AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
This is an issue that keeps coming up in many MME reviews. The indicated range seems laughably low at a full state of charge, and they end up getting significantly more miles than advertised. Seems like the current software is being overly conservative out of the gate.
These are also being test driven with people that are pushing the vehicle. As someone who has driven EVs for years, itā€™s not hard to confuse the Guess o Meter with some aggressive driving or seriously cold conditions
Sponsored

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
That model has a very nice color.

As for the ridged hood, that is a structural feature that strengthens the hood. I have read complaints about car hoods that are flat but flex too much. The folds in a flat surface increases the strength along the fold, similar to what corrugations in the paper do to make cardboard stronger than plain paper. Only the body repair guys complain that such folds makes repairs harder to fix.

And that ridged hood is not exclusive to the Mustang. My Fusion also has a ridged hood. That is one of the features where the Fusion looks like the Mustang's bigger and more refined brother.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This is an issue that keeps coming up in many MME reviews. The indicated range seems laughably low at a full state of charge, and they end up getting significantly more miles than advertised. Seems like the current software is being overly conservative out of the gate.
I'm starting to see why Tesla just displays the rated range instead of trying to guess. It probably won't really go that far, but people probably don't care because the big number on the screen makes them feel good.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I called my dealership today, and they had an AWD Standard Range (Select Model) on the lot; it was an orphan because the person who ordered it decided to order up to a Premium AWD ER. Even though there are several Premium MMEs on the lot, they're all customer orders so no test drives
icon8.png

However, the 'orphan' was available for a test drive, so I took the opportunity to get in some back road driving this afternoon on rare sunny winter day in Ann Arbor. My thoughts are as follows:
  1. It was better than I had expected; even though I was driving the Select SR AWD. I have a Premium ER AWD on order, and I expect that one will be even more fun to drive.
  2. The seats were perfectly comfortable; these aren't fully-supporting wrap-around-your-ribcage sports seats, but they don't have to be.
  3. One-pedal driving was perfect. This is only my second time driving a BEV (first time was a Tesla Model Y about six weeks ago), and I adapted to it quickly. I hardly used the brakes at all on my test drive.
  4. Comparing this to the Model Y (not apples-to-apples because I drove the base version), I would say that the key difference comes down to the structure of the vehicle. The MME feels firmer, tighter, and is quieter (no unwanted frame/panel noises that I got in the Model Y). Also, the interior is just better than the Tesla.
  5. This is more subjective, but I really like looking out the windshield to a multiple-ridged hood. The view from the windshield gives the car its personality from the driver's perspective, and seeing the big Mustang ridged hood makes me feel more confident behind the wheel; it's just more pleasing to see all that metal in front of you, especially when it's shaped the way it is. Kudos to the MME design team for granting us that simple pleasure!
  6. Steering was responsive...even under Unbridled mode, I didn't find the steering too stiff. I spent only a few minutes under "Engage", and that was fine too.
  7. Suspension was firm yet comfortable...I'm used to driving a BMW 3-series, and that car is very stiff, so I have a unique frame of reference here.
  8. I was on the highway and needed to get around a car to make the exit. I floored it while going 70 mph and quickly found myself at 100 mph before drifting back into the right lane just in time for the exit. I applied the brakes once fully onto the ramp...the braking came off as a bit harsh. Fortunately, once I released the brake pedal, the regenerative braking took over and continued the rapid deceleration necessary to get me from 100 mph back to local street crawl. In other words, the transition from braking to regen was very smooth.
  9. As I said above, the braking needs a bit of fine-tuning, which is also a common complaint among professional reviewers. Hopefully this can be addressed in an OTA. I'll be relying on 1-pedal, as I think they nailed it.
  10. Creeping motion (to finalize parking position or nose ahead at an intersection) is really smooth. I was afraid of the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal under Unbridled mode, but when you're stopped or creeping along, you don't have to worry about hitting it too hard or jerking forward too quickly. The car is nice and gentle when it needs to be, and responds as an ICE car would in this situation.
  11. My 11-year-old son, who came along for the ride, absolutely LOVED it. He was sad that we didn't get to take one of the Rapid Red Premiums out for a ride.
  12. I started with a 100% charge, showing only 137 miles. However, I think the car was really sandbagging here; after I returned (upon driving about 10 miles), it showed a range of 135 miles.
  13. I'm 6'-4", and I had absolutely no issue with my knee bumping into the 15.5" display (see photo). The only people who will have that problem are tall people who insist on moving the seat too far forward.
  14. In summary, I would say my test drive experience was: YUMMY (and I can't wait to get my own MME!)

mme-1.jpg

mme-2.jpg

mme-3.jpg
Thank you I have a Premium SR AWD IB coming so I specially appreciate your comments since there where not too many test drives with an SR AWD so far.

Reactions: ARK

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
100% of new Fords I have driven or friends have driven have brakes with a shockingly quick bite. It always throws people off. I've owned a few new Fords (Taurus, Escape, Fusion, Ranger, F-150, Expedition, regular Mustang) and over time the brakes become more normal in feel, but compared to other brands Ford brakes are always more aggressive. Not sure why but it's consistent across the company's products. I'm guessing it has to do with the pads/discs because it sounds like the regen is pretty natural from your description.
Interesting, my son mentioned the "touchy" brakes in my 2011 Edge after driving it the other day.....I never really thought about it that way. Another data point.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
These are also being test driven with people that are pushing the vehicle. As someone who has driven EVs for years, itā€™s not hard to confuse the Guess o Meter with some aggressive driving or seriously cold conditions
Exactly, the computer is adjusting the range based upon the history of how the persons before you drove the car: Yea, driven hard because we all want to experience the 0-60 feel. Probably best to clear out or reset the range history on the big screen, then see how much the range increases before your very eyes. One other major factor: How cold is outside honey? Burrrrr..., its February.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
100% of new Fords I have driven or friends have driven have brakes with a shockingly quick bite. It always throws people off. I've owned a few new Fords (Taurus, Escape, Fusion, Ranger, F-150, Expedition, regular Mustang) and over time the brakes become more normal in feel, but compared to other brands Ford brakes are always more aggressive. Not sure why but it's consistent across the company's products. I'm guessing it has to do with the pads/discs because it sounds like the regen is pretty natural from your description.
My wife has a 2019 Ford Explorer, so I have a frame of reference. The Explorer's brakes weren't quite as aggressive, but of course I was coming onto an exit ramp going about 100 mph, so...

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Exactly, the computer is adjusting the range based upon the history of how the persons before you drove the car: Yea, driven hard because we all want to experience the 0-60 feel. Probably best to clear out or reset the range history on the big screen, then see how much the range increases before your very eyes. One other major factor: How cold is outside honey? Burrrrr..., its February.
Yep, I didn't take the range estimate seriously and you're correct about the previous drivers setting up the low range expectation. It was cold, but not frigid (low 30s). Given the model in question (EPA range of 211 miles), the real world range should have been closer to 170-180 miles given the colder temps.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
I'm starting to see why Tesla just displays the rated range instead of trying to guess. It probably won't really go that far, but people probably don't care because the big number on the screen makes them feel good.
I can always be worse...70km with with a Chinese made Model3 SR+
youtu.be/9N05pHUymtM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Groundhog Day MME Test Drive - Ann Arbor, MI 4AA20B88-CD63-4265-94CA-69D579941795

Last edited:

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
Suppose there's a post to evaluate the furniture in your house.

Half the people here will argue with you about the topic, and swear your couch isn't brown, even though you told them it is. And they've never seen your house. "How do I know it's your house?" "How do I know your couch is safe?" "How do I know you won't stop supporting your couch?"

I mean, this is expected normal skepticism. Unless you can conclusively prove it's your house, I would be skeptical, too. You are just some somebody making guesses.

Some people will eventually put the pieces together, and figure it out you aren't guessing, or that your guesses are just "too good". Some, though, will never be convinced, for whatever reason. That's perfectly OK. I mean, it's the internet.
I must have missed it. What are your guesses that have been "too good"?

LandSpeed

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select IB
Country flag
Thank you @BadgerGreg .
That is the model I ordered and is now being built (plus the Comfort/Technology Package).
Too bad it didn't end up at my dealer then I wouldn't have to wait.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
There is a way to reset the range. @eponyinIL posted the steps after her initial few rides. She mentions what it was and what it changed to. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/day-2-successes-and-opportunities.3056/post-96606

amu0373

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E SR RW (Q3 2020)
Country flag
What did you think of the rims on that model? Do they look good? This is actually the first picture of that rim seen ā€˜in the wildā€™.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
What did you think of the rims on that model? Do they look good? This is actually the first picture of that rim seen ā€˜in the wildā€™.
Iā€™ve included a closeup of the rims. I think these are 18-inch wheels, as opposed to 19-inch wheels on the Premium. I thought they were ok, but definitely not striking (I think the same of the aero rims on the California Route 1).

B1665412-B41C-4D01-9ABF-ED97BDFEA470.jpeg

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Iā€™ve included a closeup of the rims. I think these are 18-inch wheels, as opposed to 19-inch wheels on the Premium. I thought they were ok, but definitely not striking (I think the same of the aero rims on the California Route 1).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Groundhog Day MME Test Drive - Ann Arbor, MI B1665412-B41C-4D01-9ABF-ED97BDFEA470
Aero rims on CA Rt1 are different. At least according to the brochure.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Groundhog Day MME Test Drive - Ann Arbor, MI 1612473411970
Sponsored