Great e-heat tip from YouTube (Nick Amstrong)

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I don't get all the heater concerns. I live in Wisconsin. I have had my MME out in temps as low as -19F. The heater has always provided as much heat as I could want and has done so quickly--and more quickly than any ICE vehicle I have driven. Is my car out of spec and providing better heat than the Ford engineers wanted it to?

Last edited:

YFD_233

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Durango RT,
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
The recirculate will fog the windows. On one of my cars years ago I was having huge problems with windows fogging all the time to the point of not seeing. Finally read the manual and it was recirculate on.

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
Sure. That was a facepalm. In response to your statement.

When you don’t run the HVAC do you then open a window to avoid this dreaded CO2 buildup problem?

I now see it was already debunked in a post just previous to mine anyway; so my less than scientific response was unnecessary.

Last edited:

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The recirculate will fog the windows. On one of my cars years ago I was having huge problems with windows fogging all the time to the point of not seeing. Finally read the manual and it was recirculate on.
I have had fogged windows twice in the last decade, cleared them in less than a minute. I do not appreciate what Ford has done to distract my driving every few minutes without cause, and to blast me with cold air at the same time.

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
When you don’t run the HVAC do you then open a window to avoid this dreaded CO2 buildup problem?
Yes I do, and **your** emoji is unnecessary. And I always run HVAC, and avoiding recirculation unless there is some smelly vehicle in front of me.
Anyway, its the second request for evidence and I will do measurements.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Chemically, CO2 is more dense than an oxygenated air mixture given the same temperature. The reason that firefighters tell you to crawl on the ground to avoid CO2 poisoning is because in a fire the CO2 is superheated and therefore will rise. Since the gases coming out of the HVAC during a heat cycle are probably a mix of whatever is in the cabin, CO2 in itself will not rise. It will be a part of the overall make-up of the volume of gas in the car, so it will slowly build up. That is part of why there's a nanny programmed into the HVAC to disable recirc. The nanny is just too aggressive. ?‍♂?

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
I've noticed smelling the windshield washer fluid when sprayed. That, in addition to a heavy diesel smell, makes me think the air intake is poorly placed on this car.

Makes the recirc issue that much worse overall.

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
Yes, which makes perfect sense since the source air doesn't have to be heated as much. This adds to the frustration that the recirculate setting won't stay enabled for more than a few minutes.
recirculating air does not draw fresh, cold, dry air from the outside (in winter). As the interior air continues to recirculate and heat, the dew point will quickly rise and match the ambient air temperature, resulting in air saturating with water vapor. In short, you’ll begin to see your windows fog up within minutes. It’s the reason why, without A/C use to extract the water content (which each passenger exhales), air recirculation is on a timer.

you may get a heat benefit, but soon you’ll either have to run the A/C or open the windows to defog your windshield.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Our coastal maritime climate excels at producing high humidity (99% occasionally but normally 70-80%) and it’s currently 83% at 39 degrees. So hitting the dew point on winter mornings/evenings is like all the time. My strategy evolved with virtually every vehicle I’ve owned is heavy on the defog.. and just use that to heat the car with a rear window slightly cracked. On the MME I’ll precondition, and run window defog at say 78 degrees. And turn it on and off.. maybe 8-15 times in 44 miles. I can keep the car comfortable for 20-30 minutes. And I dress for winter so I’m not uncomfortable.. this keeps climate use at ~4%. If I’m just lazy and run cabin heat at say 70 degrees on auto at bar “-“ I’ll use 14% for climate.

I gave up on recirculate. If I could duty cycle that “auto” cycle at say 25 percent of time.. I’d be happy.

PNWEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I get more fogging when I turn it on auto anyway….

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I've noticed smelling the windshield washer fluid when sprayed. That, in addition to a heavy diesel smell, makes me think the air intake is poorly placed on this car.

Makes the recirc issue that much worse overall.
It's most likely the camera washer fluid

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
It's most likely the camera washer fluid
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I thought most HVAC intakes were at the base of the windshield, not at the front of the car, but it could definitely be that and make more sense as to why I didn't have this issue on my GTI.
Sponsored