Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
FYI If you have a Grizzl-E charger and have experienced a flashing red ring or a "Charge station fault" error, it may be due to the J1772 plug being the wrong size and fitting too tightly in the Mach-E charge port so it doesn't insert fully. This causes a poor connection and the car to set errors (see my TSB for more information). Errors may also cause the 12V battery to drain on some vehicles. I've seen this issue reported multiple times with Grizzl-E chargers, it seems Grizzl-E may have a manufacturing quality issue with the J1772 plug dimensional specifications causing the plug not to fit properly (too tight).

Charge station faults are not normal, if you get these something is wrong and needs to be fixed!

For those that don't know the correct feel, the J1772 should click in easily with one hand. If it requires two hands or a lot of force to click in, it's likely defective and should be replaced. Call United Chargers tech support and request a new cord. Again, the fit is important so you don't get errors or damage your charge port from a poor connection.

After plugging in, always look and make sure you see a blue light blinking on the charge port before walking away!

I've also seen an uptick in Grizzl-E board failures causing strange charging behavior, such as saying the car is charging while not connected to the vehicle or creating faults.

In short, it seems like most of the charging problems with Grizzl-E's are due to issues with the EVSE or J1772 plug, not necessarily the Mach-E.

You may contact me for assistance troubleshooting the cause of charge faults if you like.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-E Charge station fault, tight J1772 plug, red ring error IMG_1339
Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-E Charge station fault, tight J1772 plug, red ring error IMG_1332 2.PNG

Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-E Charge station fault, tight J1772 plug, red ring error IMG_1350

Last edited:

gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE (Declined Delivery); 2023 BMW iX M60
Country flag
FYI If you have a Grizzl-E charger and have experienced a flashing red ring or a "Charge station fault" error, it may be due to the J1772 plug being the wrong size and fitting too tightly in the Mach-E charge port so it doesn't insert fully. This causes a poor connection and the car to set errors (see my TSB for more information). Errors may also cause the 12V battery to drain on some vehicles. I've seen this issue reported multiple times with Grizzl-E chargers, it seems Grizzl-E may have a manufacturing quality issue with the J1772 plug dimensional specifications causing the plug not to fit properly (too tight).

Charge station faults are not normal, if you get these something is wrong and needs to be fixed!

For those that don't know the correct feel, the J1772 should click in easily with one hand. If it requires two hands or a lot of force to click in, it's likely defective and should be replaced. Call United Chargers tech support and request a new cord. Again, the fit is important so you don't get errors or damage your charge port from a poor connection.

I've also seen an uptick in Grizzl-E board failures causing strange charging behavior, such as saying the car is charging while not connected to the vehicle or creating faults.

In short, it seems like most of the charging problems with Grizzl-E's are due to issues with the EVSE or J1772 plug, not necessarily the Mach-E.

You may contact me for assistance troubleshooting the cause of charge faults if you like.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-E Charge station fault, tight J1772 plug, red ring error IMG_1350

Oh man, I just ordered one of these (non-smart, Avalanche edition) from Amazon because it seemed like it was one of the most reliable for an outside installation. I hadn't checked the forum on chargers for a week or two, so I didn't see this. I have an electrician scheduled for Monday for the installation. Perhaps I should just send it back to Amazon unopened? I really don't want any issues when I get my '23 next month (hopefully).

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Oh man, I just ordered one of these (non-smart, Avalanche edition) from Amazon because it seemed like it was one of the most reliable for an outside installation. I hadn't checked the forum on chargers for a week or two, so I didn't see this. I have an electrician scheduled for Monday for the installation. Perhaps I should just send it back to Amazon unopened? I really don't want any issues when I get my '23 next month (hopefully).
I’m not advising people not to buy Grizzl-E’s, just saying some of them may have an issue. I don’t have enough data to say if the new ones have the issue, maybe it’s fine.

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have a grizzl-E smart, and mine works just fine. So it's not like every single one has this issue. And as OP said, if your plug doesn't fit right, call the company to have it replaced.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
This is United Chargers response to this
Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-E Charge station fault, tight J1772 plug, red ring error 1669732943011

LAZARU5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I was using a Grizzl-E Classic EVSE with a Taycan for 10 months without issues. Then one day the J1772 plug would not release. Tried several things and finally got the plug to release. This happened two more times. On the third time it took about three hours before I was able to disconnect the J1772 plug. I never determined if the problem was with the car or the EVSE.

I reached out to Grizzl-E support by email a couple of times. All of my messages were ignored. I purchased the EVSE directly from Grizzl-E rather than Amazon. I wrote the Grizzl-E off as a lost cause.

I changed the EVSE to the new Tesla Wall Connector with J1772 plug. The Tesla EVSE is a very elegant solution for a home charger.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/j1772-wall-connector?sku=1509549-02-B

I have since tried the Grizzl-E with an MB EQS SUV and it worked fine without locking up in the port. I am holding onto the Grizzl-E to try with a Mach E when the recession is in full force and the local dealers drop the ADM.

If you own a Grizzl-E EVSE I would not count on any support from the manufacturer.

Mach-e4x

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e 4x, 2016 Mazda CX5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have the Grizzl-e classic black, NEMA 14-50 plug, 40 amp. installed just inside my garage.
Works every time, plug fits right, one hand, easy click.
I bought it in March so this year will be the first Winter weather use.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was using a Grizzl-E Classic EVSE with a Taycan for 10 months without issues. Then one day the J1772 plug would not release. Tried several things and finally got the plug to release. This happened two more times. On the third time it took about three hours before I was able to disconnect the J1772 plug. I never determined if the problem was with the car or the EVSE.

I reached out to Grizzl-E support by email a couple of times. All of my messages were ignored. I purchased the EVSE directly from Grizzl-E rather than Amazon. I wrote the Grizzl-E off as a lost cause.

I changed the EVSE to the new Tesla Wall Connector with J1772 plug. The Tesla EVSE is a very elegant solution for a home charger.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/j1772-wall-connector?sku=1509549-02-B

I have since tried the Grizzl-E with an MB EQS SUV and it worked fine without locking up in the port. I am holding onto the Grizzl-E to try with a Mach E when the recession is in full force and the local dealers drop the ADM.

If you own a Grizzl-E EVSE I would not count on any support from the manufacturer.
I’ve actually read and experienced quite the opposite. It’s weird they didn’t respond to you. They’ve been very responsive and switched out units for users on here. Wonder if something else happened with email?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the Grizzl-e classic black, NEMA 14-50 plug, 40 amp. installed just inside my garage.
Works every time, plug fits right, one hand, easy click.
I bought it in March so this year will be the first Winter weather use.
I have had zero issues as well, knock on drywall.

FordFamily

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium, 2005 Escape Hybrid
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have a different tale of woe. I use a 2013 Leviton home charging station: 3.8 kW, 16A. First purchased for my 2013 plug-in Hybrid Cmax. Then in 2019 I got rid of the (albeit first year) multi-problem piece of junk and leased a Leaf. (waiting for Ford). The charger worked fine till the lease ended. My MME arrived October 7, 2022. The J1772 plug was snug but it could be forced a bit, rarely with a required push to connect and click. Tonight it's so tight I cannot get it to connect, even with a hardy push in. All the connectors look fine, as they do on the car. Cannot get it to connect, period.

I opened the rear floor and unpacked the Ford charging cable for the first time. (I am need of a charge, even if slow 110V). Slipped in nicely. But didn't click. The hook is busted off. It's plastic!!! So back to the dealer to get a replacement.

Back to the home mounted Leviton. Anybody else have tight J1772 problems (other than the Grizzl-e)? Replacement plug and 25' cable lists at $800! Any other ideas, short of replacing the whole unit, or just the plug (~$100) which looks on video like a difficult replacement project?

Thanks for your combined experience and thoughts...

FordFamily

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium, 2005 Escape Hybrid
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I got no reply to the above. The Charge Port is so tight that most J1772 do not go in far enough to lock and charge. These and my home charger are NOT Grizzl-e. Of course, the Ford charger that comes with the car does go in. Anyone with this problem? What the heck makes this happen? Bad charger port part?

kellstd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2011 Infiniti G37 convertible
Country flag

After plugging in, always look and make sure you see a blue light blinking on the charge port before walking away!

IMG_1339.jpg
IMG_1332 2.PNG

IMG_1350.jpg

Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl-E Charge station fault, tight J1772 plug, red ring error 1669732943011