Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The issue is the marketing clearly states that the GT & GTPE have the same size rotors, the current parts guide has the GT using the same rotors as the regular mach-e, as there is only 1 dust shield which is made to accommodate both, the GTPE rotors have a few mm to spare where the normal rotors have a more obvious gap, the photo posted of the GT has that same gap which matches parts but goes against the marketing.

Hence the op wanting clarification and quite rightly expecting to get what has been marketed not a switch a roo, as false advertising tends not to get looked on kindly legally so Ford need to offer an explanation.
Okay thanks.
So, it sounds like the OP doesn't have a car to measure for himself yet?

And it sounds like someone has confirmed the dust shield is the same for all models?

And nobody has looked at the rear rotors of a GT yet?

If the GT has the same front brakes as the other non-PE models then doesn't it also make sense it would also have the same rear brakes as the other non-PE models? Wouldn't that be super easy to see with a visual check?

The literature says the GT and GTPE have same size rotors front and rear. Has anyone posted photos of the front and rear wheels from a GT? That would be a good clue right there because it would be easy to check.

As far as I can tell.....there is no version of 18" rear rotors on any model so if the GT has the same size rotors front and rear (which can be easily determined by visual comparison) then they would almost certainly have the 19" rotors.

Or of course just pull the wheels and measure the damn things but apparently that hasn't happened yet. If I had a GT or a GTPE available to me then I could answer the OP's question fairly quick.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
They really need an eye roll emoji in the "like" list for all the people who just haven't taken the time to read and keep repeating the same thing over and over.
I've often reached over to give posts the eyeroll reaction and then I remember there isn't one and then I'm thankful because if there was an eyeroll then it would be very difficult to see any of the other reactions on this forum. <sigh> :rolleyes: ?

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Okay thanks.
So, it sounds like the OP doesn't have a car to measure for himself yet?

And it sounds like someone has confirmed the dust shield is the same for all models?

And nobody has looked at the rear rotors of a GT yet?

If the GT has the same front brakes as the other non-PE models then doesn't it also make sense it would also have the same rear brakes as the other non-PE models? Wouldn't that be super easy to see with a visual check?

The literature says the GT and GTPE have same size rotors front and rear. Has anyone posted photos of the front and rear wheels from a GT? That would be a good clue right there because it would be easy to check.

As far as I can tell.....there is no version of 18" rear rotors on any model so if the GT has the same size rotors front and rear (which can be easily determined by visual comparison) then they would almost certainly have the 19" rotors.

Or of course just pull the wheels and measure the damn things but apparently that hasn't happened yet. If I had a GT or a GTPE available to me then I could answer the OP's question fairly quick.
There's no 19" rotor or 18" rotors on any Mach e and the GT does not have the same rotors front and rear.

Jesus Christ everyone stop referring to that stupid marketing material like it means ANYTHING it's all completely wrong and we've known it since day one.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Ok guys...check me here. The GT brakes sure look to me to be the same size as the premium when seeing the caliper clearance and how much heat shield is visible versus the GTPE.

This is pretty messed up if so as all the specs indicated the GTPE brakes are the same as the GT.

Can a GT and GTPE owner go measure their rotors to confirm?

1634128536769.png

@Ford Motor Company
There's no angle where I can get my GTPE to look like that GT disc/shield. Even at extreme angles all you see with the GTPE is the lip of the heat shield barely peeking out, not 1 cm or more of the sheild past the lip. It really does look like that GT has smaller discs.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
If I read the technical documents correctly. It appears the Select, CR1 and Premiums (including FE) have 18" rotors front and 17" rear.

GT and GTPE show as having 19" rotors front and rear.
<snip>
Someone at Ford clearly cannot do math. The spec on the GT and GT-PE front rotor is 385mm OD. That is 15.16”. Assuming the marketing monkey (am I racist for saying that about someone in marketing?) made similar mistakes on the non-GT models, they would have ~14” rotors in front.

I do not have a car yet, but it seems a pretty simple matter to remove a rotor to measure the OD or to simply use a tailor’s tape to measure the rotor circumference and divide by pi to get the OD. We just need an owner of a GT and an owner of a GT-PE to measure, to put to bed the argument about GT vs. GT-PE rotors, then an owner of a non-GT to do same.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
There's no angle where I can get my GTPE to look like that GT disc/shield. Even at extreme angles all you see with the GTPE is the lip of the heat shield barely peeking out, not 1 cm or more of the sheild past the lip. It really does look like that GT has smaller discs.
Yeah, the parallax from a photo through the wheels is going to make things look wonky. Don’t rely on that at all. Direct measurements is what this thread needs. Anything else is conjecture.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
use a tailor’s tape to measure the rotor circumference
I thought about doing that yesterday but not until after I already had the wheel back on. I'll do it if we manage to get someone with a GT to do it.

Can just use a string if you don't have a tailor's tape.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I thought about doing that yesterday but not until after I already had the wheel back on. I'll do it if we manage to get someone with a GT to do it.

Quick, everyone with a GT or GTPE run out to the garage to measure your ...

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Here's a better pic I stole from the aftermarket wheel thread of a GT.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT and GTPE brakes are NOT the same? 1634216727641

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Yep. Just use the strin to get the circumference and then measure the string. ?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Quick, everyone with a GT or GTPE run out to the garage to measure your ...
That’s the advantage in being a dog. We don’t measure our…

We do compare butt odors though. ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

EVs sniff exhaust pipes -- until the light changes.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

"how did that dog get a driver's license?" ?

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
This has now become the 1/4 mile track results post of brake threads, only 70+ pages of comments to go ?

That said, Ford/Brembo Marketing/Comms have some real problems with their press releases and spec. sheets.

1. Falsely/mistakenly stating GTPE and GT rotors/calipers are the same.

2. Printing info. about 17”-19” rotor sizes is just preposterous. There are few road cars in the world that utilize rotors larger than 16”+ and all are behemoths or exotics, or exotic behemoths. 18 and 19” rotors are practically unheard of. Plus, it’s even worse when they’re printing that for cars with 18-20” wheels. There would be no clearance for calipers. We’d need 21-23” wheels.
Sponsored