Good read: The Mustang Mach-E Is a Litmus Test and All of Us Failed

AceSpades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang GT
Country flag
Bark’s Bites: The Mustang Mach-E Is a Litmus Test and All of Us Failed

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...mach-e-is-a-litmus-test-and-all-of-us-failed/

November 19, 2019

I’m so glad that the collective internet reacted calmly and rationally to the launch of the Mustang Mach-E yesterday. I was worried that people would succumb to the “Sucks or Rocks” philosophy that is so completely pervasive in not only automotive journalism but spreading throughout society at large. Thanks be to the God of your understanding, most people opted for a measured response to Ford’s first (relatively) high volume electric effort.

Nah, just kidding. Y’all went apeshit, just like Ford wanted you to.

I admit, as one of the very few automotive journalists who’s ever actually spent his own money on a brand-new Mustang, I overreacted a bit to the initial leaks, as well. You’re calling this coal-powered, ugly-ass, Tesla wannabe a MUSTANG? Go choke on Steve McQueen’s dong (as seen on Jalopnik)!

But the more I think about it, the more I understand that Ford did exactly the right thing by calling this new electrified crossover a Mustang. Read on.

Perhaps you’ve heard of this new anti-meth campaign that South Dakota has? The slogan is “Meth. We’re on it.” The general idea behind the campaign is that the State of South Dakota is taking care of, or “on,” the meth problem facing its residents. Now, as somebody who’s been in marketing for more than a decade, I would have initially said that this was a terrible idea, as the typical connotation associated with saying you’re on drugs is somewhat less than positive. Also, the State of South Dakota has not, historically, been great with advertising.

However, what are the chances that the Washington Post would ever write about the anti-drug campaign of South Dakota if it were conventional? Hell, my home commonwealth of Kentucky has one of the worst meth problems of any state in the union, and nobody wants to talk about it. So South Dakota, through unconventional methods, has gotten more buzz about their campaign than they ever could have through traditional means.

Ford found itself in a similar situation. While there’s no doubt that this, ahem, uniquely styled crossover would have garnered a significant amount of attention regardless of the nameplate, there was only one way to ensure that this thing broke the internet, and that was by attaching the most prominent model name in the history of American automotive manufacturing (fight me) to it. Everybody is talking about this car, and I don’t mean everybody in the automotive press. I mean almost literally everybody.

My social media feed has been overwhelmed by the Mach-E, with comments that are nearly exactly the opposite of what people who can’t afford and will never buy this car — the automotive press — are saying. People love the look. They’re fascinated by the performance numbers. They’re excited about the opportunity to own a “Mustang” that actually fits their needs. Four doors! All-wheel drive!

The chances of receiving this much buzz by calling it the “Ford E-Something-That-Starts-With-E-Because-It’s-a-Ford-CUV?” Zilch. Zero. Nada. And the risk? Also nearly none. Because none of the people bitching about the name were ever going to buy it, regardless of what you called it. But people who want a Mustang but couldn’t previously justify one because of their 2.2 kids, white picket fence, suburban lifestyle will be lining up. They’re gonna sell all they can make.

And here’s the even crazier thing. I might actually buy one for myself.

I mean, why the hell not? As Katt Williams might say, it does look like a Mustang, until a Mustang pulls up. The 0-60 numbers are quicker than anything my Boss 302 ever posted (no, I don’t care about 0-60, but everybody else does). It won’t be of any use whatsoever at the track, but neither is my Ford Flex, ya dig? And I can put my kids in it, and they’ll like that it’s a Mustang, just like the yellow one Daddy used to have. And with the federal tax credit I’ll be getting, I can even afford to install a charger in my house without selling my soul to the devil.

Plus, let’s not forget that they’re still more than happy to sell you a gas-powered, supercharged, V8, two-door Mustang if you want one. Which, of course, nobody actually does.

So just stop it, okay? If you don’t like the EcoStangMachBoostE, then don’t buy one. Better yet, stop talking about it. If you’re really angry about something on the internet, the worst possible way to protest it is to click it, share it, and comment on it. But Ford was counting on you doing exactly that, and y’all fell for it. The only fool that you’re fooling is the fool that is you.

Now, please excuse me while I make my reservation. Wait, what? They put a GT badge on that rolling abortion? Oh, hell nah!
Sponsored

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
An electric Ford GT should be built. That will shut you guys up.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
I like this because it is so freaking true

So just stop it, okay? If you don’t like the EcoStangMachBoostE, then don’t buy one. Better yet, stop talking about it. If you’re really angry about something on the internet, the worst possible way to protest it is to click it, share it, and comment on it. But Ford was counting on you doing exactly that, and y’all fell for it. The only fool that you’re fooling is the fool that is you.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Falcon
Country flag
Mustang enthusiasts should be the last people to complain about this being called a Mustang. This is a smash hit. People are going to line up for it and that means a healthier Ford, and a healthier Ford means the Mustang's future budgets are also healthier.

If Ford said they're replacing the coupe with this SUV then, yeah, they have every right to be upset.

Also, the fact Mustang has been promoted to brand-status is like a badge of honour. How many other models throughout history have achieved this? Porsche's 911's design cues were carried over to the Cayenne and Panamera, but they weren't called 911, simply because Porsche was basically the 911 company with very few other models over the decades.
Lamborghini made an SUV with heavy Lambo elements, but none of their products ever carried the same name anyway. That's right, your beloved Mustang has achieved a status that no other product has. I'm happy to ne corrected. That is something every Mustang lover should be proud of.

falcon lover

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes-Benz A180
Occupation
Medical Doctor
Country flag
This is a Mustang. The Mustang for the future. Ford is not waiting to the date when nobody whant to buy the traditional RWD, front gasoline engine, 2 door coupe/convertible to think what to do with the Mustang brand. Ford is launching the car that, eventually (in 5, 8, 10 or 15 years....who know?) will be the current ICE Mustang´s replacement.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
With platform sharing a 2 door coupe could be built on the Mach E's chassis all tough it would need to be shorten.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
With platform sharing a 2 door coupe could be built on the Mach E's chassis all tough it would need to be shorten.
The only problem with it being shorter would be limited space for a larger battery pack. Unless the batteries became more efficient, or smaller, it would need to have a little length for the batteries.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Mustang enthusiasts should be the last people to complain about this being called a Mustang. This is a smash hit. People are going to line up for it and that means a healthier Ford, and a healthier Ford means the Mustang's future budgets are also healthier.

If Ford said they're replacing the coupe with this SUV then, yeah, they have every right to be upset.

Also, the fact Mustang has been promoted to brand-status is like a badge of honour. How many other models throughout history have achieved this? Porsche's 911's design cues were carried over to the Cayenne and Panamera, but they weren't called 911, simply because Porsche was basically the 911 company with very few other models over the decades.
Lamborghini made an SUV with heavy Lambo elements, but none of their products ever carried the same name anyway. That's right, your beloved Mustang has achieved a status that no other product has. I'm happy to ne corrected. That is something every Mustang lover should be proud of.
I totally agree!

BTW, also, I believe Ford will be doing the same with the Bronco "brand". They have already said there will be a smaller CUV sized version. Maybe even electric which will not be off road capable. Gee, you gotta wonder if the Mach-e's underpinnings will be used.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Good read: The Mustang Mach-E Is a Litmus Test and All of Us Failed bronco_ev

GM has made statements recently about creating a Corvette brand. Wow, you think Mustang owners are vocal. :p

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I would think the EV Bronco would be able to be offroaded. Especially if they tap into their investment in Rivian (which can go through something like 3 feet of standing water).

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
I would think the EV Bronco would be able to be offroaded. Especially if they tap into their investment in Rivian (which can go through something like 3 feet of standing water).
I just going by the rumors I've read about the smaller Ford Bronco. Earlier this year, Ford dealers were given a sneak peak (as they probably did for the Mach-e) and their were leaks reported.
Sponsored