GPS no longer working? Car thinks I am miles away and going the opposite direction!

WattPony

First Name
Delana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium Extended Range AWD
Occupation
Higher Ed Administrator
Country flag
Background:
2022 MME Premium, Extended Battery
Built-in July 2022, received in August 2022
6000 miles
Sync 4 software revision 539
Started Saturday, randomly. No update on the night before, already has all updates
Android Auto
Not parked under trees, nothing blocking signal
Tried the reset (volume down and forward seek for 10 seconds) about 10 times, with phones connected and with phones disconnected. Found that trick in the forums, but didn't work.
GPS issue also causes Google maps on Android and Apple Car Play to go haywire when connected to the car. Apps function fine with completely disconnected (Wi-Fi off, Bluetooth off, android auto or apple play phone disconnected)
The car attempted to charge to 100% at home last night instead of 90% I am guessing because it didn't know it was at the home charger. I saw where someone named a second charger at the "bad home" location to force that to fix, but still, I shouldn't have to do that with a new $60K car!

Briefly, after the volume down/seek forward reset, the car will find its place, then as you drive, within a minute you are driving off a cliff or into a lake
Interference with the phone makes all navigation unusable. Phone just constantly spins on google maps, and cannot find the car at all when connected.

Should I try the factory reset? Uninstall Ford Sync from the phone, and Uninstall and reinstall Android Auto (also affects Apple phone we tried, so???)
Will the dealer be able to assist, or do I call someone else?

Needs to go to the dealer for the door sensor fault issue as well, but it's just so inconvenient, was hoping to make it to the 10K service and go at one time....alas, probably not.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
When it happens go into the bezel diagnostics and look at the satellite status and the interference/jamming present parameter. It’s still unknown why only some cars have this issue. Another one you can try when it happens is putting your phone in airplane mode or shut it completely off to see if that changes anything.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
If you're having issues with your car's GPS and also issues on an iPhone and Android phone - the issue is that you aren't getting a good GPS signal where you are, not an issue with your car. Your car doesn't impact your phone's location in any way.

OP
OP
WattPony

WattPony

First Name
Delana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Higher Ed Administrator
Country flag
When it happens go into the bezel diagnostics and look at the satellite status and the interference/jamming present parameter. It’s still unknown why only some cars have this issue. Another one you can try when it happens is putting your phone in airplane mode or shut it completely off to see if that changes anything.

When you go to that bezel diagnostics setting, what are you looking for and what can you reset? Am I looking for something specific, or will it be obvious that there is a problem? Thanks!

OP
OP
WattPony

WattPony

First Name
Delana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Higher Ed Administrator
Country flag
If you're having issues with your car's GPS and also issues on an iPhone and Android phone - the issue is that you aren't getting a good GPS signal where you are, not an issue with your car. Your car doesn't impact your phone's location in any way.
oh, but it does! When the phone is connected to the car, the GPS on the phone is whacked! When completely disconnected it is FINE! Both phones are perfectly fine and able to navigate when not connected to the car (airplane mode, Android auto off, wifi off, bluetooth off....not at all connected!)

Somehow they are reading/interfering with each other. There is no reason for this to start randomly!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Happened to me. After walking away for a while and trying later it went back to normal.

OP
OP
WattPony

WattPony

First Name
Delana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Higher Ed Administrator
Country flag
Happened to me. After walking away for a while and trying later it went back to normal.
Unfortunately, its been 3 days and just as bad.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It’s still unknown why only some cars have this issue.
I'm wondering if this is fixed in the recent SYNC updates ("Power-Up 3.5.*")? I haven't had the GPS problem reoccur since then, I think.

I've been keeping the built in nav zoomed in a bit more than typical so I can more easily notice if the car thinks it's moved to nearby neighborhood streets while I'm on the highway.

Your car doesn't impact your phone's location in any way.
This is not true.

Same. But as I said above, I haven't had this reoccur since the 3.5 (3.6?) Power-Ups.

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
This happened to me many years ago. Couldn’t find my wife, used “Find My Friends”, it told me she was at the business of the guy she’s married to now. She insisted she wasn’t there. Never found out what the glitch was with her GPS.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
When you go to that bezel diagnostics setting, what are you looking for and what can you reset? Am I looking for something specific, or will it be obvious that there is a problem? Thanks!
Hold down vol – and left arrow. I think it’s under APIM diagnostics. Normally you should see a half dozen or more satellites with good signal bars.

Also post your SYNC version for reference.

OP
OP
WattPony

WattPony

First Name
Delana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Higher Ed Administrator
Country flag
Hold down vol – and left arrow. I think it’s under APIM diagnostics. Normally you should see a half dozen or more satellites with good signal bars.

Also post your SYNC version for reference.
Thanks. I'll check that. On phone with the dealer...appointments are few and far between, they think they will need to keep the car and no loaner is available!!! Ridiculous!

ETA: SYNC is Sync 4 Version 22228_Product Revision 539

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thanks. I'll check that. On phone with the dealer...appointments are few and far between, they think they will need to keep the car and no loaner is available!!! Ridiculous!

ETA: SYNC is Sync 4 Version 22228_Product Revision 539
Why is it ridiculous? Did you not know that the warranty doesn't include loaners? Did you negotiate a loaner as part of your deal (I did)?

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
oh, but it does! When the phone is connected to the car, the GPS on the phone is whacked! When completely disconnected it is FINE! Both phones are perfectly fine and able to navigate when not connected to the car (airplane mode, Android auto off, wifi off, bluetooth off....not at all connected!)

Somehow they are reading/interfering with each other. There is no reason for this to start randomly!
When you are using android auto or carplay, the car sends GPS location to the phone to save phone battery... when the car GPS is wrong, it sends the wrong info to your phone.

It's a code problem. I find reboot sync only occasionally fixes it.

Be aware, that when this happens, home charging settings will not work. Nor will Blue Cruise.

OP
OP
WattPony

WattPony

First Name
Delana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Higher Ed Administrator
Country flag
When you are using android auto or carplay, the car sends GPS location to the phone to save phone battery... when the car GPS is wrong, it sends the wrong info to your phone.

It's a code problem. I find reboot sync only occasionally fixes it.

Be aware, that when this happens, home charging settings will not work. Nor will Blue Cruise.
Yes, my home charging setting didn't work correctly last night. Blue cruise seemed to work fine yesterday though, weird!
Sponsored