GOM question.

Strabismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
I looked through several pages and couldn’t find a direct answer. Took my car in and they told me Paak module had a short, yada yada. My GOM is now getting lower, so I did the hold to factory reset and it only showed 260 at 100%, drove around again reset it and now 255. If I reset it, shouldn’t it go back to default 270?
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It is more than your driving history, it is temps, terrain, and a conservative "average driver".

GOM is meaningless without actual history and a planned drive in the nav. Even then it is still guessing, but about less

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I looked through several pages and couldn’t find a direct answer. Took my car in and they told me Paak module had a short, yada yada. My GOM is now getting lower, so I did the hold to factory reset and it only showed 260 at 100%, drove around again reset it and now 255. If I reset it, shouldn’t it go back to default 270?
There is no default range figure. Resetting the history just zeros out the driving data so the GOM will need new data for the range calculation.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
We don't know how the GOM works, Ford never disclosed the algorithm. We only know that it's adaptive, based on your driving.
I stopped looking at those numbers long time ago. Because it doesn't matter for daily driving, and for a long trip it's quite imprecise anyway and road planner would schedule stops with sufficient margin. It looks the actual range is better in city driving and worse on highway compared to GOM. For the trips I've done so far it's been overly optimistic.

OP
OP
Strabismo

Strabismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
So here is what I am questioning now. I have a little over 4K miles. Before the dealer said I had the Paak short and they cleared like 25 error messages I instantly lost 50 miles of range and continue to lose mileage everyday. I was up to about 300 miles of range and now below 245. My daily commute I average about 4kwh. My driving habits haven’t changed and the weather has been cooler now than a month ago. The GOM shouldn’t be decreasing like this.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So here is what I am questioning now. I have a little over 4K miles. Before the dealer said I had the Paak short and they cleared like 25 error messages I instantly lost 50 miles of range and continue to lose mileage everyday. I was up to about 300 miles of range and now below 245. My daily commute I average about 4kwh. My driving habits haven’t changed and the weather has been cooler now than a month ago. The GOM shouldn’t be decreasing like this.
The IMPORTANT number is your mi/kwh, which is 4. Multiply your battery size by 4 to see the ACTUAL range you are getting. The Estimate the GOM shows doesn't have ANY bearing on how far the car will actually go.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
It's going to take 500+ miles of driving after the reset for it to settle down, and it will still vary from day to day. If you have the standard range battery 240 miles is a respectable range number. I would continue to ignore it for a few weeks. The PAAK update will not affect the actual drivable range of the car.

OP
OP
Strabismo

Strabismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
I have the AWD ER. When I had the PaaK software update done is when this all started. I received a powertrain failure message during the update, but was told it was because the tech had to disconnect the battery? Now I am having trouble getting it to charge properly.

kevC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD Preimum Carbon Gray
Country flag
I had to drive 87 miles to pick my dad up, drop him off at the airport, get to work, took 30% charge off which equates to 290 mi range. much better than the 270 advertised and really good for mostly highway driving. I am very content. Also raised my GOM a bit since it's definitely the most I've driven in one trip.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I have the AWD ER. When I had the PaaK software update done is when this all started. I received a powertrain failure message during the update, but was told it was because the tech had to disconnect the battery? Now I am having trouble getting it to charge properly.
Good morning. Would you please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage so we can look into the PAAK issue for you? I'd love to help you sort this out so you can get back to driving your Mach E carefree!

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
The IMPORTANT number is your mi/kwh, which is 4. Multiply your battery size by 4 to see the ACTUAL range you are getting. The Estimate the GOM shows doesn't have ANY bearing on how far the car will actually go.
I have anecdotal evidence that the M/kWh “meter” isn’t terribly accurate either.

if I put my car in Engage +L, and use ICC, on the way to and from work, it shows 3.8 M/kWh and uses a total of 22% of the battery capacity. Those numbers make sense for a 71 mile round trip in a 4X. However if I change only the Engage for Unbridled, leaving everything else the same, it shows anywhere between 4.3 and 5.2 M/kWh. That’s awesome! More fun to drive AND better mileage? Not so fast. When I do this, it shows 24% battery draining the round trip. That math doesn’t add up.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have anecdotal evidence that the M/kWh “meter” isn’t terribly accurate either.

if I put my car in Engage +L, and use ICC, on the way to and from work, it shows 3.8 M/kWh and uses a total of 22% of the battery capacity. Those numbers make sense for a 71 mile round trip in a 4X. However if I change only the Engage for Unbridled, leaving everything else the same, it shows anywhere between 4.3 and 5.2 M/kWh. That’s awesome! More fun to drive AND better mileage? Not so fast. When I do this, it shows 24% battery draining the round trip. That math doesn’t add up.
OK, but given how much battery it used and how far you went you can manually compute mi/kwh. One thing to note about the tripometer is that it doesn't always "reset" properly. I've had issues with the mi/kwh value essentially "freezing" and never changing. When you reset the tripometer if the mi/kwh displays 99.9 then it reset properly; if it shows any other value then that value will be displayed indefinitely.

Nonetheless, the point is that the GOM is very inaccurate, perhaps the tripometer isn't always better but certainly what matters is the efficiency you actually get not what the estimated range is.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
OK, but given how much battery it used and how far you went you can manually compute mi/kwh. One thing to note about the tripometer is that it doesn't always "reset" properly. I've had issues with the mi/kwh value essentially "freezing" and never changing. When you reset the tripometer if the mi/kwh displays 99.9 then it reset properly; if it shows any other value then that value will be displayed indefinitely.

Nonetheless, the point is that the GOM is very inaccurate, perhaps the tripometer isn't always better but certainly what matters is the efficiency you actually get not what the estimated range is.
Part of the issue is that we get crap information about battery levels. To be fair, Ford doesn’t tell drivers how many gallons of gasoline are in their tanks either, but this is a paradigm change for us, it needs to be one for them too.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Have you figured anything out on this? I am having the EXACT same issues, minus having the Paak update. My ER AWD suddenly lost about 100 miles on the GOM, with no changes to environmental or driving characteristics. Charging has slowed considerably. I understand that it's called a GOM for a reason, but 100 mile range loss on the meter, out of nowhere, seems to point to a problem. Best GOM I get now is about 230.
Sponsored