Grizzle Wall Charger / Chargepoint / Ford Home and two GFCI?

MrRongoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR Red/Blk Onyx
Country flag
Anyone using either the Grizzle or Charpoint wall chargers? Are they any good or should I wait for the Ford one to become available again?

Also, I currently have a 50amp breaker running to a 14-50 outlet for the mobile charger. I know you're not supposed to have the two GFCI in a row if I were to just plug into this existing outlet, but if I did do this hypothetically, is there a safety issue involved? I assume as long as both are 50 amp trips, one or the other will go.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Anyone using either the Grizzle or Charpoint wall chargers? Are they any good or should I wait for the Ford one to become available again?

Also, I currently have a 50amp breaker running to a 14-50 outlet for the mobile charger. I know you're not supposed to have the two GFCI in a row if I were to just plug into this existing outlet, but if I did do this hypothetically, is there a safety issue involved? I assume as long as both are 50 amp trips, one or the other will go.
The Griz and CP are both good chargers. The CP can provide max current if you hardwire it on 60A circuit so it is a more comparable product match to the Ford wall unit.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

I have 2 Grizzle units, one in each house. They are both plugged into a 14-50 outlet for maximum flexibility. One I installed completely myself and one I had the 14-50 installed as part of a panel upgrade. Both installed the same way and passed inspection. They work great and I use the MME to control charging. I even called Grizzle about needing GFCI breakers, because one contractor, who I did not use was telling me they were required. Grizzle said there is a GFCI in the unit and another would interfere with the operation of the unit. They said show the inspector the manual if necessary. We are still on 2017 electrical code. Two other contractors and 2 building inspectors confirmed a 2nd GFCI in the breakers is not required. If you have to put in a GFCI then I would hardwire it.

OP
OP
MrRongoose

MrRongoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have 2 Grizzle units, one in each house. They are both plugged into a 14-50 outlet for maximum flexibility. One I installed completely myself and one I had the 14-50 installed as part of a panel upgrade. Both installed the same way and passed inspection. They work great and I use the MME to control charging. I even called Grizzle about needing GFCI breakers, because one contractor, who I did not use was telling me they were required. Grizzle said there is a GFCI in the unit and another would interfere with the operation of the unit. They said show the inspector the manual if necessary. We are still on 2017 electrical code. Two other contractors and 2 building inspectors confirmed a 2nd GFCI in the breakers is not required. If you have to put in a GFCI then I would hardwire it.
I don't have to, just convenience since the plug already has a GFCI on the breaker. I don't want to remove it in case I need to use a charger eventually that doesn't have it built in like the mobile one

JMSMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Porsche Taycan,ā€™21 Audi Etron, Town&Country
Country flag
We have one of each. No problems with either charger, thus far.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzle Wall Charger / Chargepoint / Ford Home and two GFCI? C93DC98A-9120-44C7-A908-54150AEA988F
Ford Mustang Mach-E Grizzle Wall Charger / Chargepoint / Ford Home and two GFCI? DC6DE260-EF0C-4F2E-8E9F-10044A10AB04

HBGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 MME Prem LR-RD; 2013 Focus Electric
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
I have the Grizzl-E Classic and am very pleased with it. I had to upgrade from a 30-amp to a 50-amp breaker on my electrical panel. It's a very, well-made charger that compares favorably with the Clipper Creek I previously had. I use it in 40-amp mode and find the charge rate consistent with what Grizzl-E stated. Highly recommended!

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e Black
Country flag
The Ford Connected Charger is available again. I got mine 2 weeks ago. I have had it on order for months though.

OP
OP
MrRongoose

MrRongoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Ford Connected Charger is available again. I got mine 2 weeks ago. I have had it on order for months though.
Thanks but if this is correct, I will be either waiting or getting another

1621822176218.png

OP
OP
MrRongoose

MrRongoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a Grizzl-E plugged into a 14-50 outlet; since the outlet is outside a GFCI breaker was required. Iā€™ve had zero issues with this setup.
Thank you. This is what I was hoping to hear. I'm in the same boat. Plus, if I ever want to use the mobile charger, I'd prefer the GFCI. Mine's on the way so hopefully it'll work. Worst case is, I get nuisance trips and I figured if I do, I can swap the breaker if it becomes bothersome.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you're handy you can get a non-GFCI breaker for $10 to $15 and put it in yourself, keeping the GFCI breaker for future use. The concern with 2 GFCI's is that they interfere with one another due to the way that they work, causing inadvertent trips of the circuit.

Where I live they're still on the 2017 NEC so a GFCI wasn't required.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Thank you. This is what I was hoping to hear. I'm in the same boat. Plus, if I ever want to use the mobile charger, I'd prefer the GFCI. Mine's on the way so hopefully it'll work. Worst case is, I get nuisance trips and I figured if I do, I can swap the breaker if it becomes bothersome.
I read that a GFCI isn't completely necessary with the Mobile Charger, is that true?

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Bought the CP at Home Depot. Get a 30% rebate in CA for the charger and install costs. Very substantial charger and works great!
Sponsored