abcxyz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(ex-'21 MME FE); 2seaters, crotch rockets
Occupation
retired (engineer)
Country flag
Howdy all. Bought the vehicle end of Feb 2021. Found the forum last spring but hadn't time to join til now.

me: Old ... my sixties are a distant memory. Retired EE (almost a decade): a decade in electronics, 3 decades in utility power systems, paid for college wrenching on motorcycles. Learned Fortran in the 60's. Owned probably 40 some cars (Vette's, wagons, trucks, vans, but no SUV's til now) and helped build some (23 T buckets, blown 3 wheelers). Owned maybe 30 bikes, mostly street. Used to ride my Kawa widowmaker triples on the ice & snow in Wyoming, til I could afford a car (yay-a heater!).

The car: First Edition, Grabber Blue, flat out love this car. The purchase was pure serendipity. Once I heard Ford was working on something better than a compliance car, I dug in, comparing it to the other brand's model Y. I wasn't excited about an SUV body style, but I wanted to support the technology (same reason we bought three hybrids- starting in '02). Ford's specs met our needs, we never looked at the Y again. Decided on Valentines Day that we'd try to see one in the flesh.

Most dealers between Colo Springs and Fort Collins had some on order and none in stock ... or on site but spoken for and you couldn't drive. One dealer had a couple in stock ... folks ordered but had opted out of purchase (yeah, really). We got a test drive. Whoa ... loved it. My wife loved the color and it was close to her birthday and also a big anniversary coming up. Paperwork took a few days, brought it home first week of March. Serendipity.

After a few weeks of feeding the ego of an elderly hot rodder, I switched it to whisper and left it there since. Working on mild hypermiling to see what I can squeeze out of it. Really like the one pedal drive, I may have used the brake pedal a dozen times so far.

Have almost 5k on it now. It's had two trips over Estes/Trail Ridge last summer and a half dozen from the I-25 front range to Fraser via I-70 and Berthoud Pass. It's a monster at hill climbing. Last two trips had snow and slush in the high country - no issues. I didn't try to slide it, but it didn't break loose on it's own either. Trip one has not been reset since new, it shows 3.7 Mi/kwh for 4970 miles. Range is of course decreasing a bit as we have started using heat along the way (even after preconditioning). Been charging at level 2 with the supplied charger. Haven't tried fast dc, not many around here & no need (yet).

Getting 18" blizzaks put on tomorrow as we'll spend much of the winter in Fraser and I like to have robust traction (used to run studded snows on the Prius). I expect to lose another 10% of range, we'll see what the first drives do.

I'll gather our many likes (& few dislikes) on the car and try to post in a few weeks. Likewise for the app, after I do a delete and reload to make sure the flaky stuff I am starting to despise isn't my doing.

That's all for now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Thanks for the writeup and welcome to the forum! Love to hear more of your thoughts on the car in the future.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Welcome aboard!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Welcome and love your configuration choice!
Sponsored