malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Using the estimated output and best-guesstimates for my Mach E usage post-pandemic, I'm probably still going to buy about 600 kwh a year from PSE&G if everything else stays the same. Without adding the extra 4500kwh cushion for the Mach E I'd end up buying about 5000kwh from them.

Even if my solar produces more than I use, I'd like to switch my hot water heater from gas to electric and augment my gas furnace with electric spaceheaters in the winter.
I don't know your exact rates in NJ, but in NY the natural gas prices vs electricity are so low that it is not worth it from a cost standpoint to use heat pumps and electric water heaters.. It is also very likely that your system will produce more than the rated amount. For example I have a 11,050 kwh system and it produced 14,940 kwh last year - I am in southern NY.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't know your exact rates in NJ, but in NY the natural gas prices vs electricity are so low that it is not worth it from a cost standpoint to use heat pumps and electric water heaters.. It is also very likely that your system will produce more than the rated amount. For example I have a 11,050 kwh system and it produced 14,940 kwh last year - I am in southern NY.
yes, but I bought the panels to reduce my carbon footprint. If I don't use all of the electricity, then I'll turn down my gas heater and use some small space heaters to make up the difference this coming winter. If after a couple of years I still am not using all I produce I'll consider changing over some other appliances. I am also talking my wife into a PHEV at the least, or a BEV at the best.

In the end, I am not worried about selling my excess to PSE&G for the wholesale rate - I'll find ways to use it to reduce my carbon footprint further.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
In the end, I am not worried about selling my excess to PSE&G for the wholesale rate - I'll find ways to use it to reduce my carbon footprint further.
[/QUOTE]

Even if your exported, unused power isn't reducing your carbon footprint, it is reducing your power company's.

Mach e Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e. F-150 Powerboost
Country flag
This is simplistic but true nonetheless: Go Solar because....Cost of system out of pocket was $26,000 (10KW) Tax Credits $11,760 (NYS and Fed). Cost now $14,240. I save $200/mo on electric bill and $100/mo on gasoline (with my EV) I save ~$3600.Yr. 14,240/3600=3.9 years for system payback and it's all gravy from there. Of course you have to use the tax credits to make it work etc. You can also claim part of reroofing on your spend. Lots of little details but as I said. This is the simplistic version.

medicnj

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge, Ford Mach E Star White
Occupation
EMT
Country flag
I got my car in February, and have been intentionally driving over 1000 miles a month. We are getting solar, and our electric company typically won't let you hook up more solar capacity than you used over the prior year. They make exceptions if you add an electric car, so I wanted to make sure to up our usage so it was easier to justify the increased panel capacity to cover the car charging.

Anyway, typically the winter months our electric bill is pretty low and my wife had a fit when she opened the electric bill and it said that our electric use had gone up 40%. BUT, when I pointed out that the actual cost was $20 LESS than I would have paid for gas she calmed down.

When we finally get the solar system installed and start collecting the energy credits from NJ she will be much happier. The rate from PSE&G is around $0.18 per kwh, but with the energy credits and cost of panels combined we'll be paying $0.10 per kwh. She'll be much happier then :)

NJ here too with Solar. My bill from April - Oct is typically zero with credits going back to PSEG. I wish I could have put in more panels though, think it's BS that they don't let you. You are helping them and they buy electric from the homeowner at a fraction of what they sell it at. did I mention I pay zero in electric 8 months a year and with SREC's ( NJ peeps know what this is ) it pays for my natural gas usage too :) You'll love Solar with SREC's !!!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

NJ here too with Solar. My bill from April - Oct is typically zero with credits going back to PSEG. I wish I could have put in more panels though, think it's BS that they don't let you. You are helping them and they buy electric from the homeowner at a fraction of what they sell it at. did I mention I pay zero in electric 8 months a year and with SREC's ( NJ peeps know what this is ) it pays for my natural gas usage too :) You'll love Solar with SREC's !!!
Last year NJ switched from the SREC program to what they are calling TRECs, which have a fixed price of $92 per mwh for residential. For some reason commercial solar panel customers get $150 per mwh generated.

Still, I think I'll be very happy with solar. We got what are called "solid black" backlit panels, and from the ground that's what they look like. Up close you can see the small silver leads, but from the ground they look pretty nice.

My wife says they "don't look horrible" :)

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
I've been getting a shade less than 4 mpKwh, so that works out to about $0.02/mile since we pay about $0.08/kWh. We drive about 1500 miles per month in the Mach-E, so that works out to about $30/month to feed it.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I told a nay-sayer friend that my wife and I had ordered two Mach Es. After answering..."What's that?" He said that his friend's electric bill tripled when he bought an electric car. I shot back "Then he must have been paying a fortune for gas. I'll bet he's glad he's not paying OPEC his hard earned money now, huh?"

It's really stupid to say that someone's electric bill tripled, but this is the fight we've got.

Dylancch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
We put 5000km on the car since March and spent another 5000 on solar, so my electricity bill hasn't went up at all, love it

medicnj

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge, Ford Mach E Star White
Occupation
EMT
Country flag
Last year NJ switched from the SREC program to what they are calling TRECs, which have a fixed price of $92 per mwh for residential. For some reason commercial solar panel customers get $150 per mwh generated.

Still, I think I'll be very happy with solar. We got what are called "solid black" backlit panels, and from the ground that's what they look like. Up close you can see the small silver leads, but from the ground they look pretty nice.

My wife says they "don't look horrible" :)
ok, didn't know that,,,, thanks,,,

OldBlueMME

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Ext, 2023 Yamaha MTO9
Country flag
A full month cost me right at $26.00 dollars. My commute is less than 5 miles to work, but I'm on the go quite a bit during the week and especially on the weekends. I'm only charging once a week right now, unless I know of a some special plans.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
In the NorCal region, if you own an EV, you can have a second meter installed for the EV and be billed using a time-of-use plan. if you charge between 11 pm and 7 am, you pay $0.14 per kWh., which is about 60% of their lowest tiered rate. Of course, on top of this rate is the "generator" bill, which adds an additional ~$0.09 per kWh, but this is independent of tier and plan.

Anyone have experience installing a Tesla solar system? Would be interested in feedback on how that went.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
In the NorCal region, if you own an EV, you can have a second meter installed for the EV and be billed using a time-of-use plan. if you charge between 11 pm and 7 am, you pay $0.14 per kWh., which is about 60% of their lowest tiered rate. Of course, on top of this rate is the "generator" bill, which adds an additional ~$0.09 per kWh, but this is independent of tier and plan.

Anyone have experience installing a Tesla solar system? Would be interested in feedback on how that went.
A second meter just for charging the car on a TOU plan makes a lot of sense. Here in NJ PSE&G hasn't figured that out yet; if you want a TOU plan then the whole structure has to be on one - if you have 2 meters then they BOTH have to be TOU. The TOU schedule is peak from 7AM to 9PM - which is equally ludicrous. At least that's how it was over a year ago when I called to figure out the best way to pay for charging

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Mine, Maine for two EV's in the driveway as of May 21 (Mach E purchase Date).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Got my first electric bill.... share yours chargin

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I joked about Intermountain Flash & Flicker as my electric supplier and it has come back to haunt me. Last night as I was doing the last oil change in my SVT Contour I heard a loud bang and the power went out for the whole street. The transformer between our house and our neighbors blew up. They finished replacing at 3:10 this morning. Learned a few things - there are 7200 volt supply lines to the transformer and can supply 1000 amps to the house. It makes me wonder when we will have DCFC at home for things like the F150 lightning or multiple BEV families.

It also made me want to get solar with a battery sooner than later. Watching these guys poking into the transformer box with 6 foot fiberglass poles did not inspire confidence. Plus, IREA has no TOU pricing or plans to do this and it took a 35 year old transformer failing to get any maintenance on the equipment here.
Sponsored