Tremor38

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I was looking up chargers and noticed Grizzl e is coming out with a smart wifi enabled charger in a couple months.
https://grizzl-e.com/grizzl-e-smart/
It says it’s compatible with any OCPP 1.6 app. Does that mean they won’t have their own app but will use some generic app?
Thoughts on this? I like the idea of this manufacturer as its Canadian made for Canadian climates like mine.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzl E smart charger coming 3156722A-E912-413E-8705-5FFCA9FF76E5
Sponsored

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
They are making some charger with a built in screen and apps running on an android platform. I can't think of one reason why anyone would need something like there - it is adding complication to something where it is not needed. If you want canadian made, and something more reliable in harsh climate just get the regular grizzle, the car has all the software it needs to control the charging.

In fact, if you want to be 100% accurate the "charger" is actually built into the car. The thing you install on your wall is actually an EVSE - which is a fancy term for a power receptacle.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
They are making some charger with a built in screen and apps running on an android platform. I can't think of one reason why anyone would need something like there - it is adding complication to something where it is not needed. If you want canadian made, and something more reliable in harsh climate just get the regular grizzle, the car has all the software it needs to control the charging.

In fact, if you want to be 100% accurate the "charger" is actually built into the car. The thing you install on your wall is actually an EVSE - which is a fancy term for a power receptacle.
I suspect you may be talking about the Alpha EVSE, which does indeed sound like overkill for a home installation. Agreed on car being smart enough to handle charging on its own, but I think the major appeal of a smart EVSE is coordination with your electricity provider (and just the grid in general) to charge during periods of low demand etc. I'm not sure which utility providers in US offer this service.

OP, according to their Twitter account, they will be coming out with their own app as well, though a tweet is hardly a guarantee...

I am more curious if they will actually release an upgrade board for the original GrizzlE, like they hinted they would. I pulled the trigger on the 'dumb' version in November so I could get the tax credit (before it got extended.) It's certainly a nice piece of equipment and very solid. While I think my electric company is months/years away from smart grid features, it would be nice to have wifi connectivity for whenever the day comes.
Sponsored