GONNA PASS: Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2021 MME Premium tomorrow THOUGHTS?

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
Got excited and didn't realize it doesn't apply for tax credit being a 2021 model. Doesn't make it worth the mark up. Gonna pass on this one. Thanks for those who chimed in. Mods feel free to delete this pots.

So I was originally planning to order a 2023 MME Premium or GT next month, but after a variety of discussion on another thread I started, it became clear the GT was out of reach financially and the Premium would be a better fit anyhow.

Then discussion of price hikes coming in 2023 models with inflation etc, and delays to actually get one meaning I would likely miss out on most if not all of the tax credit started me down the road of trying to find one now, even with the ADM.

I called around a dozen dealerships today and only one had a MME in stock and it was a Select model, RWD SR battery and they were asking $58k. Didn't have the 360 pano, Blue Cruise, glass roof etc. all features I want, especially in a car that price point. Only other MME's were GT's going for $86k+.

I expanded my search further and called some more, then late this evening I found a dealer 2.5hrs north of me that had a super clean star white metallic 2021 MME Premium with onyx interior and only 830 miles on it for $62,991. Its a single owner, clean car fax car, and when I called, they actually had it in stock, and that was their out the door number before TTL. It has the glass roof, 360 pano, blue cruise, motorized lift gate, etc. etc. pretty much exactly what I would order a 2023 to have.

I'm seriously toying with driving up there tomorrow in my 2009 Corolla and making the deal. I can put $10k down, and trade in the Corolla, then the tax credit (should) be full $7500 and I'll get essentially the car I would've ordered and waited 8-12 months for now. While $63k is inflated, I don't think I'll be able to get into a 2023 model for under $65k with estimated increases, then take into consideration I can get the $7500 tax credit here too, it makes it a bit more appealing.

Am I crazy? What am I missing?

Only real cons I see here are:
-Its a 2021 model so some warranty is gone
-It wasn't my first choice in color whereas if I order one I can get exactly what I want. But I do still like the white.
-Obviously it is marked up, but that is also the market today. Sure beats the $58k for a select with no options.
-SR Battery. Although for how we'll use this rig, it really won't make much of a difference and we have two other rigs for road trips.

Pro's:
-Tax credit (EDIT: Brought to my attention, its a used car - won't apply for tax credit)
-Car now
-It is essentially what I would order a 2023 model to be, except different color (love the grabber blue).

THOUGHTS??
Sponsored

Last edited:

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
Do it! You wonā€™t regret it.

Travman1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mazda 3
Country flag
Sounds likes its used, so you wouldnā€™t qualify for the tax credit.

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds likes its used, so you wouldnā€™t qualify for the tax credit.
Tax credit for used car? Interesting. I think only new car have tax credit.
DOH! ....and that is what I'm missing. Duh, a used car won't work for the tax credit. Dang it.

So tax credit out of the equation. Thoughts on the deal without?

Jax_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT (Build in progress)
Country flag
I'd wait, but I'm cheap like that. Sticker for my GT is $66,665. After tax credit I'm looking at $59,165 plus another few hundred from state. If you're going to pay a hefty price for a premium, look for a new one with markup under the tax credit amount. I have a dealer that's called me multiple times trying to offload any new Premiums they get at "only" $5000 ADM instead of the normal $10,000 they charge.

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Take in consideration how many cars are sold after owners give up with all recalls and other issues Iā€™ll never buy used one. Especially in this hot market with overpriced cars and no tax credit. Iā€™ll wait when order bank opens, put an order and while waiting will search for canceled order. Last week I received a call from dealer about canceled order white 2022 GTPE for less then $70k with no markup. Good things happens just be patient. Good luck!

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd wait, but I'm cheap like that. Sticker for my GT is $66,665. After tax credit I'm looking at $59,165 plus another few hundred from state. If you're going to pay a hefty price for a premium, look for a new one with markup under the tax credit amount. I have a dealer that's called me multiple times trying to offload any new Premiums they get at "only" $5000 ADM instead of the normal $10,000 they charge.
Yeah overlooking the 2021 aspect and no tax credit, its a no go. I msg'd the sales guy to let him know I won't be coming up tommorow since it doesn't apply for tax credit, and he asked what if they could lower the price. I told him to hit me up in the morning with their best offer knowing I'll trade in a 2009 Corolla, and there is another dealer with a 22 on the other side of the state that has the extended range battery for $63k (I just found it online - 4hr drive, but I msg'd them)

Jax_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah overlooking the 2021 aspect and no tax credit, its a no go. I msg'd the sales guy to let him know I won't be coming up tommorow since it doesn't apply for tax credit, and he asked what if they could lower the price. I told him to hit me up in the morning with their best offer knowing I'll trade in a 2009 Corolla, and there is another dealer with a 22 on the other side of the state that has the extended range battery for $63k (I just found it online - 4hr drive, but I msg'd them)
With used car prices all crazy right now, you'll get hit on the buying side, but if they come down a bit and you get a favorable number on the trade, you could be in better shape.

You'd be surprised at how many of these hit the lots. Sure it's not as many as "normal" cars, but if you keep feelers out I bet you'll find something. Especially if you're willing to travel a little and deal with a small ADM.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Really need to find out the warranty start date. Itā€™s low miles so possibly one of the last ā€˜21s, but if it is early last year, Iā€™d pass. You only get 3 years of bumper to bumper. But Iā€™d pass anyways because eff that ADM and no tax credit. Ooooof.

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got excited and didn't realize it doesn't apply for tax credit being a 2021 model. Doesn't make it worth the mark up. Gonna pass on this one. Thanks for those who chimed in. Mods feel free to delete this pots.

So I was originally planning to order a 2023 MME Premium or GT next month, but after a variety of discussion on another thread I started, it became clear the GT was out of reach financially and the Premium would be a better fit anyhow.

Then discussion of price hikes coming in 2023 models with inflation etc, and delays to actually get one meaning I would likely miss out on most if not all of the tax credit started me down the road of trying to find one now, even with the ADM.

I called around a dozen dealerships today and only one had a MME in stock and it was a Select model, RWD SR battery and they were asking $58k. Didn't have the 360 pano, Blue Cruise, glass roof etc. all features I want, especially in a car that price point. Only other MME's were GT's going for $86k+.

I expanded my search further and called some more, then late this evening I found a dealer 2.5hrs north of me that had a super clean star white metallic 2021 MME Premium with onyx interior and only 830 miles on it for $62,991. Its a single owner, clean car fax car, and when I called, they actually had it in stock, and that was their out the door number before TTL. It has the glass roof, 360 pano, blue cruise, motorized lift gate, etc. etc. pretty much exactly what I would order a 2023 to have.

I'm seriously toying with driving up there tomorrow in my 2009 Corolla and making the deal. I can put $10k down, and trade in the Corolla, then the tax credit (should) be full $7500 and I'll get essentially the car I would've ordered and waited 8-12 months for now. While $63k is inflated, I don't think I'll be able to get into a 2023 model for under $65k with estimated increases, then take into consideration I can get the $7500 tax credit here too, it makes it a bit more appealing.

Am I crazy? What am I missing?

Only real cons I see here are:
-Its a 2021 model so some warranty is gone
-It wasn't my first choice in color whereas if I order one I can get exactly what I want. But I do still like the white.
-Obviously it is marked up, but that is also the market today. Sure beats the $58k for a select with no options.
-SR Battery. Although for how we'll use this rig, it really won't make much of a difference and we have two other rigs for road trips.

Pro's:
-Tax credit (EDIT: Brought to my attention, its a used car - won't apply for tax credit)
-Car now
-It is essentially what I would order a 2023 model to be, except different color (love the grabber blue).

THOUGHTS??
So my thinking, orders open soon; maybe that takes a little wind out the sails for the dealers with $15-20k markupsā€¦hard to say tho. My order was/is select AWD that I upgraded with C/T package. Brought the price to $51k before ttl. Approx $9500 tax creditsā€¦ on top of that. So the math just doesnā€™t add up to me for for the car u are looking at, but I sense you are excited. Hope u get the one u want. Saw a beautiful grabber blue in my neighborhood todayā€¦

Jax_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So my thinking, orders open soon; maybe that takes a little wind out the sails for the dealers with $15-20k markupsā€¦hard to say tho. My order was/is select AWD that I upgraded with C/T package. Brought the price to $51k before ttl. Approx $9500 tax creditsā€¦ on top of that. So the math just doesnā€™t add up to me for for the car u are looking at, but I sense you are excited. Hope u get the one u want. Saw a beautiful grabber blue in my neighborhood todayā€¦
I agree, I can sense his excitement too. Itā€™s hard to deal with. I was super excited the first few days after order then tried to forget about the purchase. Five months flew by and now Iā€™m at build week and time has slowed again.
If you really want an MME you need patience or be prepared to pay to save time. Some donā€™t mind spending extra cash to get it now.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Just to be clear, the model year being 2021 has zero to do with tax credit eligibility. Used vehicles, regardless of model year, do not qualify.
Sponsored