a drive in, did you have people ((kids?) in th back seat and how was their view? Thanks

Tangible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Mach E
Country flag
This should work fine unless your wife is named Little Susie, in which case you could wake up at four o'clock in trouble deep, with a dead battery and a shot reputation..

But seriously, in my previous car, a Honda Clarity PHEV, I completely drained my 12V battery waiting for my wife with the heater on while she was at a doctor's appointment. I was in accessory mode, and thought the traction battery would keep the 12V charged. I ended up in the ridiculous situation of getting a jumpstart from AAA, because in that car the two batteries don't talk to each other.

I don't know if the MME is the same. "Idling" feels wasteful, though of course there's no engine running, but I guess keeping the car in started mode is the way to go for long occupancy.

Bjbjustin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
Literally sitting ain a drive in now...slight learning curve.

Turn car on. But leave in Park....the other RNDL will have the brakes on.

Having car in Acc can bring the DRL or courrsey lights on. I managed to tick off both the people in front, and behind before the fn movie even started.

No AC or heat running - 1.75 hrs in main batt dropped 1%

Rear seat view isn't great for little ones...but its warmer than the bed of a truck...so little man move to the front...if you had 2, the 2nd can sit in the middle of the back row.

I also see the drive in has updated their rules to disallow BBQ'ing. Too bad, we use to both charcoal and propane grill. Sure, it was super trashy...but I'll be dammed. If you're gonna watch 3 movies...dudes gotta eat. Plus, the drive inn turns into the swap meet in the AM so who you trying to kid.

- surround setting is pretty dang nice too

Bjbjustin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
Literally sitting ain a drive in now...slight learning curve.

Turn car on. But leave in Park....the other RNDL will have the brakes on.

Having car in Acc can bring the DRL or courrsey lights on. I managed to tick off both the people in front, and behind before the fn movie even started.

No AC or heat running - 1.75 hrs in main batt dropped 1%

Rear seat view isn't great for little ones...but its warmer than the bed of a truck...so little man move to the front...if you had 2, the 2nd can sit in the middle of the back row.

I also see the drive in has updated their rules to disallow BBQ'ing. Too bad, we use to both charcoal and propane grill. Sure, it was super trashy...but I'll be dammed. If you're gonna watch 3 movies...dudes gotta eat. Plus, the drive inn turns into the swap meet in the AM so who you trying to kid.

- surround setting is pretty dang nice too
And bring something to cover the touchscreen...that sucker is bright, even on chill and illumination turned down

OP
OP
wmaney

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
Ok - made it to the drive in and the mach e did great - only two of us in the car, so did not have to worry about back seat view. Putting the car in park and turning light dial to off while "starting" the car with the brake depressed allowed us to leave the main battery on which provided for heat and allowed us to enjoy the quality sound system. Dropped a few % points of charge during the three hours we were there - but that was it. We put the display in calm mode which significantly dimmed the screen, but there still was the light from the display behind the steering wheel. Put a small blanket over the steering wheel and cured that problem. Nice to be able to bring our own snacks and drinks. The screen quality was ok but not great. But still this was a nice way to watch a movie. Will go again. Thanks for everyone's input.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Those screens are so darn bright when you want it dark. Really wish you could just dim them off in some way or have a camping mode like "others" have :)

I also find the little blue LEDs that shine down to be pretty distracting as well. Then if you are trying to lay in the back, you will notice how many stupid illuminated horses there are in this car. I never noticed how many illuminated pony's there were till I laid down in the back at night. All that stuff needs a way to just be turned off.

I will give it to Ford for allowing us to completely turn off all the exterior lights. A lot of cars won't let you turn off the running lights, at least from my experience.

dwadj

First Name
Davy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2021 J2 Awd ER, Transit Custom Lim aut
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Mmmm strange,

Because for some reason the E-heat in mine does not work in idle mode...
It was cold outside and i was going for a snack, so my wife stayed in the car, but e-heat was shut of during the time the car was parked... (some 30 mins) although the car was started no hot air...
So when i came back with the snacks ... my wife was very angry and frozen... o oh...
When again starting the drive the hot air came out !!!
Maybe some setting or so?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Mmmm strange,

Because for some reason the E-heat in mine does not work in idle mode...
It was cold outside and i was going for a snack, so my wife stayed in the car, but e-heat was shut of during the time the car was parked... (some 30 mins) although the car was started no hot air...
So when i came back with the snacks ... my wife was very angry and frozen... o oh...
When again starting the drive the hot air came out !!!
Maybe some setting or so?
Are you sure the car was in Ready mode and not Accessory mode?

dwadj

First Name
Davy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2021 J2 Awd ER, Transit Custom Lim aut
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Are you sure the car was in Ready mode and not Accessory mode?
Yes,
I parked the car and did not press the Start button to stop it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes,
I parked the car and did not press the Start button to stop it.
If your e-heat only works while you’re moving, you should probably have your dealer check it out.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Mach N Cheese did great at a "Sing 2" drive-in with two kids and low 50s temperatures.

Lost about 4% soc with drive mode on, and Sketch was key for the "boring" talking parts ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Going to drive-in movie with Mach-E ? PXL_20211231_023342989

Ford Mustang Mach-E Going to drive-in movie with Mach-E ? PXL_20211231_025025136