Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium Nite Pony 2023
Occupation
NA
Country flag
I purchased a 2021 Mustang Mach-E California Rt1 which arrived at the end of October. The Mach-E provides a great driving experience except for the Graphical User Interface (GUI) which is not only poorly designed but organized so that operating it is a safety hazard to drivers. In addition, many times trying to actuate a function through the screen does not produce a response. The navigation sequences are very poorly organized as is use of the screen area and placement of the control buttons. Switching between functions while driving is awkward. . Operating the whole HVAC system with the GUI is not easy. For whatever reason, the system keeps turning off the internal air recirculation function which wastes energy. Fortunately I discovered the defroster actually has its own mechanical button on the dashboard to the left of the exterior lighting controls but is nowhere mentioned in the manual.

It appears the system may have been designed for smaller screens and the software design does not allow for adaptive scaling. I suspect the software design team doesn’t actually drive the cars with their GUI software?

One would think Ford would create a mechanism for owners to provide constructive input to the GUI design team for future improvement regarding screen organization and navigation sequences.?

With the evolving competitiveness of the EV market, it will be a shame if Ford looses sales because of the GUI design and operation.
Sponsored

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
I have no problem with the infotainment GUI, aside from
-Infrequent slowness shortly after startup
-Seater should toggle between the three levels with each press (rather than bringing up a slider)
-More physical buttons is always better

Fortunately I discovered the defroster actually has its own mechanical button on the dashboard to the left of the exterior lighting controls but is nowhere mentioned in the manual.
Yes it is. Page 128.

It appears the system may have been designed for smaller screens and the software design does not allow for adaptive scaling.
I may be misunderstanding, but are you saying you want text/buttons to be even smaller? That sounds like it's gonna be fun to read/click while the car's moving...

I suspect the software design team doesn’t actually drive the cars with their GUI software?
Are you saying you honestly think Ford develops their infotainment GUI and then never tests it while driving?

One would think Ford would create a mechanism for owners to provide constructive input to the GUI design team for future improvement regarding screen organization and navigation sequences.?
If your feedback would be "Make the buttons smaller", while simultaneously saying the current GUI is a "safety" issue, I'm glad they don't.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
To each their own I suppose. https://fordauthority.com/2021/10/ford-mustang-mach-e-is-a-2021-wards-10-best-ux-winner/

Although that award includes other interior things not just the screen. They used a human-centered design techniques when developing the screen. I think its very good, including the fact it doesn't need a back button because you don't get lost 5 levels deep into menus.

I would like it to be faster on startup for sure.

There are lots of discussions here on the recirc turning off.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Have you been in a Telsa?

If you think it should be better why don't you design it and post it here so that they could draw inspiration. Some of us have created widgets etc along these lines. Don't just complain, help make it better!

You said "GUI" like 10 times, would your rather a "CLI"?

Last edited:

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I'm sure any user interface can see improvement but in my limited experience all the functions I use while driving are easy to operate.

Volume, radio channel, temperature, all either have a physical knob/button or are one press on the screen.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
You said "GUI" like 10 times, would your rather a "CLI"?
I would love a CLI or TUI.

Profiles seem so fickle as to what settings stick with the user and what with the last driver, etc... A cli could fix that.

A TUI would make for nice easy menu choices much better than silly sliders on a moving vehicle.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

Profiles seem so fickle as to what settings stick with the user and what with the last driver, etc... A cli could fix that.

A TUI would make for nice easy menu choices much better than silly sliders on a moving vehicle.
You guys make me laugh ?

So your proposal is a text based interface?

My CLI comment was a way for me to deal with my inner eye roll. Of course everyone is different, but in my world we wouldn't refer to something as a GUI unless it has a CLI counterpart, i.e. Linux, security appliances etc. For devices such as the car or multimedia interface we would normally just say UI, which is a device that allows interfacing with a compute unit. Saying GUI 10 times just makes me think of that sales guy or exec that "knows" the product.

All that being said I still think that if you want changes then propose them. There's a thread here where people proposed changes for FordPass. Although I disagreed with their mockups I commend the effort!

I'll leave now ?

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
If you experienced Sync / Sync 2, you’d be thrilled to have what we got in the MME! ?
Huh? MyFordTouch (Sync 2-ish?) was fantastic, except for the extreme sluggishness, crashes require fuse resets, slow USB updates, smaller set of capabilities, lack of Android Auto, and the sunsetted dial up modem bank. Other than that it was fine. ?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

I want to be able to ssh into Sync 4 so that I can make minute adjustments to obscure parameters while I’m driving at 65 mph in my non-BlueCruise equipped car ??????

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I want to be able to ssh into Sync 4 so that I can make minute adjustments to obscure parameters while I’m driving at 65 mph in my non-BlueCruise equipped car ??????
Please use preshared keys. I do not want you risking your life typing in your complex 62 character password.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Please use preshared keys. I do not want you risking your life typing in your complex 62 character password.
Oh, don’t worry, I store all my passwords in keychain on my MacBook and I authenticate using my Apple Watch ? I’ve repeatedly said I’ve completely guzzled all of Apple’s Kool-Aid (except for that vile abomination called “CarPlay”. That must have been developed by a bunch of stoned Microsoft interns as a joke when Tim wasn’t looking).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Huh? MyFordTouch (Sync 2-ish?) was fantastic, except for the extreme sluggishness, crashes require fuse resets, slow USB updates, smaller set of capabilities, lack of Android Auto, and the sunsetted dial up modem bank. Other than that it was fine. ?
“Other than the gunfire, how’d you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?”
?

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
What options are you using while driving? I almost never touch the screen while driving and can do almost everything I want via voice of buttons on the steering wheel.
Sponsored