Got Blue Cruise ... now what ???

• Thread starter Deleted member 3569
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 3569

My BlueCruise arrived magocally and it is marvelous ... albeit somewhat temperamental and finicky at best ... but nevertheless it works!

It was happiest when I set to the posted speed limit, i.e. it was silky smooth, attentative in heavy and surprisingly stable. When I set to higher than speed limit it was a tad more coarse and abrupt. It has tedency to loose the tract whenever you are on right lane and at entrances, I guess the right lane stripping vanishes to allow for incoming traffic. It was steadfast and much more stable whenever you are in center lane. I haven't tried on left lane yet, because the jerks here in FL highway will tailgate if you are not over speeding.

One question I have is how do I find out which highways are "BlueCruise" highways? ... or does it matter? I tried on FL408 which is a toll road and it worked quite well, but not on a local divided road way (535) in front of my subdivision, nor it would work on 50 (Colonial Dr) a highway that traverses from West to East Orlando even though at certain stretches it was quite rural.

My take is that BlueCruise is a tool to assist in long drives, but it is not a "full self drive" feature. It will require your constant attention, and at curves specially at high speeds it can be unnerving and wobbly.

Will it be worth to pay for subscription after initial annual offer? I really don't know ... right at its current usability, to me it is more of a fad than a necessity.

bCrz(2).jpg
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Maps due soon. Not supposed to be self driving.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Maps due soon. Not supposed to be self driving.
Agreed. Itā€™s ā€œhands free lane centering.ā€ Itā€™s a drivers aid (like intelligent cruise) and not meant to replace you. If you see something ahead and should take overā€¦.. take over. Just like you donā€™t wait for your cruise control to slam the brakes, donā€™t wait for Bluecruise to swerve.

Nowhere is it advertised as ā€œself driving.ā€

Full ā€œself drivingā€ doesnā€™t exist in any production cars anyways.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
They still have yet to release a map, but the best we've gotten is "divided highways with limited access (on ramps and off ramps)"

OP
OP

Deleted member 3569

.... but the best we've gotten is "divided highways with limited access (on ramps and off ramps)"
You have to be on a "mapped" divided highway cruising otherwise it reverts to the functionality of Adaptive Cruise ... so far did not attempt lane changes and off ramp ability.

Tried again today and it is much better, set at posted speed limit and no passing. It tracks well and it is a lot more responsive and smooth than before the OTA v. 2.8.2 update.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3569

Agreed. Itā€™s ā€œhands free lane centering.ā€ Itā€™s a drivers aid (like intelligent cruise) and not meant to replace you. If you see something ahead and should take overā€¦.. take over. Just like you donā€™t wait for your cruise control to slam the brakes, donā€™t wait for Bluecruise to swerve.
Don't get me wrong, BlueCruise is by far more superior to any previous dynamic cruise control I have driven ... It is responsive and it will keep good control, I noticed this as I was engulfed in the rush hour traffic by downtown Orlando ... the vehicle smoothly slowed down and it adjusted speed seamlessly as people were cutting in front of me ...there was notjerky movement as in Adaptive Cruise mode, and it accelerated to the set speed as soon the the slow vehicle in front moved away.

Now, it did swerve when I first activated it yesteday, and it was sort of "hunting" for the center of the lane, but after 30 minutes or so, and this morning it didn't do that ... "learning" how to drive in blueCruise ... and also I was more confident too without the wifey in car who was absolutely freaking out !!!

OP
OP

Deleted member 3569

Donā€˜t bother trying. Those are not current abilities.
That what I had suspected ... it is a good safe system. It warned me every time I attempted to do a video (I guess my eyeballs were hidden by the phone) ... but it is not a Tesla autoPilot !!!

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
There is no full self driving; you must pay attention. Even Tesla's "Full Self Driving" is still a Level 2 system, the exact same as BlueCruise. Sure, it "does more" and takes much greater risks when doing its thing, but it still fails to be a driver inattentive thing. BlueCruise is just being honest, if not much more conservative.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3569

There is no full self driving; you must pay attention. Even Tesla's "Full Self Driving" is still a Level 2 system, the exact same as BlueCruise. Sure, it "does more" and takes much greater risks when doing its thing, but it still fails to be a driver inattentive thing. BlueCruise is just being honest, if not much more conservative.
Even though it is finicky and temperamental the WOW factor is still there, it is by far more fun to engage blueCruise driving, and it is certainly a topic of conversation when hold your Coca Cola in one hand and dig other hand in a bag of potato bag! ... the look of your passenger is just priceless !!!

OP
OP

Deleted member 3569

This is what is so confusing ... I drove more than 45 minutes on FL408 a toll divided restricted highway in Central FL ... and it is not mapped as BlueCruise highway. The BlueCruise was fully functional and needed minimal input other than at on ramp areas where the left stripping is missing and you are traveling on right lane.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Even though it is finicky and temperamental the WOW factor is still there, it is by far more fun to engage blueCruise driving, and it is certainly a topic of conversation when hold your Coca Cola in one hand and dig other hand in a bag of potato bag! ... the look of your passenger is just priceless !!!
My Wife is NOT looking forward to this!! Lol

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
This is what is so confusing ... I drove more than 45 minutes on FL408 a toll divided restricted highway in Central FL ... and it is not mapped as BlueCruise highway. The BlueCruise was fully functional and needed minimal input other than at on ramp areas where the left stripping is missing and you are traveling on right lane.
The map that was posted is the original old map.

No need to be confused, Ford keeps adding roads. This is a good thing.

Whatā€™s missing (and still a head scratcher as to why) is an in vehicle interactive map that tells you which roads are blue cruise capable.

That should have been included day 1. Clearly the car knows, so why doesnā€™t it tell us??
Sponsored